RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Ack!

Boolit Master

Ack!

I'm lost.

I need to pick a NOE expander plug for use with .300 Blackout. I'll be sizing my boolits to either .309 or .310.

Which exact plug/s would I need?

Thanks.
    NRA Benefactor.

About 2 thous. under what you size. Could go one thous. if a bolt gun. Gives ~ 1 1/2 thous. neck tension.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

The problem....I don't understand the NOE numbering system with the two numbers.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

The expander plugs are stepped. It expands the brass to say .307 for neck tension (smaller number) then just over the size of the boolit so it sits square for seating like a lyman "M" die ie .309. So you need to get a plug that is .01 or .02 over the diameter of the cast boolit. If you r boolit is .309 you'll need a .307/.311 plug. https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...x-307-exp-plug

Boolit Grand Master

When I purchased my last two NOE moulds 1.)#412 - 237 - SWC (Keith) and 2.) #413 - 215 - WC (413432) , I was also unsure of which expander plug to order with the moulds so I posted the question on the NOE forum .
    I indicated I was sizing both boolits to .412" , for use in 41 magnum model 58 S&W revolver .

I got three responses , in short order , advising which size to use . Glad I did because I was going to order the wrong one . The one I was advised to order works like a champ and I'm glad I took the time to ask the question on the site that had members familiar with NOE and the expander plugs .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    i would go with the .312X.308 you can allways pol**** down a bit but cant make it bigger but it you dont mind spending the money for 2 get the .311X.307 also

Boolit Master

The numbering system is pretty straightforward. For example, if the bullet were
    309: Select an expander size that has numbers that straddle the bullet size. E.g. 311x307.

The first number will give a M profile flair of the case mouth of .311 (a touch bigger than bullet diameter).

The second number is the neck interior diameter. A touch smaller than bullet diameter to set neck tension.

So the place to start is how much neck tension is desired (the lower value). The higher value should be greater than the bullet diameter.

The NOE expanders are a great concept.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield