Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnum Research 'Thunder Snub' BFR in .45-70 Gov't.

That thing deserves another Paul Kersey movie.

Boolit Master
    An excellent article.

I like big... only have one "big" , a 500 snub right now, but big is good... fun and makes sense to cast for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    How much power do you think the 45/70 revolver has? Not with the weak 45/70 ammo but the correct loading for power.
    The article referenced above had a chart showing muzzle velocity and energy levels out of the snub nose pistol. A heavy or maximum load would do nothing but yield a huge flame front from the unburned propellant and a higher noise level. The barrel is too short for it to develop best performance. But it would have performance similar to the 45 magnum handguns like S&W makes.

Boolit Master
    The trouble of quantifing power it is different to many people. Me, just to get a handle on things, I will use momentum. Also I like to use a level playing field. If you look at the velocity of the 540 Garret which loaded to 35,000 CUP's the velocity is 967 fps. with a 540 grain bullet that gives 74.6 pounds feet momentum. One would have to push a 240 grain bullet 2176 fps to equal it. The Buffalo Bore 500 grain load ran 1147 Fps. One would have to push a 240 grain bullet 2389 fps to equal the momentum. One can argue with Isaac Newton on the worth of momentum. I am not going to argue as I am being careful not to upset anyone. I like momentum simply because it can be quantified with out giving one sided creedence to any one thing. It is simply how much push, if you will, and object in linear movement has. Nothing more nothing less.
    So that being said I am not going to be enticed into the age old argument of energy vs momentum vs bullet construction vs shot placement vs temperment of the animal etc.
    I hope you understand my stance and be sure you compare barrels of very similar length when comparing ballistics. Not a 3 inch barrel compare to a 6 inch etc.
    Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    The article referenced above had a chart showing muzzle velocity and energy levels out of the snub nose pistol. A heavy or maximum load would do nothing but yield a huge flame front from the unburned propellant and a higher noise level. The barrel is too short for it to develop best performance. But it would have performance similar to the 45 magnum handguns like S&W makes.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 02-01-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Banner Sponsor

One thing that it didn't cover was what did they use for an ejector rod?
    It seems like way back I saw a pic of a 50 Alaskan BFR with a 2" barrel. I can't seem to find the pic anywhere.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Kinda homely to me.

Banner Sponsor

Here's a 50-110 BFR Snubbie.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    The trouble of quantifing power it is different to many people. Me, just to get a handle on things, I will use momentum. Also I like to use a level playing field. If you look at the velocity of the 540 Garret which loaded to 35,000 CUP's the velocity is 967 fps. with a 540 grain bullet that gives 74.6 pounds feet momentum. One would have to push a 240 grain bullet 2176 fps to equal it. The Buffalo Bore 500 grain load ran 1147 Fps. One would have to push a 240 grain bullet 2389 fps to equal the momentum. One can argue with Isaac Newton on the worth of momentum. I am not going to argue as I am being careful not to upset anyone. I like momentum simply because it can be quantified with out giving one sided creedence to any one thing. It is simply how much push, if you will, and object in linear movement has. Nothing more nothing less.
    So that being said I am not going to be enticed into the age old argument of energy vs momentum vs bullet construction vs shot placement vs temperment of the animal etc.
    I hope you understand my stance and be sure you compare barrels of very similar length when comparing ballistics. Not a 3 inch barrel compare to a 6 inch etc.
    Thank you for your time.
    You make a good point. It would have been nice to have the momentum numbers included in the charts too. But those heavy 400 or 500 grain bullets are still going to pack a large amount of energy and pentration even at the slower velocities out of the pistol.

Boolit Buddy
    That gun ranks really close to the top of my list of most useless, ugly, worthless guns I've ever seen.......nothing more than a gimmick.

Boolit Master

Looks like it would not be a lot of fun...

Boolit Master
    Only to a recoil junkie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12