WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Wilmington, DE Scrap Yard

Boolit Buddy

Wilmington, DE Scrap Yard

Was looking for some dead soft lead, and bought some 1/8” thick lead sheeting at the scrap yard today. They guys there were great, they had pallets of the stuff and had an employee come and cut off a 14lbs piece of sheet for me. Going to try a piece tomorrow and see if the cast balls weighs in at the number provided in the Lyman manual. Material in got here last year was within 2.2% (225 gr vs 230 gr). If you have a local scrap yard check them out.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, BTW it was $0.79 a pound.

What was the name of the place. I live in the suburbs outside of wilmington.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

That's going to be pretty much pure.

Get all you'll want while you can.
    Those deals are getting fewer, farther in between, and more expensive when they do come around.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Good score. I’d get as much as you can afford while it lasts.

Banned

We have one scrap yard here in town that usually has some lead around and I have traded worn out brass and bullet jackets for lead. Still some out there who work with you.

I have a good amount of lead. Access to a range I can mine salvage from and the vast majority of the shooting I do now goes into a berm on land I own, so not really worried about getting more, but if I had a need for pure lead and found a place like that, I'd be figuring out a way to get a lot more than 14 pounds of it next time I went.

Boolit Master
    It does seem to be common advice here, mostly based on personal observation and experience, to not assume a casting metals source is always going to be available and affordable. It's not my experience, but I've only been at this for a few years. Even so, I've been trying to stockpile against the possibility that my sources will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    It does seem to be common advice here, mostly based on personal observation and experience, to not assume a casting metals source is always going to be available and affordable. It's not my experience, but I've only been at this for a few years. Even so, I've been trying to stockpile against the possibility that my sources will disappear.
    I don't think sources will disappear...at least not entirely, but I do think the price of good clean lead will be heading up, up and up as the years go by. Wheel weights are already a labor intensive source, and by no means the bargain they used to be, but they sure were a good, easy source of clean lead just 20 years ago. With all the big-brother regulating going on these days....I think known pure lead at less than a buck/pound is a great investment.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Diamond State Recycling, 1600 Bowers Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    What was the name of the place. I live in the suburbs outside of wilmington.

Boolit Buddy
    Just cast some round balls with my same mold, and again they are 225 grains vs. 230. I think I’m good on soft lead for at least a few years! Address shown above if you are in the Philly region.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the yards around here are part of big corporations and won't sell to the public. Most of the small family businesses have been bought out by the bigger companies. I envy you guys that have scrap yards that will sell to you.

I'm another that thinks that lead is going to be harder and harder to get. In my lifetime I have seen it go from plentiful and cheap to scarce and expensive. I encourage everyone to stock up.