Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: February 2020, Contest topic: Casting and Reloading Hand Tools

Moderator Emeritus

February 2020, Contest topic: Casting and Reloading Hand Tools

February 2020
    Contest topic: Casting and Reloading Hand Tools

The 310's and such of our hobby. Lee Loaders included.

What a great topic for the month containing "Ground Hog Day"
    >>>because he doesn't have anyplace to mount a press in his man cave

New contest format. New rules. See link for rules.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...90#post2797390

I am using the individual forum titles as the monthly topics (going from the top down).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Well for those who don't have a place to setup a reloading stand or bench there is the Lee Handloading Press. Inexpensive and it works too. I even used one at the range to work up reloads on the fly when testing propellant charges. Plus it uses the standard threaded reloading dies too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reloading_223_rem_simply.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	255858

Boolit Grand Master

Echo C Press. I have it in the garage on the side of my casting bench It has a 3ft threaded handle for swaging. That thing is all there. Not the prettiest press but it sure gets used and after all the years since it was built it is still a workhorse.

Name:	echo press.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	255871
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    My estate purchased Ponsness Warren model 375. I just love the precision that this machine is capable of turning out the best crimped shotshells. Be they paper or plastic hulls. Also, a image of my great, great, grandfathers brass mold that he used during the civil war, and some boolits I cast from it. The mold makes a round ball and a somewhat conical boolit. Mold had no sprue cutter. These were first cast boolits out of this mold in over 100 years.

Last edited by MOA; 02-13-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    My estate purchased Ponsness Warren model 375. I just love the precision that this machine is capable of turning out the best crimped shotshells. Be they paper or plastic hulls. Also, a image of my great, great, grandfathers brass mold that he used during the civil war, and some boolits I cast from it. The mold makes a round ball and a somewhat conical boolit. Mold had no sprue cutter. These were first cast boolits out of this mold in over 100 years.

Yep! I can remember lookin over at your great, great grandpaw and askin if he had any extra bullets and he loaned me some. He was kinda tall, sandy haired and had blue or green eyes. The sprue was already shaved off with a pocket knife. We kept up the fire!
    You can tell I really enjoy this thread, the pics and the history! John Wayne
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yup, good thread.

Banned
    Ideal Decappers for the 30-45 Government cartridge

Name:	IMG_7226.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	256851

Name:	IMG_7234.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	256852

Name:	20200221_144341 (2).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	257354

I got this used in the early 80's.

Name:	20200221_154739.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	257356

I put a lot trough it in the 80's and early 90's then in the mid 90's life kind of got in the way and the casting stuff got put away.. I got it out a few years ago to try casting some wadcutters but that has been it for some time. But I'm out of boolits for my .308 so now that I'm retired I have been geting the casting stuff out, mixed my alloy and gave it a try. But it has been a little an the cool side so I had to turn it all the way up but got a few for a pic. To day I did between five and ten pound's of of bright and shiny boolit just waiting to go.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Great looking boolits facetious. Veral Smith would be proud of those great looking 170 grain thumpers.

Boolit Buddy
    Darn fine bullet Facetious. Great pictures everyone!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!