Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Source for thread chasers?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Source for thread chasers?

Hi all.

I need a set of SAE thread chasers, cheap is preferred; 1/4-20" and smaller. (I have a storage rack and am bolting "J-hooks" onto it, but need to shorten the bolts and clean up the threads so the bolts aren't over length.) In setting up to move I cannot get at the tap and die set - Oops.

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    This may be to shade tree for you , but I just run a nut on them before cutting then clean up the cut with a file , cut off wheel or belt sander then back the nut off works fine for me 99.9% of the time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    This may be to shade tree for you , but I just run a nut on them before cutting then clean up the cut with a file , cut off wheel or belt sander then back the nut off works fine for me 99.9% of the time.
    This is what I usually do too. Over the years I've accumulated many taps & dies though. If you want a cheap set of SAE taps & dies check out Harbor Freight. I don't like their stuff but many people use them, I'd trust the dies over the taps. https://www.harborfreight.com/Carbon...-Pc-62831.html

Boolit Master
    You can try McMaster Carr for all stuff nuts, bolts, taps, and dies. They ship super fast too.

Boolit Master

Small Tools Inc. located in Euclid, OH. I've found taps and dies from 0-80 to over an inch, they have metric as well some Whitworth and BSF. New and used. Call them and tell them what your looking for. The owner is Bill, he or his wife will answer the phone
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

Many of the lesser expensive electrical crimping tools have thread chasers on them. Most I have seen are machine screw sizes like #'s 6,8,10 and 12. You screw the screw into it, cut it off and back it out.

A nut would do it for me for this probably, the plan is to cut the bolts shorter then thread lock the acorn nuts on (otherwise my hands get cut up a lot when reaching past these; I'd been using nylon wire ties but the J hooks are heavily loaded at times so they were stretching / breaking too often.)

So a nut would clean the threads up "well enough" to get the acorn nuts on.

I'll look at the other places too, thanks all!

Boolit Grand Master

I ussually cut and chamfer with a gile. running a nut down first. Use a fine blde in the hacksaw like 32 tpi

file instead of gile? (Typos happen!) I probably will use a cutoff wheel in the rotary tool.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry my keyboard is getting old ( like the user). The cut off wheel will work then a mounted point and chamfer end. If the studs arent to long chuck inn drill motor and spin to cut chamfer. I have done it all with the cut off wheel. Chuck in lathe cut chamfer first to dept the square wheel and cut off. this gives a solid surface for the wheel and keeps threads from pulling the cut. Makes a very professional job

Run 2 nuts on, then tighten against each other to lock where you want to cut. Much easier. Then clean up, taper with the file.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    Everybody needs a set of those square thread files. I reach for them before I get out the die set. They are really good at restoring threads that have been damaged or bumped or rusted. When you live on a farm with some old equipment the files are a must.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Everybody needs a set of those square thread files. I reach for them before I get out the die set. They are really good at restoring threads that have been damaged or bumped or rusted. When you live on a farm with some old equipment the files are a must.
    Yep and they pack lighter than a full set of dies. I've got 2 that cover 16 pitches.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

The term thread chasers general refers to solid hex dies that look like normally threading dies. These are not designed for cutting new threads. There primary purpose is for thread repair. https://www.mcmaster.com/thread-chasers
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Yep and they pack lighter than a full set of dies. I've got 2 that cover 16 pitches.
    It must be the same set of thread files I have also. And they work very well as thread gauges too to figure out how many threads per inch an unknown bolt has. That and a bolt diameter gauge determine all you need to go purchase a new bolt when needed.

Why not just buy shorter bolts?
    Most hardware stores carry bolts of various lengths in most diameters.
    Leo

Did you try the Internet for vendors? https://www.google.com/search?q=thre...=firefox-b-1-m
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    See if you can borrow a die from a friend. You still might need to touch up where it was cut off.

Boolit Master
    Might give Fastenal a try also.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck