Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Not sure what I’ve got here

Boolit Man

Not sure what I’ve got here

Hello all. It’s been a while since I posted. Recently an acquaintance of mine offered up a trade of instruction in my profession for all his reloading equipment, as he doesn’t reload anymore. Yesterday I picked up a whole bunch of boxes and two presses. The boxes are filled with mostly brass and a few odds and ends. The two presses are Star. One is apparently a universal, and the other a lube/sizer.

Both need considerable work, if only getting the surface rust off and getting them adjusted. I’m not even sure where to begin. The universal seems to be set up right now for .357/.38 Special, and I found a plate and one die for .45 ACP, but nothing else.

Are parts still available? Looking at these pics, it is worth it? Part of my job is determining what it’s worth and assigning a value for the instruction that is my part of the bargain. I know he loaded many thousands of rounds with it, but that was a long time ago, and I need to figure out if it’s worth rehabbing, for me or for someone else.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C5491D8-93A6-41B0-BDAD-204DE16E4E2D.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	255888

Name:	FC04BEF1-C4DC-4C2C-B983-1C3F6807BFA8.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	255889

Name:	FD18C0A7-0B9D-4F5E-86BE-9B9E0F49A52D.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	255891

USMC 77, USRA 79

well, the star press is very worthwhile.. ebay is your friend for parts and so forth, but looks as though its mostly there... the star sizer isnt worth all that much and are pretty common, but the press is very cool... talk to user "Pressman" and send him a message.. he is our resident expert on vintage things like that..

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Moderator Emeritus

Is your acquaintance able to give you any instruction on the Universal?
    It is surely worth cleaning up, it probably doesn't need anything beyond cleaning.

The Lubesizer is easy, and is the same as the Magma, they are still in business.
    http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

the press has the case feed which adds about 150 bucks to the value, it also has i believe the moon advance mechanism which adds another 150 bucks to the value. the bare press you can pick up for around 400 bucks. a offshoot of star is stil around and parts are available, they will even refurbish the press if you so desire http://starmachineworks.com/index.html
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Actually the Reloader is a Phelps, not a Star. Phelps made copies of Stars. Still a good machine. I do rebuild them as well as Stars.

The Lubesizer is a Star. Phelps also made copies of those, but yours is a Star.
    Last edited by rbwillnj; 02-02-2020 at 12:56 AM.
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    well, the star press is very worthwhile.. ebay is your friend for parts and so forth, but looks as though its mostly there... the star sizer isnt worth all that much and are pretty common, but the press is very cool... talk to user "Pressman" and send him a message.. he is our resident expert on vintage things like that..

Marko
    Thanks Marko!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Is your acquaintance able to give you any instruction on the Universal?
    It is surely worth cleaning up, it probably doesn't need anything beyond cleaning.

The Lubesizer is easy, and is the same as the Magma, they are still in business.
    http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/
    It is possible. He’s pretty busy for an old guy (as in even older than me). I’m not even sure he’s going to take me up on the time I’m going to owe him.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    the press has the case feed which adds about 150 bucks to the value, it also has i believe the moon advance mechanism which adds another 150 bucks to the value. the bare press you can pick up for around 400 bucks. a offshoot of star is stil around and parts are available, they will even refurbish the press if you so desire http://starmachineworks.com/index.html
    Thanks for the link and the response!

Quote Originally Posted by rbwillnj View Post
    Actually the Reloader is a Phelps, not a Star. Phelps made copies of Stars. Still a good machine. I do rebuild them as well as Stars.

The Lubesizer is a Star. Phelps also made copies of those, but yours is a Star.
    PM inbound. We’re practically neighbors!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post

Marko
    the star sizer is worth a fair amount, a new one is pushing $300.00