Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Giant AsIan Hornet

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Swing to kill! Don’t baby them!

Three44s
    I would feel more confident with some 22 rimfire birdshot.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master
    There is a reason that God made DDT.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

No, it’s head looked the exact same color is the Asian hornet. It’s stuck out like a sore thumb when I saw it. Are there any hornets that have a dull solid orange head like it?

It almost reminded me of a killer cicada wasp I found a picture of one with an orange head and it says it gets to an inch and a half body. It would make sense since I have cicadas here. I remember the dull orange and black abdomen as well like the photo. It might’ve been one of these on steroids, you can see a picture here...

https://www.rosepestcontrol.com/pest...a-killer-wasp/
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-03-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    I do not know.

But I can predict that you do not have the Yak Killer yet because it is said to kill an average of 40 Japanese annually.

If that were well established here already it would be all over the news.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A recoilless rifle should suffice.

Imported by all the Chinese spys in Vancouver.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    A wing of Phantoms loaded with napalm.

Three44s

Boolit Master

Crazy,

Bet a boat load of fun with a game getter and 22 rf Shot!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    You do not want to piss them off. Use enough gun. .44 or .45 with as much #9 shot as they will hold.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Our Tarantula Hawks down here are twice that big. Luckily they aren't aggressive. As a kid I once had the pleasure of watching one drag a small Tarantula into its hole in the ground. It took him a while.
    Her. The male tarantula wasp doesn't do any heavy lifting in that species; only the females hunt the tarantulas and drag them home to lay their eggs on, which then hatch & feed on the (still living) spider... Just an FYI.

Correction noted and appreciated. Do you know of any occurrence of a human being stung by one? I have never heard of it. I have worked in Ditches where they were and had them swarming all about my face. Other than making me extremely nervous, they never laid a foot or Stinger on me thank goodness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Crazy,

Bet a boat load of fun with a game getter and 22 rf Shot!!

CW
    You will need quick reflexes. They have been clocked at 25 mph. It is estimated that a colony by Fall numbers between 500 and 1000 hornets, they attack anything disturbing their nest full on. They pursue their victims over 200 yds.

I would suggest watching the video of the guy that got himself stung on purpose and then decide if shooting them with a 22 rimfire with bird shot or any firearm for that matter seems reasonable.

Three44s

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I can remember when I was a kid there was a big giant paper wasp nest in an old wood shed on my buddies property. We flipped a quarter and I got to shoot. I shot that nest with 7 1/2 shot and it literally disappeared. The nest had to be about 2 feet or so in diameter and I was about 10 yards away from it. Needless to say I didn’t stick around to see if the bees were coming at me I ran about two blocks up into his house with my buddy trailing behind. We luckily never got stung.

The last time I saw a bunch of bees I was predator hunting in Arizona. I sat out my caller and started calling and saw something shiny hanging from a tree about the size of a garbage can about 50 yards away. I walked up to it and got with about 10 yards. It was the coolest site I’ve ever seen! It was a big giant swarm of bees that all landed on each other. They looked like honeybees... Remind me of some of the killer African honeybees horror shows. There had been thousands of them piled on each other. ...so cool! I wish I would’ve had a camera with at the time. I’m curious at what would cause them to pile on each other like that. The swarm was probably a good 10 to 12 feet in the air swarmed on What looked like a couple of tree branches. It kind a look like when a beekeeper has bees that have landed all over him. Hopefully they were honeybees and are still around. There aren’t enough pollinators in the world.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-03-2020 at 11:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    That is a swarm of honey bees. They have either outgrown their accommodations or the colony split due to an extra queen departing with her workers, etcetra.

Down in that country they could be “Africanized” and that is dangerous to be close to them as they are unpredictable unlike true domesticated honey bees which are quite docile.

We are on the brink of a serious crisis with our bees. The colony decline has caused a lot of finger pointing but little progress. It seems that there are a whole lot of arm chair experts getting in on the prognostication industry around the issue and good chemicals are being blamed for the bee’s crisis and many have been outlawed.

I serve on a County Farm Bureau Board and one of our fellow board members is one of the more pre-eminent bee keepers in our State before he retired. He still grows fruit so he sees both sides of the issue, needing bees and needing well managed pesticides to be available for growers.

It is a pleasure serving with him and gaining his insight.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 02-04-2020 at 04:49 AM.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Correction noted and appreciated. Do you know of any occurrence of a human being stung by one? I have never heard of it. I have worked in Ditches where they were and had them swarming all about my face. Other than making me extremely nervous, they never laid a foot or Stinger on me thank goodness.
    Oddly enough, I just read an article recently about the most painful stinging insects; the exec summary is the title is held in a tie: the tarantula wasp wins for outright immediate pain [the article read something like "just lie down & scream for 5 minutes: you can't do anything to help, and then it'll be over"] and the S. American bullet ant [which has a painful sting that just does not STOP!] The rest of the article expands upon that difference & what environmental & evolutionary f/x may have led to the difference. (Bottom line: the wasp wants whatever attacked it to stop RIGHT NOW, while the ant doesn't care, it wants the attacker to remember all of its sistren are off limits, even if the ant itself dies...)

The author stated he'd been stung once by a tarantula wasp, by the simple expedient of demonstrating how the males [which are smaller] generally don't sting (& then unfortunately grabbing an atypically small female wasp off the bush! Oops...)

Boolit Man
    We are on the brink of a serious crisis with our bees. The colony decline has caused a lot of finger pointing but little progress. It seems that there are a whole lot of arm chair experts getting in on the prognostication industry around the issue and good chemicals are being blamed for the bee’s crisis and many have been outlawed.
    Actually, it's been determined quite definitively that the cause of CCD is neonicotinoid (typically, systemic) insecticides. [Like Monsanto & other big seed co.'s use on the seeds they sell to make the plants survive early predation & on thru harvest.] This causes decreased lifespans of winter bees and the colony can't survive the cold. The commercial apiaries will probably have to start wintering their hives in southern Mexico & Central America so the hive has no need of winter bees. Of course, then they'll just have to get used to working w/ Africanized bees, since they're endemic there & will ultimately contaminate the commercial hives...

I am so lucky to be non allergic to insect venom because I get stung many times a year by wasps, bees, fire ants and bark scorpions. A full grown scorpion lights me up like 120 volts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Surculus View Post
    Actually, it's been determined quite definitively that the cause of CCD is neonicotinoid (typically, systemic) insecticides. [Like Monsanto & other big seed co.'s use on the seeds they sell to make the plants survive early predation & on thru harvest.] This causes decreased lifespans of winter bees and the colony can't survive the cold. The commercial apiaries will probably have to start wintering their hives in southern Mexico & Central America so the hive has no need of winter bees. Of course, then they'll just have to get used to working w/ Africanized bees, since they're endemic there & will ultimately contaminate the commercial hives...
    Well, with all due respect the retired bee keeper/still active orchardist says NO to the neo-nics that you are claiming are the issue in colony decline that I am very well acquainted with.

If your claim that keeping the bees warm year around had any validity then why did the practice of using a controlled atmosphere fruit cold storage room to store over wintering hives that HE helped pioneer work well?

To understand what is at the root of honey bee colony collapse one needs to begin here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa_destructor

Are there other factors? Yes, there are other stress factors but we are not going to eliminate pesticides altogether and solve the bee problem. However, if we do stop using pesticides we are going to be in a world of hurt because of gross food shortages.

The left seems driven to remove any thing that kills a pest from the market and the opposition to the Neo nicotine class of insecticides are in their cross hairs quite wrongly according my friend. The left will dream up and write anything about what it is opposed to to “win” but the fact is my friend and his wife are even in retirement a STAUNCH advocates for bee health and expert on the subject. I think of bees in terms of number of colonies, they count them in terms of semi-loads, double digits of semi loads!

They recently sold their business to a young person who worked for them for years and yet they still travel extensively across the globe to further the business of bees. So ....When they talk bees, I take it to the bank!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 02-05-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    There is a reason that God made DDT.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DDT is not as bad as the start up greenies made it.

[QUOTE=Three44s We are on the brink of a serious crisis with our bees. The colony decline has caused a lot of finger pointing but little progress. [/QUOTE]

It seems the little rascals have more than one thing going against them besides pesticides.

I was hanging out with my buddy at the feed store awhile back.
    A fella came in, picked up a special order, in a small paper sack, paid about $400, and left.
    I was shocked. I thought you'd need a truck & trailer to spend that much at the feed store in one trip.

After he left, I asked what that was he got.
    My buddy told me he was a bee keeper, and it was some sort of medicine for a fungus something sort of infection in his hives.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast