MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Quinetics Self-Adjusting Shell Holder

Quinetics Self-Adjusting Shell Holder

Has anyone ever used one of these & if so, what do you think about it(?) Are there any alternatives or similar self-adjusting shell holders on the market?

Attachment 255732

Your comments & suggestions are most appreciated!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if the one I had was the same brand but it looked just like that about 20-25 years ago, did not work well for me. Hopefully that is better than the one I had.

Here's my thinking. I keep an old RCBS JR on my bench for quick stuff like loading a few rounds or de-capping or other quick tasks. A universal shell holder would seem to be handy to have. Don't know exactly how it works, but I'd guess it couldn't be used for pulling bullets(?)
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    The one I had was to big around to fit on my spartan but did fit on my orange crusher if I remember right .
    Make sure you have clearance for the diameter

Boolit Master
    I have one, that I try from time to time.

It takes some wiggling, sometimes, to get the segments ordered for proper gripping of the shell rim. If it grabs the rim satisfactorily, it takes a lot of wiggling to remove the shell after the operation. If it doesn’t, and I’m full-length sizing, the Universal will pop over the rim, the shell will stick in the sizing die and then I have to remove the Universal, raise the ram, and slide the real shellholder simultaneously into the ram slot and over the shell rim so I can pull the shell back out.

Doesn't happen all the time, but a few instances over the course of 50 shells loaded and Ive lost any “advantage” the Universal might claim.

Too bad; it’s one of those things that would be marvelous if it was totally reliable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I have one, that I try from time to time.

It takes some wiggling, sometimes, to get the segments ordered for proper gripping of the shell rim. If it grabs the rim satisfactorily, it takes a lot of wiggling to remove the shell after the operation. If it doesn’t, and I’m full-length sizing, the Universal will pop over the rim, the shell will stick in the sizing die and then I have to remove the Universal, raise the ram, and slide the real shellholder simultaneously into the ram slot and over the shell rim so I can pull the shell back out.

Doesn't happen all the time, but a few instances over the course of 50 shells loaded and Ive lost any “advantage” the Universal might claim.

Too bad; it’s one of those things that would be marvelous if it was totally reliable.
    That sounds like the one I had.

Banned
    In other words, it's a problem in search of a solution. I have several different brands/designs of those things and none of them work well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had a couple of them.
    It works for powder drop and seating.
    Don't use for sizing.
    They will break.

Boolit Grand Master

In my experience the Self- Adjusting One Shell Holder Fits Everything is in truth a shell holder that fits a lot of cases poorly and a very few cases well .
    It looks and sounds good but in practice will have you pulling out the Redding, RCBS , Lyman or CH4D snap in shell holders when you want to full length resize cases .
    I used one for a short while but in short order went back to good conventional snap in holders for each specific caliber .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I think about the only one that works very well is the one on a coax press.
    How that could be adapted to a conventional press I don't know.
    On a SS press That new shell holder that Lee makes looks like it could speed up certain steps in the process. Maybe not sizing but it should work for other jobs. It's not a universal, you need one for each case head size, just like any shell holder. Being you can push one case out as you insert another looks interesting.
    I may buy one for the -06 head size. Most of what I load for has that size head.
    Leo