Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharps .54 percussion

Boolit Master
    Does work if the wad has a hole in the base.....but ,the felt is jammed into the check ,which may or not be a problem......Ive made much better "obturators" by cutting down plastic shotgun cases,and a proper moulded heavy plastic piece would work OK.....but you need a little hook to pull it out......Incidentally ,the Small Arms Commitee opinion of the WR Monkey tail....."accuracy is adversely affected by the wad in front of the bullet"..........Nows ,heres a question.....one of these guns used a bullet as a base obturator,the paper cartridge had the bullet in the base ,and first shot ,a bullet had to be inserted first........confusing for a soldier under fire,but the system worked well.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot an IAB Sharps in N-SSA competition and have no issues with it. It's had the breech done by Larry Flees and I use Charlie's Tubes to make the ammo. Both Larry and Charlie do a great job on Sharps blocks. I use only RWS caps and reliability isn't an issue with either of my Sharps carbines.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

The Monkey Tail seems to have worked fine in service and with Boer farmers with the wad before the bullet.
    I came back to this and had the same thought of the felt wad with a hole in it for the flash channel. No need to hook them out if the next round pushed them forward to be fired out ahead of the bullet.
    I don't know about something needing a bullet inserted first. Just stuff in a cartridge, close lock, cap, fire and repeat.
    It will be a long time before my budget runs to a Sharps carbine though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12