RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Leupold m8 on a springer

Leupold m8 on a springer

Will an M8 hold up on a 177 Springer? Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Buddy

If not, Leupold will fix it for free. Lifetime warranty.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a rws 1 side cocker that eats a rifle designed scope. the double recoil and forward recoil does it.It was even hard on the rear aperture sight I put on it.Rifle scopes are set up for the normal rifles recoil rear ward the air fun scopes are the opposite. Lepould has most versions in air rifle models also.

On the reverse a friend got a good deal on a 6-20 lepould air rifle scope and mounted it on a heavy 243 varmint rifle. Inside 1000 rds the adjustments were very stiff and fine adjustments very iffy. Above is the explanation lepould gave

Moderator Emeritus

I would be quite apprehensive re putting any 'scope NOT specifically designed for a springer or similar air rifle on one! 'Specially a great one as the Leupold M8.

Leupold has a great customer service -- https://www.leupold.com/service-support/contact-us -- and provides telephone support 5AM thru 6PM Pacific Standard Time Monday through Fridays, at 1-800-538-7653 / 1-800-LEUPOLD. For the value of your great 'scope, I'd surely ring them and listen to their recommendations.
    BEST!
    geo

Thanks!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    I contacted Leupold on that same issue. Their response was, all of their scopes are spring airgun rated, plus they are guaranteed for life if they break. My concern would be the parallax issue on the non adjustable scopes, as they are typically factory set @ 150 yards. Airguns are shot at closer distances, so the parallax will have to be reset, either by the factory for $75, or by yourself, if you are inclined. It's not that hard, as I have done several Leupolds, and other makes.

I prefer to set the parallax myself, as I can get it just the way I want it, rather than have the factory set it to their specs, and not be quite right for my eyes.

It is very true that most rifle scopes will not hold up to the double recoil, of opposite directions, from a spring powered airgun, as they are designed to only withstand one direction.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 02-02-2020 at 02:04 PM.

I think I'm gonna try it. I looked up the parallax adjustment. Sounds simple. Thanks folks!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    I contacted Leupold on that same issue. Their response was, all of their scopes are spring airgun rated, plus they are guaranteed for life if they break. My concern would be the parallax issue on the non adjustable scopes, as they are typically factory set @ 150 yards. Airguns are shot at closer distances, so the parallax will have to be reset, either by the factory for $75, or by yourself, if you are inclined. It's not that hard, as I have done several Leupolds, and other makes.

I prefer to set the parallax myself, as I can get it just the way I want it, rather than have the factory set it to their specs, and not be quite right for my eyes.

It is very true that most rifle scopes will not hold up to the double recoil, of opposite directions, from a spring powered airgun, as they are designed to only withstand one direction.
    I just emailed Leupold last week with this specific question. I got an email back the same day from Leupold saying that all of their scopes will hold up on any style airgun. They said use it and don't worry about it, they are all airgun rated.

Beautiful
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    After being very disappointed in every air gun scope I tried I decided to call Leupold and Vortex. They both said the same thing. Our scopes are rated for any gun. The issue then becomes what scope in their line up will focus down to 10 or 20 yards. Leupold just doesn't have much for potions in that area. Vortex has two that I use and like very much. The Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 and the Vortex Diamondback Tac 6-24x50 FFP.
    This is the Diamondback.

The first one I had was the Crossfire II. I took it off after 5000 rounds and put it on my 17HMR. I bought the Diamondback to extend my range and effectiveness on Varmints out to longer ranges. The Diamondback has been on my Air Arms TX200 for about 2000 rounds now. With the BKL triple mounts I never have to adjust the scope it just stays put. Also I have never had a bit of trouble with the either scopes. Both of these will focus below 10 yards.

I also called Leupold before I bought my VX1 1-4x for my R1. Just as above, it is good to go on a springer.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Great pics!! Thanks!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    You can always save that leupold for something else. I bought four of these Tasco mil dot and target turret varmint optics For $27.99. 3 in 10x and one in 24x. The 24x are gone at this price but the 10x are down to $24.99 and is my favorite between the two. I am crystal clear at 25 feet zoomed to 10x....

https://www.amazon.com/Varmint-2-5-1.../dp/B0000V2BLU

I bough a couple off eBay, one off Amazon, and one from Bereli...they all come Bereli.

I put almost a tin of pellets through mine so far with it on. I did have it shoot and to the left after I cited in the next day by half inch but I blame that I’m not having my parallax adjusted properly and I also adjusted my eye piece out a few turns as well after I sighted it in. It has stayed on zero now that I Figured out how to use a close range adjustable objective scope properly. I called Bushnell and they said these are air gun rated and have a lifetime warranty if they ever fail. I realize they are not leupold quality but I hate to admit these cheap scopes are brighter and clearer than most my leupolds. I remember when they first came out two decades ago and sold for $169 in 10x abs $189 or more in 24x.

Just another “cheap” idea. I figured for $25 I wasn’t out much if it didn’t work. I have to say I pretty impressed with the optic. I was big game hunting and was after an Elk of a lifetime or spent hours on end in a deer stand in single digit weather I would go with a higher quality optic but for and air rifle this optic is a Cadillac imo. I’d tell you guys to try one for $25...it’s about as cheap a decent meal or a tin of pellets. And don’t get me wrong I’ve been a scope snob since about 1990 when I bought my first Leupold. I just realized over the last 10 years but they’re better quality optics for cheaper. I bought my first Nikon Monarch a little over 10 years ago. It was a 2 1/2 x 10 with BDC when they first came out. I took it out Elk hunting. I could not see my hand in front of my face it was so dark as got in and set up in front of a waterhole early in the morning. About 10 minutes later I could hear splashing in the water 30 yards away from me. I still couldn’t see my hand in front of my face it was so dark but I picked my gun up to look through my scope at the watering hole to see if I could pull in the light through it for giggles. I saw 17 different elk none with horns... That’s how crystal clear that scope is and pulls light in. I never bought one leupold since. I bet you I have almost 15 Nikon and even more leupolds all the way up to mark 1V’s. I can tell you the cheap Tasco is brighter than just about every leupold in my safe but the Nikons pull in more light. Pretty sad but true. You guys I’m sure will probably laugh at me (I would) until you order one and try it. I was extremely paranoid until I got my first one and tried it out.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-01-2020 at 12:46 PM.