Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Finn M39 Sling

Boolit Master

Finn M39 Sling

Looking for info on how to attach a Finn Civil Guard web sling to a Finn M39. This is the cloth web sling with a buckle on the web end and a leather tongue with a button slot on the other end.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Did the sling not come with Leather Dog Collar straps that go thru the stock.
    That is what is on my M28-30 Finn

Boolit Master

No, the Finn version of the Mosin is a different rifle and uses regular swivels.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I have somewhere a set of Swivels for the Finn Rifles that use the inletted peices that only have a hole in them and not the slot for the Dog Collars
    Let me see if I can find them.
    They came off a Trashed Finn 1891 that I ended up Sporterizing years ago.
    I looked up the M39 and I now see that the 39 used different swivels.
    It has been so many years since I owned one , I could not remember.
    But all the other parts like sights and barrels on my 28-30s are the same as most 39's
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-01-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Looking for info on how to attach a Finn Civil Guard web sling to a Finn M39. This is the cloth web sling with a buckle on the web end and a leather tongue with a button slot on the other end.
    Does it look like this style? https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...idproduct=6209

If so, the leather end w button goes thru the front swivel.

Take the button off to thread thru the swivel. The sling leather end should be pointing forward with the buckle facing down or away from the stock.The leather end goes thru the front swivel from the underside close to the stock. Pull the sling about 2/3 the way thru the swivel. Thread the sling thru the buckle as shown in pic above. Once the buckle part is done run the sling to the rear sling bar or swivel and insert the leather end in whichever swivel mount you choose. Once the tab is thru you can attach the button, flat side towards the stock. Adjustment for length is done by feeding some sling thru the buckle to lengthen or shorten it.

It would be the same for the 1 piece leather sling.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Does it look like this style? https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...idproduct=6209

Take the button off to thread thru the swivel. The sling leather end should be pointing forward with the buckle facing down or away from the stock.The leather end goes thru the front swivel from the underside close to the stock. Pull the sling about 2/3 the way thru the swivel. Thread the sling thru the buckle as shown in pic above. Once the buckle part is done run the sling to the rear sling bar or swivel and insert the leather end in whichever swivel mount you choose. Once the tab is thru you can attach the button, flat side towards the stock. Adjustment for length is done by feeding some sling thru the buckle to lengthen or shorten it.

Yeah... that’s it. Thanks for the instructions.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post

My WW2 Finnish M91 manual, as well as a few others such as the WW2 Swedish manual, show the button end of the sling being placed on the rear swivel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    My WW2 Finnish M91 manual, as well as a few others such as the WW2 Swedish manual, show the button end of the sling being placed on the rear swivel.
    Could be, I don't have a copy of the manual. Pics I've seen show it as originally stated. I'd take your word for it.

FWIW the USGI 1907 sling has been shown in various manuals/photos rigged incorrectly also.

The US GI manuals DO seem to show the M1907 sling the correct way around - but what happened in the field and in post-war sporting manuals & the like is another thing.
    Had an interesting chat with a couple of UK shooters once, as I noticed that they were using M1907 slings, but had them fitted bass-ackwards and inside out & all sorts of wrong. Wandered over & offered to help, took about 3 minutes per sling to adjust them correctly.

One of them asked how I knew so much about the M1907's & was so fast fitting them to the rifles, "Oh, easy - I made the slings you are using - that's my name/logo stamped on them..."
    (They'd bought them from a dealer at Bisley who I used to supply)