RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Terminal performance of 327 fed mag 125-130gr Keiths

Boolit Bub

Terminal performance of 327 fed mag 125-130gr Keiths

I am trying to find some info on the terminal performance of "Buffalo Bore" type Keith loads for the 327 fed mag(I have a mimic load with the 125gr Rim Rock at around 1300fps), preferably ballistic gel tests, but my google-fu is weak. Is there any testing info out there.

Banned

Perhaps look up information on the .32-20?

Boolit Master
    I did some terminal ballistics tests on my 32/20 T/C Contender a few years back. The muzzle velocity of the Lee 115 gr RFGC boolit was just over 1300 fps. I used soaked, slightly compressed newsprint as my media at 40 yards. I got 12" of penetration with good expansion with the alloy I was using at the time which was not too hard. The test convinced me that in a pinch, I could use it for small deer (under 100# on the hoof) if I didn't have something better but it has proven an excellent medium range (150 yards or less) coyote load if the dog will sit still long enough to get a sight picture. Welcome to our board by the way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vincecyr View Post
    I am trying to find some info on the terminal performance of "Buffalo Bore" type Keith loads for the 327 fed mag(I have a mimic load with the 125gr Rim Rock at around 1300fps), preferably ballistic gel tests, but my google-fu is weak. Is there any testing info out there.
    Nothing I would consider professional. Rimrock uses a hard alloy, and I doubt you will see any expansion unless you hit something hard like a rock. I would think there would be very little difference between this and a 158 grain hard cast 357 magnum as far as penetration.

Boolit Master

Do not know how to chase it down, But years ago John Taffin wrote one of his columns ("Taffin Tests" (?) on the 32-20 he got significant performance out of it using a Contender.
    327 may not be able to perform at that level (velocity)
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I occasionally shoot a 32/20 and 32 H R mag, not the same. I use the Hodgdon reloading web site on my tablet a bunch, it is certainly not difficult to use at all, really easy to compare things. ie: it shows 32/20 115 gr in a 5.5 inch barrel at 900+ fps with 16000 cup pressure. The Lee#2 manual has the same but also has add 10% to the fps for rifles. Hodgdon also has the 327 mag 115 gr in a 5 inch barrel at 1200+ fps with 37000+ psi. I know not exactly what you are looking for with heavier 125 - 130 gr. Which only means you may have to dig into your google-fu learning curve a bit. Have you tried the Henry forum? I think their 327 rifle is popular, they may have data for heavier bullets.
    Never trade luck for skill.