MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum Research 'Thunder Snub' BFR in .45-70 Gov't.

Boolit Grand Master

Magnum Research 'Thunder Snub' BFR in .45-70 Gov't.

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Good article. The pentagonal cylinder sure takes some getting used to.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Nope, not me would not even touch off one round!

So ugly it hurts. Literally and figuratively! And a Custom Rem 700 .458 pistol is ILLEGAL. Some folks and their kids!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

the ugly hurts, but more than likely not that bad to shoot. its still not super light, and the 45-70 in a revolver just isnt all its cracked up to be when it comes to power.

Banner Sponsor

In my 10 45-70 BFR, I have pushed 405gn cast to 1750fps before. I think that that is all it's cracked up to be.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    So ugly it hurts. Literally and figuratively! And a Custom Rem 700 .458 pistol is ILLEGAL. Some folks and their kids!

Wrong $200 dollar Tax stamp on proper ATF form totally legal.

Banned
    I'm trying to wrap my head around why a Remington 700 pistol in .458 would be illegal ?

But anyhoo .. I'm not a fan of the long frame bfr's , it's pure aesthetic's for me .
    But I am a bfr fan , I love my .475 , And I've wanted to do a short barreled 500jrh for awhile if funds ever permitted .
    This just affirms my desire

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Mag is too short if you are referring to a 458 Win Mag but fully legal without a stamp as a 458 Win Mag single shot or a shortened 458 Win Mag for magizine usage. https://www.remington.com/handguns/700-cp
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my head around why a Remington 700 pistol in .458 would be illegal ?

But anyhoo .. I'm not a fan of the long frame bfr's , it's pure aesthetic's for me .
    But I am a bfr fan , I love my .475 , And I've wanted to do a short barreled 500jrh for awhile if funds ever permitted .
    This just affirms my desire
    If it started as a rifle the action can not be used since it would be a SBR. If it started as a pistol no issues. Heard the case on both sides about an unassigned action for use as a handgun. I am not comfortable make a statement on what is legal on that issue.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    A virgin action can legally be made into a pistol.

Banned
    That clears up my confusion , reading the article and seeing that custom built statement I just assumed it would have been built on a virgin action . And never even thought about anything else .
    I'd of also automatically assumed that if it had been built on a rifle action the proper tax stamp would have been acquired.

Boolit Master
    I am truly impressed. I thought my 6 inch barreled BFR in .45-70 was the smallest one out there. I never thought that Magnum Research would custom make one until now. I totally missed it. I wear a shooting glove to prevent damage to by finger behind the trigger guard. But yes the recoil is a bit stiff.

Boolit Master

If he had stayed with the standard cylinder and round barrel, and maybe gone another inch on the barrel, it would have been a cool looking pistol. But the author specifically chose the options that made it so hideous. I'd hate see his taste in clothes and cars. Probably drives a Pontiac Aztec and wears blue polyester leisure suits.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

In my defense, the author stated that his cousin Steve had a 458 Winchester Magnum Remington 700 "pistol" built "years ago"- so I "assumed" that a Remington model 700 rifle in .458 WM was cut down for the purpose. During the XP100/Contender glory days of Silhouette shooting/hunting I desperately wanted to build my own 98 Mauser 8mm pistol- but the fact that it was a Felony put a damper on that idea. Maybe you could ask the BATF for permission first but they probably would say no.

Last edited by Texas by God; 02-02-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Boolit Master

Ouch! I do not personally understand why anyone would want what looks like lightening cuts on a cannon like that. I would leave all the weight that could be aesthetically possible on the gun, because it's gonna kick you! More weight is your friend when there is that much power involved, I think. (Maybe some wheels too.)
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Since no one factory produced a production XP 100 pistol in 458 Win Mag it had to be custom.. It was a handgun to begin with not a rifle turned info a pistol and was registered as a handgun. Not illegal to put a rifle caliber on a handgun. If it was explain a 223 Contender or a 30/06 Encore. Midwayusa used to sell Contender and Encore Barrels in rifle calibers before TC became a name only.
    The barrels didnt need to be registered. I have bought rifle cartridge chambered barrels from SSK before to use in Encore and Contender frames registered as handguns.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-31-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    How much power do you think the 45/70 revolver has? Not with the weak 45/70 ammo but the correct loading for power.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    the ugly hurts, but more than likely not that bad to shoot. its still not super light, and the 45-70 in a revolver just isnt all its cracked up to be when it comes to power.

Boolit Grand Master

It's a similar idea to the Ruger Alaskan. I don't know how you could possibly shoot something like that effectively. It's got to be better than the 45-70 derringer though.

That BFR chambered in 307 Winchester sure would be something to behold though. A real "short rifle".

That looks like something Officer Tackelberry on "Police Academy" would carry as a back up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast