Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: New Marlin XLR or SBL??

Boolit Buddy

New Marlin XLR or SBL??

I got a new marlin 336xlr a few days ago and did some mods. I added a large loop and an XS rail.Maybe its a LBL? lol I shot it out back for the first time today, surprised how accurate it is.Its a keeper.

Sweet looks good with the larger loop too.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, i just love levers.
    He who cuts his own firewood, warms himself twice.

What caliber is it? I like it a lot except for the big scope. Every Marlin I’ve ever owned has been a great shooter. Congrats!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you its a 30-30,its the only XLR left that Marlin sells.
    Last edited by Handshaker; 02-02-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a couple of XLR's. One, JES re-did from 30-30 to 356win. Shoots very well. My 30-30, I bought used and someone had done some work to slick it up an help accuracy. It is one accurate son of a gun!!! I could probably shoot clay pigeons set on the ground, all day long @300yds with the thing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handshaker View Post
    I got a new marlin 336xlr a few days ago and did some mods. I added a large loop and an XS rail.Maybe its a LBL? lol I shot it out back for the first time today, surprised how accurate it is.Its a keeper.
    Would be nice to see a picture of it. None showing here though in the quote I do see an imgur link.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Would be nice to see a picture of it. None showing here though in the quote I do see an imgur link.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200131_162016sm.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	255962
    Imgur should be posting the pic directly, i dont know why you cant see it so i posted it here too.

Boolit Buddy
    rockrat:
    Did you have to modify the XLR to make the 356 shells fit through the loading port and mag? Just bought an SBL and was thinking of doing the same thing but in trying to insert a 444 shell (same body diameter) through the loading port it only goes part way due to the diameter of the body (only have 444 shells for the 410s, they make cheap brass shot shells). Looking at the 1895 in 45-70, the loading port and the ejection port are both much different than the 30-30 guns. Was thinking of getting the SBL re-bored to 0.375" and coming up with a short chambered 375 JDJ (2.55" overall length w/ Hornady's 220 grain flat nose bullets. Would need to take 0.200" off of the brass to make it work. Velocity should be in the area of 2,400 fps in the 18" barrel.
    Just a thought
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    That seems like a lot of expensive work to be done just to shoot 410 or shotshells? I would just reload 45-70 and make your own shotshells. I am doing that right now for my 1895GS. I had a unfired JM 444xlr i paid 6 hundred for, last year a guy offered me 1500 for it and it was gone.... I know the 45-70 is much more versatile over the 444.

Boolit Buddy
    I think there is a little misunderstanding; I only used the 444 shells to check and see if they would fit, not looking to fire them in the SBL. A 356 shell is based (sort of) on a shortened and necked down version of the 444. Or if you like a rimmed 358.

Boolit Buddy
    Ah ok sorry