RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock barrel leading

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Bashby, check out the A.t.M. thread. It is an inexpensive way to check your temp. What you are needing is the temp of the bullets. If I can help please don't hesitate! We are all in this together!
    What’s the ATM thread? Sticky? I looked and didn’t see it.

Boolit Master
    It is in the Coatings and alternatives section. 29 down. That's the best I can do for you I am not too computer savvy. The digital thermometer can be bought on amazon. Most of them come with a thermocouple. Drill a hole in the base of a coated bullet and insert thermocouple and secure with high heat aluminum tape. Put the thermocuple bullet on top of the bullets your are baking. Say if your powder calls for 400F for 10 minutes watch your thermometer and when it hits 400F start a timer set for 10 minutes. This thing will change the instant the temp does. I have used it for 3 years and really like it. It is just another way of doing things,it gives you another option. People have used other ways and they work really well for them. It will cost you around twenty bucks for the set up. The thermocouple wire is thin enough it will not interfere with oven door closing or sealing.
    Last edited by slide; 01-30-2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: more info
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

I shoot a lot of cast in my Glock 35, but I did get some leading in my stock barrel. It was a little weird because it built up on one side of the groves but was very easy to remove. But the accuracy was not very good... So, I use my stock barrel to shoot j-words when I need to.

I have two KKM barrels that I use. One is 40 S&W and the other is 357 Sig. Both of these shoot lead VERY accurately with no lead fouling.

I think the KKM barrels are just a lot higher quality barrels.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Can I expect to see an improvement in accuracy when going to 358 boolits? It seems like groups opened up after I had the barrels throat reworked. Before I was able to shoot 6” groups @ 25 yards off hand, now I am lucky to do that off of a rest. I had same results with my cast loads and a couple types of jacketed ammo. I had Dougs full service done with barrel re-crown and polishing feed ramp area.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	255771

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    Thanks for chiming in Doug, hope all is well with you! I have 358 sizing dies.
    All good now, got clean scans this week!

Keep in mind that the alloy you shoot has a LOT to do with the final size. Softer alloys have less springback so they will come out of a .358" push through sizer a few tenths smaller than a wheel weight alloy will, and probably half thou smaller than a hardcast bhn22. The softer alloys will also seal in the throat on firing, and seal in the barrel better than harder alloy will.

What this means is that if you run a hard boolit through your .358" die, it may not plunk in the chamber if there is any interference with the throat. Mic'ing the hardcast post sizing will always show it is bigger than the die it just went through.

I do not personally recommend hard alloy and don't use it. I have found that in every instance of application, I can get a softer 50/50+2% boolit to out perform everything else, of course YMMV because I also do not shoot Glocks. I hardly think that lower BHN would factor critical in a Glock where nothing else cares about it being too soft. Things like gas checks and PC allow the use of softer alloy without fouling. Softer alloy fits better when gas pressure hits it from behind. This is a cool thing to take advantage of as no amount of tooling and machining can fit one metal to the other as well as gas pressure can.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    Can I expect to see an improvement in accuracy when going to 358 boolits? It seems like groups opened up after I had the barrels throat reworked. Before I was able to shoot 6” groups @ 25 yards off hand, now I am lucky to do that off of a rest. I had same results with my cast loads and a couple types of jacketed ammo. I had Dougs full service done with barrel re-crown and polishing feed ramp area.
    YES. The reason I get so many 35 caliber barrels and cylinders is that most want to size to .358" so that there is an ample amount of lead to be swaged into the rifling for a tight seal. Works in autos, revolvers, and also rifles. Having a barrel fitted to a boolit is a perfect way to achieve that fitment in the bore. Sizing a boolit too small to fill the throat is like the proverbial pissing into the wind for lack of a more appropriate term. That is inviting burning powder gas to escape along the sides of the boolit which cuts PC, lead, lube, anything in it's path. You are virtually guaranteed fouling as a result of gas cutting, and also poor groups.

In all honesty, I haven't gotten one complaint in thousands of barrels and cylinders throated when boolits were sized to the throats. I got one complaint years ago from a retired machinist that thought his cylinder should have come back to him smooth as a baby's behind, i.e. as polished as the S&W factory sends them out which I admit is VERY slick (this was years before I got the Sunnen hone). I got one complaint from a guy who thought the lands were a bit rough and he was correct as I had a new Manson reamer that I used on his barrel that got by their QC and cut a rough leade in. I can't find his correspondence now to offer to re-ream the barrel, Manson immediately replaced that reamer.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-31-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Doug, that is encouraging. Hopefully I will have time this weekend to cast some boolits and size @358.

Many thanks to everyone else too! I’ve really been enjoying my new hobby.

Banned

What make is the barrel

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    What make is the barrel
    It is a factory Glock barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Cast up a pile of boolits last night then PCed a 200 or so, then sized to .358. Loaded them up and hit the range. First thing I did was shot a group at 25 using my range bag as a rest from the bench.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	255963

Then I went to the steel range and shot most of the 200at the plate rack from around 15-20 yards. A couple times I was sure I had a good pull on the trigger and the plate next to the one I was aiming at fell. Missed a lot. Then I shot a mag at a paper plate from 15 free hand.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	255964

Here’s the barrel after 200 rounds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77458AF8-5FAA-4456-A86B-18EF9D56F014.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	255965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFFE6303-B5AD-49F5-85CA-30E4FFAF11F7.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	255966

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone else notice anything on those paper plate targets? A couple of those holes look funky. Not the classic keyholes I’ve seen, but looks like they went in sideways to me.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	255977Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	255978

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	255979

Boolit Master
    Have you been able to tell if that is lead or coating?

Boolit Master
    Don't Glox go boom with lead, unless not polygonal?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Have you been able to tell if that is lead or coating?
    Pretty sure it’s lead. I haven’t cleaned it after today’s range session, but since I’ve been shooting cast, I’ve had deposits that a patch with Hoppes wouldn’t touch. It took some aggressive work with a copper brush to break it loose, then a patch is lead gray in color.

Boolit Master
    Cast and powder coated and loaded and shot within 24 hours of casting. No chance for age hardening was there?

Boolit Buddy
    They were probably pretty soft.

Boolit Master
    Get some chore boy pads. Make sure they are 100% copper,wrap around your cleaning brush. Should remove it. You can get them at most grocery stores. Bullets are not getting swaged down? It could be the pc. I know you don't know me but, if you want to send me some bullets I will powdercoat them for you. I use the a.t.m. and it has made all the difference for me. It has been four years now and I was about ready to go back to lubed. You can p.m. me if you are interested.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m gonna pull a few and check for swaging. Not tonight though.
    I did pull one at the start of loading those 200 rounds. It was swaged a bit, it was .3575 or so. Maybe I need to work on the adjustment on my seat/ crimp die.

Boolit Master
    That would be a good place to start. The measurement is a good clue.