MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lube for subsonic loadings do you need it?

I don't do big batch's like outpost75, but the idea is pretty much the same, only with smaller plastic container with snap on lids.

Only real change I make is I like to add about 1% carnuba wax to the alox. Either straight wax flakes melted into the alox or a lump of Johnsons paste wax melted in. Love the way it leaves my bores like mirrors. I also think it puts a hard outer finish on the Alox. Makes them less sticky, dries faster.

I prefer to use 2 thinner coats to one thicker one. I simply open the container, set in front of a fan for 10 min. Add my second coat and tumble them up.

When all is well coated I dump them into a cardboard flat in front of a fan.

I have at times cast and loaded the same bullets in less than an hour. All nice and dry, no sticky's, no problems.

Big does probably work better if you have thousands to coat. For me 100 is a big batch, so I just adjust to fit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramson222 View Post
    Is lube needed on subsonic loads, if so could plain paraffin wax be used like what is on 22lr ammo?
    Always use lube, it keeps the black powder fouling soft.

Boolit Mold
    I've shot a lot of unlubed .38s with mixed success. Eventually you'll end up with leading, but shooting a limited number won't be a disaster. Shooting a cylinder of jacketed at the end of the day is supposed to help, but I don't really know if it did or didn't.

A simple tumble lube is worth the effort. The 45/45/10 is a lot better than straight alox for the sticky mess avoidance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12