RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a chronograph

Boolit Master

Looking for a chronograph

After going without a chronograph for a while, I am planning on purchasing one to replace the Shooting Chrony Alpha Master I shot with my 35 Whelen. I have a gift certificate from Amazon that I would like to use so that limits me to what they offer. My preference would be to replace the one I have with the same model but, it seems, Shooting Chronys are hard to find and none are currently offered on Amazon. A quick check with shooting supply retailers show few models, if any, in stock and Midway indicates "no backorder" on their website. I wonder if they are going out of business. So, any suggestions for a suitable replacement are appreciated.
    Last edited by Maineboy; 01-30-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    After killing a few down range screens I bought a Lab Radar, works great.

Vendor Sponsor

I will second, third and forth the lab radar.
    When they first came out i did not understand the multiple advantages to it.
    Now i would not buy any other
    Just the ability to shoot in Any condition light, no light, clouds it does not matter
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

You don't say what your budget is but I use a Caldwell. Works great and what I like is that I can record the data on my smartphone right on the spot and email it to myself so it doesn't get lost. I also have my smartphone set up to where I can print it at home while still at the range for a hard copy.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Whichever one you choose remember that they are not bullet proof. This I know from actual experience.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Started with a Chrony, then a MagnetoSpeed. I was happy with my MagnetoSpeed until the LabRadar. The MagnetoSpeed and LabRadar are easy to set-up and unlikely to get shot. Though I have my own range, it could be set-up on a public range without problems from other shooters, the MagnetoSpeed would also work well in a 'shared' environment. 1st choice - Labradar, 2nd - MagnetoSpeed, then rest, unless you want the pressure measuring capabilities of the high end Oehler's.

Boolit Buddy
    Same as ioon44 I’ve bagged a few chronographs; finally switched to LabRadar and love it. No need to go down range doesn’t need light. Data easy to transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    With the Caldwell, you can make a metal shield for the Chrono body because everything is on the phone

If money isnt an issue then the Lab Radar or the Oehler are great choices.

Currently I use the Caldwell G2. The ability to record all the data on my phone is what sold me on it. The only time it ever gave me an issue is when the bluetooth somehow unpaired with my phone in the middle of a string and it didnt record the data. Thats only happened once fwiw.

Also the tripod that came with the Caldwell is a bit janky. So it just sits in the corner of the garage and I use an old telescope tripod instead.

I up graded to a LabRadar for the set up convenience and no waiting to go down range but my CED Millennium is a very good chronograph and well worth the money. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Two words:
    Lab
    Radar

Eat ramen for a couple months if you have to...

Boolit Grand Master

I had a pact professional for years and seldom used it do to the set up and light issues with sky screens. It was a great chronograph but got used more for the ballistic programs. When it finally dies I bought the Lab radar and now I chronograph almost every time I am out its so easy and quick to set up light dosnt bother it and its not in front of the firing line. I did make a better Site for the lab Radar. The sky screen unit had several diffusors made for it. Another plus to the lab Radar is it can use the rechargeable ghpne batteries chargers instead of the regular batteries

Boolit Master
    I use the Caldwell and I ain't got no smart phone, but it is cheap and accurate and holds up well.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Whichever one you choose remember that they are not bullet proof. This I know from actual experience.
    yeah..see my thread a couple of years ago "I just got a new Chrony. I just shot my new Chrony". First shot.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Lab Radar would be great.
    They just cost so much.

Boolit Master

I’ve been happy with the CED Pro Chrono Digital chronograph I’ve had for 15 years. Three recommendations for longevity are to always put it on a tripod, always have a target down range to aim at and always shoot off of a stable bench or other rest. It helps to measure the muzzle to chrono distance for consistency. I use 10 feet as my standard distance.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Interesting discussion. I had a Shooting Chrony for a long time, the cheapest one. After about 15 years of dependable use I winged it, cutting a nice groove in the tops of both sensors. Traded it in for a more expensive model, with the remote data screen, that has been reliable for the past twelve years or so.

Sorry to hear that the Shooting Chrony line is getting scarce.

The LabRadar looks like the hot ticket today, particularly for public ranges and for the careless.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Another plus to The Lab Radar I really like is depending on how you set it up it will give 5 readings from muzzle to target at given distances. Its a nice feature and akes figuring the BC for cast bullets much easier

Boolit Grand Master

I tried Shooting Chonry, and always found them fussy. I've only ever seen Labradar used, but it has a ton of cool features if you are looking for something high end. It even reads downrange.

For a bone simple chronograph, it's going to be hard to beat the ProChrono Digital. It's just a simple, American made Chronograph that works in all conditions. I have yet to have mine not work, and that includes snow. Rain might be a problem. They aren't bulletproof. I shot my first one with a shotgun. The replacement is every bit as good.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-31-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Labradar, as long as you see the blue light. For some reason if it is not on then you don't get readings.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast