RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 Colt conversion of .36 caliber small frame Colt percussion pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    .38 ACP?

...runs at about 26000 PSI compared to the 12 or so thousand PSI of .38 Long Colt...so, basically twice the Pressure...

Do you maybe mean .38 S & W?
    Actually the revolver being made by Uberti and imported by Cimmaron is chambered for the .380 ACP.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ca...ion-380-acp-6/

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    .38 ACP?

...runs at about 26000 PSI compared to the 12 or so thousand PSI of .38 Long Colt...so, basically twice the Pressure...

Do you maybe mean .38 S & W?
    I think my IP may be drifting a off topic a bit. I personally have no interest in converting anything to .38 acp. Only mentioned it since it appears to be the only current cartridge "conversion" around for the small frame .36 Colt Pocket Navy. The Cimmaron pistol isn't really a conversion, just another new pistol from Italy likely built on specs different from an original Pocket Navy. As an aside I might ask if the .38 acp has any business being discussed in a forum label "Black Power Cartridges"? OK, I know, I'm only a new kid on the block.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vetpathdoc View Post
    I think my IP may be drifting a off topic a bit. I personally have no interest in converting anything to .38 acp. Only mentioned it since it appears to be the only current cartridge "conversion" around for the small frame .36 Colt Pocket Navy. The Cimmaron pistol isn't really a conversion, just another new pistol from Italy likely built on specs different from an original Pocket Navy. As an aside I might ask if the .38 acp has any business being discussed in a forum label "Black Power Cartridges"? OK, I know, I'm only a new kid on the block.
    Sorry, but it is NOT chambered for the cartridge you mentioned. It is chambered for the .380, an entirely different cartridge aka 9mm Kurz.

Also, from the factory, Colt’s did not convert the Pocket 36s as the ratchet geometry on the percussion cylinder is wrong for rimmed cartridges. The “conversion” consisted of newly machined cylinders and a new hand.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 02-08-2020 at 07:46 PM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Sorry, but it is NOT chambered for the cartridge you mentioned. It is chambered for the .380, an entirely different cartridge aka 9mm Kurz.

Also, from the factory, Colt’s did not convert the Pocket 36s as the ratchet geometry on the percussion cylinder is wrong for rimmed cartridges. The “conversion” consisted of newly machined cylinders and a new hand.

Kevin
    Kevin – Thanks for correcting my error in stating the Cimmaron cartridge Colt Pocket Navy comes in 38 acp. It is as you say a .380.
    On page 311 of McDowell’s book “A Study of Colt Conversions…” a photo shows a converted Pocket Navy cylinder. So, in some cases, the original cylinder was modified. The longer, 2 stage, hand found in many of the large and small frame conversions was apparently necessary to accommodate the re-cutting of ratchets in modified cylinders. I think new cylinders were much more common for the Pocket Police pistol conversion. Fluting done on the original cylinders reduced strength after re-boring the cylinder for conversion. McDowell also mentions in his book the factory records for small frame conversions are much less complete than those found for large frame conversions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12