RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Giant AsIan Hornet

Boolit Master

The Giant AsIan Hornet

The Giant Asian Hornet has been found in Vancouver Island and an individual insect of the species was found near Blaine Wa. this past December.

This insect will be a game changer for the already struggling honey bees and for folks that like to enjoy the outdoors.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5B7C&FORM=VIRE

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/23/us/as...rnd/index.html

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 02-02-2020 at 03:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Well that’s terrifying...almost 2inch long hornet that likes to kill honey bees and humans....video of them blowing up the one nest was cool though.

Banned
    They never tamed the giant hornet like we tamed our wild mustangs. Could’ve been a game-changer for them Asians!

Boolit Master
    Just what we need here. I'm allergic to bees, to begin with. I hope I never run into one of those monsters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet maker 57 View Post
    Just what we need here. I'm allergic to bees, to begin with. I hope I never run into one of those monsters.
    I've already seen them twice here in WNY. I tried to kill one with hornet spray and it just flew away. It so big, it looks like a small humming bird flying around. The first thing you notice is the color....not like our "normal" hornets. We also have Weevil wasps in our southern tier since 2016. They've been migrating north and are being tracked as they expand. They're very small and their sting isn't too bad, but they fly around by the thousands. I started noticing them when I kept getting stung when putting in our spring crop on our food plots. Once the plots start coming up they seem to move somewhere else. They like to hover over bare ground looking for food.

Our Tarantula Hawks down here are twice that big. Luckily they aren't aggressive. As a kid I once had the pleasure of watching one drag a small Tarantula into its hole in the ground. It took him a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Not that I “like” that this hornet is different (worse) but my understanding is the the species that has arrived here on the west coast is different than the one that is in parts of the eastern US.

There are so many different species that it is hard to keep them all straight. The Asian Hornet that is raising cobb in France and is suspected to have invaded the British Isles is not the hornet that we are now “blessed” with. Asian Hornet vs. Giant Asian Hornet.

Whether the Asian Hornet has entered the US already is something I do not know but I can say that the European Hornet has and it is a whopper.

The Giant Asian Hornet they found here in Washington State is the nastiest of the bunch. It has the nick name “Yak Killer” and if you blunder into it’s nest you are in big trouble, allergic or not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 02-02-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I was fascinated with bugs when I was a kid. The last two years my raspberries I have more bees on them that usual. There’s been one big hornet with a yellowish orange head I’ve never seen before that looks like this that had to be 2 plus inches long that would come and go. I tried to catch him a few times but he wasn’t having it. So my guess is they’re in Wisconsin already(or one). If not there’s a hornet around here I’ve never seen before that looks just like it. I would say it had to been 3/4 of the length of my pointer finger.

Boolit Master

My son and i came across some one night in the woods. They were attracted to our flashlights. Didn't know what kind of bee/wasp they were at the time.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Do they make #9 shot for a .410 shotgun? Could make a sport out of hunting the bastids.
    If you stir up a nest they run from 500 to 1000 hornets by Sept./Oct. and swarm en mass. Each one stings over and over with a venom that is much worse than anything we have ever had here in North America.

The venom creates craters in your tissue that are permenant and with some number of stings causes liver damage.

With honey bees they have timed an individual hornet killing 40 bees a minute. Two hornets were shown to wipe out a entire colony is a few hours. The Japanese honey bee has a special defense to the Asian hornets but not our bees.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I was fascinated with bugs when I was a kid. The last two years my raspberries I have more bees on them that usual. There’s been one big hornet with a yellowish orange head I’ve never seen before that looks like this that had to be 2 plus inches long that would come and go. I tried to catch him a few times but he wasn’t having it. So my guess is they’re in Wisconsin already(or one). If not there’s a hornet around here I’ve never seen before that looks just like it. I would say it had to been 3/4 of the length of my pointer finger.
    That sounds like the European Hornet.

Three44s

Boolit Grand Master

I saw kidney damage and death as a side effect. That was kinda disturbing looking up what that hornet is. Pretty cool the way the Japanese Honey Bees defend against them, though. Cover one in a giant ball and beat their wings raising the CO2 level and the temp until the hornet dies. The CNN story is incorrect on how the bee's defend but it's CNN so what do you expect.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    That sounds like the European Hornet.

Three44s

I just googled the European hornet it didn’t look anything like it. It had a big dull colored orange head. It was pretty persistent. I would catch him sitting on my hostas sunny him self in the morning just about every other day. I tried to catch him several times and he would just zing Back and forth like he lived in my hostas and kept coming back. I was catching hornets at the time to feed my Pac-Man frog. I was cutting the tail/stingers off of them so they wouldn’t sting my frog. I also put the little jars of hornets I caught in the freezer for a few minutes to put them to sleep before I put them in his cage because I didn’t want them flying in my house. If it wasn’t an Asian hornet it’s an identical match in color and size. I remember watching a couple videos of these bees a few years prior on YouTube attacking other bees and killing them which threw a flag when I saw it.

A tennis racket might be a good defensive weapon..........!

Sound like snake shot with #9 shot will be some thing to keep on hand . That the thing with reloading we can do .Not just for snakes for the shot shell. That is how it looks.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I wouldn’t want to get stung by one...

https://youtu.be/i7VMcMJBjD4

Banned
    Wonder if the Asian and European varieties can cross-breed and result in an Eurasian hornet?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    My son and i came across some one night in the woods. They were attracted to our flashlights. Didn't know what kind of bee/wasp they were at the time.
    It is claimed that the European Hornet will operate at night.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I just googled the European hornet it didn’t look anything like it. It had a big dull colored orange head. It was pretty persistent. I would catch him sitting on my hostas sunny him self in the morning just about every other day. I tried to catch him several times and he would just zing Back and forth like he lived in my hostas and kept coming back. I was catching hornets at the time to feed my Pac-Man frog. I was cutting the tail/stingers off of them so they wouldn’t sting my frog. I also put the little jars of hornets I caught in the freezer for a few minutes to put them to sleep before I put them in his cage because I didn’t want them flying in my house. If it wasn’t an Asian hornet it’s an identical match in color and size. I remember watching a couple videos of these bees a few years prior on YouTube attacking other bees and killing them which threw a flag when I saw it.
    http://www.planetepassion.eu/wildlif...ue_france.html

Perhaps this one?

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    A tennis racket might be a good defensive weapon..........!

Swing to kill! Don’t baby them!

Three44s

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast