Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Pedersoli Rolling Block 30-30

Boolit Master

Pedersoli Rolling Block 30-30

im kicking the idea around of buying the Pedersoli Standard Rolling block in 30-30 with the 28" barrel. i already have a High Wall and Sharps so this is just a classic rifle thing for me.i have no plans other than some serious bench shooting for groups with it.What range could I expect decent groups with considering the cartridge and what is max range? I currently have MVA buffalo rear sights on my other two rifles and im not even considering that kind of money or set up but maybe something like a Lyman rear post with a peep.anyone here own one. I saw a post of someone time back who had problems with this model so I don't need to hear that story again. ill shoot smokeless and non check bullet of some kind.Let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by barnabus; 01-31-2020 at 08:43 PM.

I am probably not a good person to answer this but thinking of your rifle, caliber, sights and bullet choice made me think of what I would suspect. Being a non checked boolit in a 30-30 and sights that don't have a large range of elevation adjustment I am thinking 250 yards might be about your limit .
    I'm sure someone else has a better guess but without a longer sight radius and a tang sight with a lot of adjustment I don't see it being a real long range target gun.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

With the proper load sights and work up youll be surprised at how far hits can be made. I shoot a highwall in 38-55 with plain lead bullets out to 500 yds accurately, I see no reason with a good tang sight and globe front this wont do the same. I would put a soules style mid range or long range vernier tang sight on it and a globe front. Then start working keep notes on settings for the different ranges.

Another option that would make a nice interesting looking rifle would be one of the MVA full length 6X scopes on it. Would probably have enough elevation for 800-900 yds.

If your sights are capable the rifle has potential to 800+ yards. I have a Marlin 36 that works exceedingly well to 800 with plain base cast 170 grain bullets.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Bub
    I once saw a guy ring a steel gong at 600yds with a .22.The 30-30 can carry farther.While my 30-30s are all lever,if I may suggest a tang sight coupled with a globe front if shooting at a circular target facilitates the things a lot.And like mentionned above,keep notes of the elevation steps on that vernier.Stick with one load you'll get familiar with and you'll be surprised at how far you can hit accurately.