Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingADvertise hereWideners

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: RB in air rifles?

  1. #1
    Boolit Grand Master


    richhodg66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,461

    RB in air rifles?

    Would a round ball of appropriate diameter shoot Ok in air rifles? I know most are designed around waited, hollow base pellet designs, but it seems like the small bearing surface of a round ball would work OK.

  2. #2
    Boolit Buddy
    Buzz Krumhunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    The Big Bend
    Posts
    140
    Benjamin used to sell .22 lead shot for their air rifles, so yeah, if you can find the right size lead RB, I think it will work.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master
    kens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    coastal Ga
    Posts
    1,065
    yes, they are called BB guns.
    the good ones are rifled barrels.
    common pellets are .177 and BB shot is .180

  4. #4
    I found some for my 22 cal air rifle and the lead balls do not group well.
    rrh

  5. #5
    Boolit Grand Master GhostHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Fargo ND
    Posts
    5,272
    I use a sharpshooter .22 mold to make ammo for my two Hatsans. They are a very snug fit, and shoot a tighter group at close range than pellets.
    I did it for peace of mind, knowing I could still put meat on the table if there were no pellets available.

  6. #6
    Boolit Grand Master


    richhodg66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,461
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I use a sharpshooter .22 mold to make ammo for my two Hatsans. They are a very snug fit, and shoot a tighter group at close range than pellets.
    I did it for peace of mind, knowing I could still put meat on the table if there were no pellets available.
    What kind of alloy do you use? Pellets are always dead soft, but I figured a round ball with less bearing surface and no need to expand a hollow base for obturation might do better with a harder alloy.

  7. #7
    Boolit Grand Master GhostHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Fargo ND
    Posts
    5,272
    Used my normal that is in the pot. Roughly 50% COWW and 50% range scrap. Might have a smidge of tin/pewter.

    Still fairly soft, but harder than pellets. Probably 2 thou bigger than the pellets.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master

    Bent Ramrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    Posts
    3,470
    I’ve tried Benjamin .177 and .22 lead shot in Benjamin and other air rifles. The groups are larger and the trajectories steeper than the same power levels with the normal pellets.

    Not hopeless, of course; you can still hit stuff. But no particular advantage unless you have one of the rare multi shot Benjamins and want to use the magazine.

    I wouldn’t try the steel shot in any rifled airgun, though.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master


    georgerkahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    South of the (Canada) border
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Would a round ball of appropriate diameter shoot Ok in air rifles? I know most are designed around waited, hollow base pellet designs, but it seems like the small bearing surface of a round ball would work OK.
    To my thinking, the barrel -- whether rifled or not -- is the decider re balls or pellets. BB guns and similar are an unrifled straight tube, for the most part, and putting a spin on the ball would have no real positive effect. However, just like the spin on a foot-ball, the rifling gives stability to a pellet quite improving its ability to impact target consistently at both greater velocities and ranges. I'm sure you may put and shoot, say, .22 rb's in a .22 pellet rifle, but am uncertain there'd be any advantage. Plus, as there may be a secondary rotation (think of a major league baseball pitcher's dropping fast ball) -- the rifling induced rotation may in fact have negative results. Again -- I do NOT know -- this is, just based on my (feeble ) thoughts... Matter of fact, you have me thinking as perhaps a project for upcoming (if we ever get it) summer shooting, to shoot both pellets and rb's, and document differences, if any.
    geo

  10. #10
    Boolit Buddy rsterne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Coalmont, BC
    Posts
    291
    The biggest problem with using lead shot is consistency of size.... As an example, OOO buck, which is supposed to be 0.36" varies from 0.352" to 0.366".... When used in a .357 ca barrel, the smallest ones roll through, and the largest ones you couldn't beat in with a hammer.... The same thing applies to #3 shot in a .25 cal.... or #1 shot in a .30 cal....

    Bob

  11. #11
    Boolit Master


    Springfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    3,487
    georgerkahn: Rifled muskets are much more accurate then unrifled, pretty sure an airgun would be too. All Cap and ball handguns are rifled also, and mostly use balls. The trick is to use the right size ball, that is smaller than the bore, so that it grabs the rifling.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master


    georgerkahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    South of the (Canada) border
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    georgerkahn: Rifled muskets are much more accurate then unrifled, pretty sure an airgun would be too. All Cap and ball handguns are rifled also, and mostly use balls. The trick is to use the right size ball, that is smaller than the bore, so that it grabs the rifling.
    Thank you, Springfield! My post was, as I wrote, just from my thoughts on it. Your information, obviously based on data surely "trumps" it! It's a good day when I learn a bit.... My appreciation for your posting correct info; I was thinking of baseballs -- not muskets and the like...
    geo

  13. #13

  14. #14

    Cool

    I have the NOE 22 magnum mould with the extra pins to make a hollow base skirt, heavier than the swaged ones they sell.
    Then I can go heavier than that as the next shorter pin let's more lead in the cast pellet to make the skirt thicker.
    The next shorter pins make the pellet with an almost solid skirt.
    They are not as flat shooting of course, but they are for hunting and they really do the job.
    I use a Benjamin pump .22, but I know I can step up in power to more power if I need it.
    At present, I am satisfied with what I have.
    I also bought the lighter .22 mould when it was available.
    It too has extra pins.
    Extra fun!

  15. #15
    Boolit Master 35 shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    collins ms.
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    I have the NOE 22 magnum mould with the extra pins to make a hollow base skirt, heavier than the swaged ones they sell.
    Then I can go heavier than that as the next shorter pin let's more lead in the cast pellet to make the skirt thicker.
    The next shorter pins make the pellet with an almost solid skirt.
    They are not as flat shooting of course, but they are for hunting and they really do the job.
    I use a Benjamin pump .22, but I know I can step up in power to more power if I need it.
    At present, I am satisfied with what I have.
    I also bought the lighter .22 mould when it was available.
    It too has extra pins.
    Extra fun!
    How are they grouping from your pumper?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check