Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dime Size Groups--Let's see 'em

Boolit Bub
    Murf,
    That's good shooting with the mag, I've found very few that like any of the ammo I've had my hands on, a MOA at 100 has been a challenge with this stuff so I seldom spend any time with them.
    We had a fairly calm day today (10 mph or less) and the temp made it to 50° F so excluding the mud it was an excellent afternoon at the range. I spent 4 hours of quality time with the LabRadar and the ugly Ballard. Just like the indoor targets indicated, this thing favors Norma Match and the trials included both more and less expensive brands. They weren't dime size groups but here's a sample of an average for both a 100 and a 200 y group (had a couple groups a little better at both distances but these groups tell a story. The 200 shown had a terrific vertical string but the wind had shifted from a left to right to a straight on gusting breeze when I moved back... if I'd put a scope on old ugly, these 60 year old eyes would work less - just can't surrender to glass yet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200321_185746461_MP.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	258899

That's pretty darned good considering that 22's are very sensitive to the wind. I have surrendered to glass on my rifles except for the 1895 Marlin where I put a Skinner peep sight on it
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    FA at 100

40x sporter 100

40x heavy barrel (based on 2 groups shown and target, I think this was scoped. (Now i have Olympic iron on it.))100

Quote Originally Posted by Plastikosmd View Post
    FA at 100

40x sporter 100

40x heavy barrel (based on 2 groups shown and target, I think this was scoped. (Now i have Olympic iron on it.))100
    If there has ever been a bad shooting FA or 40x, I have yet to see one. good shooting on your part brother.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Rem 40-X 22LR 5 shots at 50 yards

Federal HV Match weighed at 51.3 grains

Today 3/23/2020 and a bit windy

First Target

Second Target after scope adjustment

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Ok - not a group, and only shot at 25 yards but my old BSA International still shoots well enough.

And this one, again shot at 25 yards with my Sako Finnfire with Lilja match barrel, is a 5 shot group that a new round won't drop into.

Boolit Master
    That's some nice shooting!

Weight sort your ammo and get even smaller groups. Norma Match and Federal Auto Match have been the most consistent ammo I have tried and weight sorted. Eley has been amongst the worse with deviations as much as 1.5-2.0 grs. but will shoot good if sorted.

Boolit Master
    I am sure I shot a dime size group in there somewhere. But this is 100 rounds at 15 and mostly at 25 yards. This was done a couple of years ago. I used a Beretta Neos for it. Somewhere after 50 rounds and I start to lose the concentration to keep the bullets in tight. if I had quit at 50 rounds everyone would be ooing and awing about the big hole in the center.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beretta_Neos_22LR_target_sml.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	259932

5 shots of/with CCI Small Game Bullets (SGB) @ 50yds with iron (peep) sights on my 1955 Marlin 39a, balancing the rifle's forend atop my wrist while that hand was grasping a thin tree used as a standing rest.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12