MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube for subsonic loadings do you need it?

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon

Lube for subsonic loadings do you need it?

Is lube needed on subsonic loads, if so could plain paraffin wax be used like what is on 22lr ammo?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramson222 View Post
    Is lube needed on subsonic loads, if so could plain paraffin wax be used like what is on 22lr ammo?
    you need a lube

I think Bee's wax is what is on 22rf

Boolit Master
    Johnson' Paste Wax works great not only for subsonic but for most handgun velocity loads. I would be concerned that regular paraffin canning wax might be too brittle.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The 160 melting point paraffin that CCI uses on their standard velocity .22 LRwould work fine, but it is somewhat difficult to apply evenly in small batch application. What I have found satisfactory for .38 Special wadcutter and other low velocity revolver rounds like the .32 S&W Long, .455 Webley Mk2 and .38 S&W is to dilute Lee Liquid Alox with equal parts by liquid volume of clear mineral spirits and to just give the bullets a light wash to turn them a uniform brassy color without making any attempt to fill the lube grooves. One fluid ounce of the diluted lube will lube about 1000 or so .38 or .45 ACP wadcutters.

I use a .30 cal. ammo can as a bulk measure for the cast bullets, then dump these into a larger .50 cal. can to provide room for agitation, pour in the diluted liquid lube, then snap down the lid and turn the ammo can end-for-end ten times, then roll over sideways a full 360 degree rotation ten times, then open the lid and set a 10-inch box fan over the open top of the ammo can while I do someting else in the shop for 4-6 hours. This evaporates the excess solvent. After a time I snap the lid down again, repeat the agitation sequence and pour the contents of the ammo can out onto a pizza tray or cookie sheet to finish air drying.

After having done routine this 4-5 times the inside of the ammo can is well coated and if you are a truly cheap SOB you can do a run using an ounce of clear solvent only, using the agitation to dissolve and redistribute the residual dried lube residue in the can.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-01-2020 at 12:39 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

what caliber?

In most cases I would use a tumble lube.

I shoot unlubed pellets in my air rifle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramson222 View Post
    yes..you need a lube otherwise you won't like cleaning the bbl

Boolit Grand Master

The majority of my 380 ACP and 38 Special handloads are "subsonic". And yes, they need lube. I use 45-45-10 and home made Speed Green and I wouldn't try plain paraffin...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The 160 melting point paraffin that CCI uses on their standard velocity .22 LRwould work fine, but it is somewhat difficult to apply evenly in small batch application. What I have found satisfactory for .38 Special wadcutter and other low velocity revolver rounds like the .32 S&W Long, .455 Webley Mk2 and .38 S&W is to dilute Lee Liquid Alox with equal parts by liquid volume of clear mineral spirits and to just give the bullets a light wash to turn them a uniform brassy color without making any attempt to fill the lube grooves. One fluid ounce of the diluted lube will lube about 1000 or so .38 or .45 ACP wadcutters.

I use a .30 cal. ammo can as a bulk measure for the cast bullets, then dump these into a larger .50 cal. can to provide room for agitation, pour in the diluted liquid lube, then snap down the lid and turn the ammo can end-for-end ten times, then roll over sideways a full 360 degree rotation ten times, then open the lid and set a 10-inch box fan over the open top of the ammo can while I do someting else in the shop for 4-6 hours. This evaporates the excess solvent. After a time I snap the lid down again, repeat the agitation sequence and pour the contents of the ammo can out onto a pizza tray or cookie sheet to finish air drying.

After having done routine this 4-5 times the inside of the ammo can is well coated and if you are a truly cheap SOB you can do a run using an ounce of clear solvent only, using the agitation to dissolve and redistribute the residual dried lube residue in the can.
    That sounds like a good and repeatable process. I have always just used a cool whip bowl in small batches but I like your idea much better.

And yes OP you do need lube.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Outpost75 that seems like the process for me.

Banner Sponsor

I would suggest 45-45-10. It dries quick and is ready to load the next day, and works really well.
    this was the last 5 of 100 shots in a 30-06 using the RanchDog 165 plain base, tumbled with 45-45-10.

I just use a coolwhip tub, dump a couple hundred boolits in, drizzle a small amount over the top, put the lid on and swirl them all around until they are all wet with a light tinge of brown, then dump onto a sheet of wax paper to dry over night.

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...36luevvr9uk417

Boolit Buddy
    For sub sonic just use one coat of Bens Liquid Lube. Works every time.

Boolit Grand Master

I use Xlox for my 7.72X39 sub loading and after shooting the bore is clean as a whistle.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Buildup in the suppressor?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    What lubes dry completely and are not sticky when ready to use?

Banner Sponsor

My experience with 45-45-10 is that it takes about 4 hours to be dry to the touch and ready to load the next day. this is on a warm summer day. It may take longer to dry on a cold day.

Boolit Master

You can always tumble them in powdered mica after the 45-45-10 is dry if you feel they are sticky, also prevents lube transfer to your seating die.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Give Maxima Chain Wax in the spray can a try.
    I've used it in some Rook rifles with no issues.
    If you don't like it for boolits, your bike chains certainly will!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    For sub sonic just use one coat of Bens Liquid Lube. Works every time.
    Yes, I like simple and effective. Ideally with a bullet that can be shot as cast. Otherwise, if I have to size them, I may as well lube them in the Star.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

Thanks, that's a good one which I am going to print out for my notebook.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I use mine as cast and dip lube or pick them out of tin of melted 50/50 bees wax and vasalene.
    I keep them in a 100 pistol cartridge case.
    I cast them soft and want not to ding them up.

ALOX works fine diluted but I detest the smell of it.

I don’t shoot a trillion and do mag dumps thou.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast