Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled bullets show hitek removed

Pulled bullets show hitek removed

Pulled these and found the coating removed. Not sure how or why. They were not shaving going in, and they passed the hammer test so? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3821DBE-5E11-4FA6-ADEB-77FC475F5056.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	256727

Boolit Master
    DrewP, you might move your post up to the hi-tek thread. Joe or Ausglock should be able to help you. I have pulled hi-tek bullets but that is a new one on me.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I have never seen that before... It looks like the lead is really soft. going by the step down from the coated part to the bare part of the bullets.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Is the coating coming off when you are seating bullets?
    If not, it may be too much crimp.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by blackriver View Post
    Is the coating coming off when you are seating bullets?
    If not, it may be too much crimp.
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think I read a comment somewhere on this forum related to crimping being detrimental to the coating of PC on boolits. Or could it have been on youtube? So far I am using PC only on my 9mm, 40, and 45. I may PC some 38/357, but likely go ahead and lube them with traditional lube too until I verify otherwise. I'm still using up some stock of stored traditional lubed cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    blackriver may be right. Did you see coating inside the case or on the bench? What were they crimped at?

It definitely didn’t come off going into the case I’d notice that. I’ll look in the cases to see if they are coated there. I did crimp these but minimally. The lead is pretty soft, but not dead soft, and they were ice dropped after coating which I believe does harden them.

Also it was a fresh mixed batch of 500 bronze, however, the coating method I use employs a reusable tumbler tub that I don’t clean so there’s some red mixed in that was in the tub.

Boolit Master
    I would sure move it to the hi-tek thread. Maybe Joe can shed some light on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    It definitely didn’t come off going into the case I’d notice that. I’ll look in the cases to see if they are coated there. I did crimp these but minimally. The lead is pretty soft, but not dead soft, and they were ice dropped after coating which I believe does harden them.
    IF you have no antimony in the alloy it wont harden. It looks like the coating was scraped. Do you use a M style expander before seating? IMO, pretty much mandatory for lead bullets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

It has a little antimony. Yes I use a 32-20 expander to open them up before seating. It’s not an M style shape however

Looks like over temp cooked anyway and yes, HiTek in that condition will turn to a powder when scraped off so you probably don't notice. Do a smash test on some you pulled and you see crumbly flakes.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

What color of Hi-Tek is that?
    They look really dark.
    What was the temperature and cook time?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It has a little antimony. Yes I use a 32-20 expander to open them up before seating. It’s not an M style shape however
    Drew P
    I really would appreciate a smash test photo to look at. That will tell all.

Boolit Master

Drew P
    If we assume your smash test was a Pass. the coating would not "slide" off alloy.
    I had a good close look at the coated casts where coating was removed. Right at the edge of remaining coating, there is a deep groove indicating a sharp edge inside case. As coated cast was pulled, the coating and Lead was shaved. I cannot understand why you did not see or would not get shavings or coating or both inside your cases.
    If you pour the contents of your case onto a white paper, you should see silver on one side and coating on other side of the shavings. You may see things better if shavings are magnified.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B2FEA70-E5B8-4C55-B943-CCB3D24FDFD1.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	256832
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Drew P
    If we assume your smash test was a Pass. the coating would not "slide" off alloy.
    I had a good close look at the coated casts where coating was removed. Right at the edge of remaining coating, there is a deep groove indicating a sharp edge inside case. As coated cast was pulled, the coating and Lead was shaved. I cannot understand why you did not see or would not get shavings or coating or both inside your cases.
    If you pour the contents of your case onto a white paper, you should see silver on one side and coating on other side of the shavings. You may see things better if shavings are magnified.
    Damn got my thumb too thanks a lot! the deep groove you’re seeing is actually cast into the bullet design, it’s the new 300bo mold from mp and has a deep cannelure.

I don’t think it’s over cooked. The red color darkens very easily and it’s hard to get it to stay bright and not be undercooked. Also, the lighting makes it look darker than they are.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B2FEA70-E5B8-4C55-B943-CCB3D24FDFD1.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	256832

Damn got my thumb too thanks a lot! the deep groove you’re seeing is actually cast into the bullet design, it’s the new 300bo mold from mp and has a deep cannelure.
    It is a good idea to not have your fingers near smash test samples.
    With reference to what you sent, the smash test is a pass.
    Now, it is confirming that your case, may have been folded inwards, into that groove during loading, and, when pulling coated cast out, the inner edge of case acted like a circular scraper and shaved metal and coatings.
    You have nor advised about your previous claim, that when you pulled coated cast, you had no residues in the case.
    For the amount of material that was shaved off, there should have been materials that could be examined.
    Please advise,

Yes I believe you’re right, but I didn’t think to reclaim that. I may pull a bunch of these now tho, just so I don’t have to clean them out of my barrel later. I don’t know why I was crimping these at all anyway, they have plenty of neck tension without any and a test revealed that the coating remained notably better without crimping. So I think that’s it. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    tight neck tension and a heavy crimp, combined with a soft alloy.......you don't have many on the Plus side of the page....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast