RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rechambering and Boring a H&R Handi Barrel!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Rechambering and Boring a H&R Handi Barrel!

I'm interested in having My H&R handi rifle barrel ( .223 Rem) rechambered and re-rifled but I do not want to send it to JES because he only cuts .35 Calibers
    I would be interested in seeing alternate smaller calibers ( less then .35) and unique cast bullet calibers for this rifle barrel with the .223 Chamber
    Everyone list the calibers that can be cut but no one list who can do the work!
    Anybody have a handle on the folks that can do this?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Wayne York does nice work:
    Oregunsmithing, LLC
    W. Wayne York, Gunmaker
    43906 Jerico Lane
    Pendleton, OR 97801
    Phone: 541-278-4177
    Fax: 541-278-4797
    Email: Oregunsmithing@earthlink.net
    http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

JES is not limited to 35 cal rebores. Take a look at his website for available rebores. I had JES rebore a 336 30-30 barrel to .410 groove. I know he can rebore to at least 44 cal and maybe 45 cal.

BB

Boolit Buddy

I am also looking at re doing a HR ultra Varminter and I see that JES is starting to re-bore for the 350 legend when I have a little extra cash I am going to see if he can do it.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    A thought - have you considered doing a 'stub?' Cut the barrel off in front of the chamber, have the chamber end bored out to accept a new barrel pressed in and secured with epoxy or silver solder, then chambered. That gives you many more options than sticking with the existing chamber size.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

You didn't list what is a unique cast boolit caliber you might be thinking of but H&R / NEF made a lot of caliber choices in the handi rifles. Trading or selling your barrel and buying what you want would most likely be more cost effective than a rebore. The reason I say that is for what your barrel is worth plus the cost of the rebore you can have a complete rifle or maybe something you like better ?
    What about a 30-30 ?

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 02-01-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post

JES is not limited to 35 cal rebores. Take a look at his website for available rebores.

Yep.

J E S Rifle Reboring

* 3, 4 and Early style Winchester 5 groove CUT riffling

* Calibers/Bores
    : 338, 358, 9.3, 375, 405 [ 410], 444, 458, 50

* Chambers: 338 Win Mag, 338 Federal, 338-06, 38 Special, 35-30-30, 35 Krag, 35-300 Savage, 35-303 British, 35 Russian, 358 Win, 9.3 x 62 Mauser, 35 & 375 Whelen,38-55, 375 H&H,375 Win 405 Winchester, 405 JES, 458 Mag, 50-70, 50 Alaskan.

* Others on request.

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post

I would be interested in seeing alternate smaller calibers ( less then .35) and unique cast bullet calibers for this rifle barrel with the .223 Chamber
    Of course, none of them except a .35 can be done on a .223 chambered barrel...…..

BTW, as bullet diameter increases when using a .223 parent chamber, about the best that can be done would be a wildcat 6mm X .223 cartridge.

The barrel can be rebored to .30cal, but the efficiency goes way down with the small .223 case.

If a caliber less than .35 is desired in a Handy, it makes much more sense (economically and physically ) to just buy a barrel in the larger caliber of your choice.

Last edited by pietro; 01-30-2020 at 08:32 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

that 35 Russian might be a sweet deal for someone with a sewerpipe MN 91/30
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

JES did a NEF bull barrel .223 into .41 Magnum for me.
    Thinking about sending him something for .338 boolits.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    that 35 Russian might be a sweet deal for someone with a sewerpipe MN 91/30
    I think he states he won't do military barrels.

I was looking around a while back for someone who might rebore a .222 to make a .25 Copperhead. Seems smiths who will do small rebores are few and far between.

Boolit Buddy
    I just had a good conversation with Wayne York last weekend. Him and Danny Pedersen were recently comparing notes and realized there's only 4 gunsmiths left in the USA that rebore rifles. None of them do all calibers and bores, but between the 4 of them they get close. Danny and Wayne charge $350 plus return shipping, they both lap their bores, and take 4+ months. JES charges ~$250, takes 2 weeks, but doesn't lap his bores. I shoot an average of 150 rounds to smooth JES bores and can do that in less time it takes to get one from Danny or Wayne. Wayne never did mention who the fourth smith was. Wayne rebored my .223 Handi rifle to .348 Win and I love it!!

The fourth is Al Seigrist in MI. He's been reboring since 1970 and charges $250 plus return shipping. Said he does many calibers from 22 to 50.

Thanks, Dinny
    Last edited by Dinny; 02-16-2020 at 11:30 PM.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I really do not want to go to .35 or plus
    That is why I'm looking for .30 something or less ( but I may consider .32 Something)
    That is Why JES is out of the picture. I have discussed this with him aready
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Banned

Have you looked into having the barrel lined? I think there are some limitations of what can be done, but for a smaller bore caliber, it might be a better option than a rebore.

Boolit Master

.277 wolverine is a shortened and resize .223 if you can find someone to rebore to .277
    Round Bullet Weight Barrel Length Muzzle Velocity Ballistic Coefficient(G1) Energy at 300 yards

.277 Wolverine 90 gr (5.8 g) 16 in (410 mm) 2,750 ft/s (840 m/s) 0.275 736 ft⋅lbf (998 J)
    .277 Wolverine 100 gr (6.5 g) 16 in (410 mm) 2,600 ft/s (790 m/s) 0.323 754 ft⋅lbf (1,022 J)
    .277 Wolverine 110 gr (7.1 g) 16 in (410 mm) 2,500 ft/s (760 m/s) 0.370 837 ft⋅lbf (1,135 J)

Boolit Master
    I am also looking for someone who can do the smaller calibers. I would like a 30 Carbine or 30 Apache chambering in a lightweight bolt action. The single shot rifle with a stubbed barrel lug is a good idea.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    that 35 Russian might be a sweet deal for someone with a sewer pipe MN 91/30
    I've got one of those Russian sewer pipe guns and will send it off this spring for JES to work his magic on it!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I have handi rifle barrels in 303 British, 8 X 50 Lebel, 8x 57 Mauser, 50-70 Gov. and several rimmed wildcat rounds in 270, 338, and 375 calibers. All were made by stubbing, or a thick wall liner in a shotgun barrel.
    I no longer do projects for others but if you can find someone who will you can have most anything you want.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Better of to sell it and get a contender bbl in what you want.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Well you don’t want a 35, but a 223 would probably clean up to make a nice 357 MAXimum. Then you could also shoot up any 38 Spl & 357 Magnum ammo that we all seem to accumulate, as well as 357 MAXimum.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    JES did a NEF bull barrel .223 into .41 Magnum for me.
    Thinking about sending him something for .338 boolits.
    I must find a 223 now!!!!! What did he charge for that????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast