Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Lee APP Press Initial Review Boolit Sizing

Lee APP Press Initial Review Boolit Sizing

Took a chance and pre-ordered the deluxe / automation version of the APP press. Also got inline's quick change plate. I had planned on using it primarily for sizing 9mm and my 240g .308 subs. I got the sizer that fits in the bottom of the press for both of those as well. I just got everything hooked up today and have not tried to size or decap any cases yet but my initial feelings with boolit sizing is that I LOVE THIS PRESS!

Set up was slightly intuitive. If your familiar with lees products you can put together 80% of it without looking at the directions. The feed tube took a bit of messing with to get the distances right for the boolits to feed correctly, much like adjusting the case drop tube on the Hornady LNL progress. looking at the directions there is a few different types of tops plates for the boolits / case shuttle. they slide on and most of the misalignment i had with a boolits not dropping into the sizing die or becoming canted was because it wasn't pushed to the left on the shuttle enough. Sizing was easier that on my single stage press. I usually have to lube my 308s a bit with just a bit of one shot to assist with sizing. I did not need that with this press, less bearing surface in contact with the boolits? could also be the mechanical advantage of the linkage.

The only issue that slows you down is that you can out run the feed tubes in no time. With the rifle boolits i had to go a bit slower to allow it to fall and align in the sizer die but still quicker than with a single stage. With 9mm, you can really move! i didn't like having to drop the boolits in individually. So went to the hardware store to figure that out to make things quicker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funnel pict.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	255922

found a funnel that fits that specific drop tube. Used an o ring on the bottom and on the inside to adjust it so the bullets would drop right in. Also took a debur tool to round the plastic a bit. This allows you do dump then in alot faster. I did find with FN bullets, it doesn't matter if it is nose up or nose down. I could take a handful and slowly drop them in to fill up the tube. with the 240gs they had to be nose down but still alot faster.

The addition of adding the old powder canister to collet the sized boolits is really useful. Thats how I keep everything i cast sorted out anyways.

I can tell the handle, although functionally, might need to be replaced with nice roller one from inline.

I'll tried to add videos to youtube but my iphone is giving me problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails funnel.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Nice to hear thanks for the review .
    I have been wondering if flat point would size nose up or down great to know they will.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the review. I've been holding off on the press until you guys have had a chance to put it thru the wringer. I have a hunch Lee is watching also and more than likely we will see some new accessories and a few changes. I like your funnel.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the review.

Worked with some round nose 158g. Did about 300, they seem to like to feed with the nose down. Tried adjusting the feed tube distance but they kept getting misaligned in the shuttle. All it took was to push the round the direction it need to go to get straight and it dropped into the shuttle.

Not a deal breaker for me, still faster, in my opinion, than single stage.

Boolit Master
    This is what I'm ordering one for. Thanks for the first hand impressions. It doesn't sound perfect (what device is?), but, as you commented, it seems better than some set ups, and probably better than what I use (hand fed upside down mounted single stage that sizes on the up stroke).

Mine isn't in yet from Titan (other parts of my order aren't ready to ship). While I ordered the automation kit, I'm wondering if I can hand feed the slide mechanism or the sizing die directly faster than I can refill the tube (I plan on resizing a lot of boolits). Might also get around some of the minor feeding hiccups you and others have described. Thoughts?

The funnel is neat idea.
    If you want it to look more "factory" if that is important to you.
    Harbor freight has red ones.

OOps! my bad they're orange.

Ok, did more RN boolits, adjusted the claw that grabs and drops the bullet to be a bit tighter and adjusted the tube height again. Feeds RN up or down now just fine!!!! Just sized easily 1000 this morning. My mileage, I was sizing a boolit about one per second. Had to switch arms too, keep feeding it through the funnel system and this system rocks!

Any flaw in your boolit, like a small fin at the base will choke at the top of the tube. I would then size what’s in the tube, and just find the problem one and drop it in by hand to size.

Keep an eye on the top shuttle plate, it can side to the right and it starts to misalign the boolits, easy fix to just push it back left, I think it moves if it binds at all, for me not an issue.

I’m super happy and highly impressed with this press. It’s not all cheap plastic. This will size ALOT fast, your arm will not be able to keep up with it........

Excuse me, have to go buy all the other sizer dies I need. Anyone need the old style sizing dies??!!

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried an old sizer dies? I got my press today, I think they would work fine. Stick the bushing in the bottom, put the sizer in it, put the shell holder die that came with it in the top w/the push pin in it. I haven't tested it yet but want to.

Also, cool on the jar. Good to know should bump the volume up a decent amount esp with brass.

Lastly the mounting looks the same mount as the Lee C Press. I'm probably going to take my C press off and put this on instead.

Tried with the old style sizing die underneath, i tried a few 44 mag boolits. The stem seemed to not want to drive the bullet all the way through the die where it would drop. Out of the few i tried before stopping, i had to put in a second boolit to push the one still in the die out and through. I think it can be done, i didn't try it with any of my other boolit types but the smaller / new style inserts seemed to size alot easier.

Also just a thought, anyone considering this press for ALOT of boolit sizing, I've had some problems with my elbow and it started to bother it even more.(not the press design, just cumulative motion issues) I found that if i got up higher than the press (standing on large ammo cans) i was able to keep my arm straight and locked out while sizing to avoid being overly fatigued. i could really size them fine then.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a notice a package arrived at my house today. Ordered mine from Titan Reloading. Not going to be sizing bullets with it right off. Going to try some reloading first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchninja View Post
    Tried with the old style sizing die underneath, i tried a few 44 mag boolits. The stem seemed to not want to drive the bullet all the way through the die where it would drop. Out of the few i tried before stopping, i had to put in a second boolit to push the one still in the die out and through. I think it can be done, i didn't try it with any of my other boolit types but the smaller / new style inserts seemed to size alot easier.

Also just a thought, anyone considering this press for ALOT of boolit sizing, I've had some problems with my elbow and it started to bother it even more.(not the press design, just cumulative motion issues) I found that if i got up higher than the press (standing on large ammo cans) i was able to keep my arm straight and locked out while sizing to avoid being overly fatigued. i could really size them fine then.
    The pin length is probably not super detrimental to me. I'll turn the end off the die or I'll make another pin or two. Either way should be workable. I'm guessing the latter as I bet the die its self is probably hard as all get out.

Boolit Mold
    I have had mine a few days.Found out fast that the feed tube didn.t hold enough brass.I just ordered the feeder that has 4 tubes and the collator to go on top of them.Also ordered the new locating punches for my universal decapper. Spent just about as much as the press cost!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    This is what I'm ordering one for. Thanks for the first hand impressions. It doesn't sound perfect (what device is?), but, as you commented, it seems better than some set ups, and probably better than what I use (hand fed upside down mounted single stage that sizes on the up stroke).

Mine isn't in yet from Titan (other parts of my order aren't ready to ship). While I ordered the automation kit, I'm wondering if I can hand feed the slide mechanism or the sizing die directly faster than I can refill the tube (I plan on resizing a lot of boolits). Might also get around some of the minor feeding hiccups you and others have described. Thoughts?
    I have one on order from Titan to .
    I am hoping at least with flat point bullets to use the 4 tube feeder and coalator may need to shorten the tubes to handle the weight and see if they will size ok base and nose first how ever they drop.
    But my primary purpose will be for handgun brass prep. I will post how the 4 tube sizing works out.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the primer pocket swagger. Originally you had to buy a small or a large primer swagger. I got an email about a design change and accepted the newer price. Now it’s a kit with both sizes included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Anyone had a chance to de-prime crimped 223 brass with the new press and how did it work.

Boolit Buddy