Thread: Dime Size Groups--Let's see 'em

Boolit Master

Dime Size Groups--Let's see 'em

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG952017122395005814.jpg 
Views:	1005 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	255776
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Now that's what I call inflation.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Buddy
    removed my image... sorry didn't realize this was the rimfire area.

Boolit Master

Good one... but for real... I have been working with my oldest daughter and teaching her to shoot from a bench with good hardware. She has fallen in love with the process and admits that she thought that true one hole groups from a rest would be easy. She has been learning breath control, heart beat timing and repeatable trigger action. She shoots an old 40XBR in 221 Fireball, 1.25 ounce trigger, 24x optics, MBR stock an 21" 1.25" bull barrel. She is getting to the point with the right ammo that she is shooting ragged one hole 5 shot groups and can tell the difference in minor powder charge changes. It also is teaching here patience and self control that she never had before.

The other day... she asked... Dad, why are we not shooting cast boolits in this rifle... I did not have a good answer and I now think we are going to try it!

This summer, we are moving to 222 Mag and going to extend her reach with 6mmx284.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't use coins for comparisons and I'm not about to change, but here are a few skilled or lucky ones. First pair is at 50 yds, left is from a pre-war Mauser MS420B and the right one is from a 1948 vintage Rem. 513S. The bottom one was shot at 100 yds with another old Mauser ES340B. All were shot with old '50's-era Weaver K10 or Litschert-boosted 3/4" scopes

Name:	50yd 20 Oct. 2017 Mauser MS420B left with Fed.711B, Rem 513S rt with Fed 711B.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	255852

Name:	2 Aug 2019 100yd Mauser ES340B plain.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	255853
    Last edited by gewehrfreund; 02-04-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    Some good shooting rifles right there.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Very old video. I have the camera at the target, looking at me through the mirror, 50 and 100 yards away.

My rifle doesn't shoot that good.

Boolit Bub
    Here's a group from the butt ugly little Ballard I'm building. It's only 50' indoor - I was told that it's so easy anyone can do it... one 5 shot group is .150" another is .180" and the ten shot is .320" Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200229_213754413.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	258149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200221_211405695.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	258150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200221_211428717.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	258151
    Greg

Boolit Buddy
    Ugly!? I'd call it it beautiful, close coupled set trigger and all!

And that's some excellent shooting.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you, the shooting is fair anymore - comes with age and iron- I'm delaying the inevitable - glass. Since one of my passions is making sights - I'm slowly getting into making vintage scopes but I'm just not there yet.
    In a lot of folks' eyes, Ballards are ugly to them, it takes a while for this 160 year style of firearm to grow on a person. Until you pick one up, fondle it, throw it to your shoulder and shoot it offhand you'll never know what your missing - and I hope most don't - it leaves more for me... This one started out as one of Rodney Stories castings. I'd seen a picture of a striker Ballard build by the Freund Brothers back in the 1880's and thought maybe I'd try to duplicate one. The breech block is all of my design as I'd never seen the guts of a striker before but I had an idea of what they needed to do.
    This is a product of 5 months of making and scrapping pieces and parts, tweaking the ideas, fitting and re-fitting and several nights with ahah! moments coming at unreasonable hours. It's only a 22 although I'm working on a centerfire version or two. One has to realize though that the Ballard is a very weak action and it's limited to the vintage low pressure cartridges. In this day and age, that removes most of the interest - if they can't go fast with the new whiz-bang super mags...
    Oh, the triggers are a result of taking apart a set from a 1885, making prints and then making a set to fit in this breech block. Nothing conventional by any means. They work exceptionally well and I have them set up with a very small amount of creep and they break at a hard 5 ounces when they're set. Unset, it's a crisp two pounds.

Name:	IMG_20191213_221751707.jpg 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	258159 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191230_212120804.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	258161
    Here's a target from last evening experimenting with ammo and cleaning between groups/brands. In my opinion it's not a true indicator, I'm convinced that for accurate results of a particular ammo, that ammo needs about one shot down the pipe for every inch of barrel until it settles down and performs at it's best, so does the shooter - namely me- and I didn't have the time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200307_084053661.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	258164
    Greg

Heck, my Mossberg 640 will shoot dime-sized groups all day long...
    'course they're one shot groups
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by shutinlead View Post
    Thank you, the shooting is fair anymore - comes with age and iron- I'm delaying the inevitable - glass. Since one of my passions is making sights - I'm slowly getting into making vintage scopes but I'm just not there yet.
    In a lot of folks' eyes, Ballards are ugly to them, it takes a while for this 160 year style of firearm to grow on a person. Until you pick one up, fondle it, throw it to your shoulder and shoot it offhand you'll never know what your missing - and I hope most don't - it leaves more for me... This one started out as one of Rodney Stories castings. I'd seen a picture of a striker Ballard build by the Freund Brothers back in the 1880's and thought maybe I'd try to duplicate one. The breech block is all of my design as I'd never seen the guts of a striker before but I had an idea of what they needed to do.
    This is a product of 5 months of making and scrapping pieces and parts, tweaking the ideas, fitting and re-fitting and several nights with ahah! moments coming at unreasonable hours. It's only a 22 although I'm working on a centerfire version or two. One has to realize though that the Ballard is a very weak action and it's limited to the vintage low pressure cartridges. In this day and age, that removes most of the interest - if they can't go fast with the new whiz-bang super mags...
    Oh, the triggers are a result of taking apart a set from a 1885, making prints and then making a set to fit in this breech block. Nothing conventional by any means. They work exceptionally well and I have them set up with a very small amount of creep and they break at a hard 5 ounces when they're set. Unset, it's a crisp two pounds.

Name:	IMG_20191213_221751707.jpg 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	258159 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191230_212120804.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	258161
    Here's a target from last evening experimenting with ammo and cleaning between groups/brands. In my opinion it's not a true indicator, I'm convinced that for accurate results of a particular ammo, that ammo needs about one shot down the pipe for every inch of barrel until it settles down and performs at it's best, so does the shooter - namely me- and I didn't have the time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200307_084053661.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	258164
    Greg
    That is a crazy cool rifle! Thanks for showing us!

Boolit Master
    the Ballard is awesome!

good shooting
    Last edited by OS OK; 03-13-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

shutinlead
    Great looking rifle.
    Groups are fine too!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    nearly as pretty as my martini international lh,actualy its prettier

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know about dime sized groups but this is a series of six 5 shot groups shot consecutively at a laser measured 68 yards. I've posted these cards before to demonstrate that showing a single group can be deceiving. Three of the groups are around .5moa and cropped out would look quite impressive, unfortunately the other three groups were not quite so tight.

These were shot with my Sako Finnfire (fitted with Lilja match barrel) off the ground with a bipod, using Eley subsonic HP ammunition.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    nearly as pretty as my martini international lh,actualy its prettier
    I have a couple of Martini's and beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I really like Martini's but Ballards created a soft spot a few years back... this build really drove cupids arrow home for me - I have one martini that was dubbed a "girl gun" not because what most think... it never would shoot a respectable group until I fed it real expensive ammo, now it shoots itty bitty groups - no fliers, very little effort, and expensive tastes - I'm not a chauvinist - name came from the D-in-L and the gal that operates the range... Now I just need to finish this Ballard to do it justice...

Ok, here ya' go.Attachment 258863Attachment 258864Attachment 258865Attachment 258866These were the first rounds out of my then new CZ 512 22 mag with a pretty rough trigger. Maybe not dime sized but I like the way this rifle shoots. Not as good as my yard sale Marlin 25N but pretty close. I was particularly impressed at the way it zeroed with 3 different brands and loads of ammo. Not many do this in my experience.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

This is a group I shot years ago when I still could see good. Marlin 39A 1966 Model. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41B253B5-FB3F-4055-BE0D-BB5C6940421F.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	258870

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast