RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W Scandium 340PD FAILURE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    That's why police duty loads are sealed for water and oilproofing with Black Lucas, which also increases bullet pull.

Important safety tip - pull down one of your factory rounds.

If you see no black mouth varnish you should buy something different next time.
    Excellent point. I hadn't thought about that.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Sad to hear of these problems. I don't follow the S&W forums much, are these problems common? I do know that since S&W bought out Thompson Center that quality has dropped.
    You don't hear much about them on Internet forums. But if you attend LE instructor seminars they do occur occasionally, though I would not say frequently. If you re-read the original post the reported experience paints a clear enough picture for me to look at other options before I would buy a new S&W today. But I still have a healthy skpeticism from experiencing outright lies and attempted fraud by their corporate reps during during contract proceedings of the 1980s in which certain parties then in their corporate came very close to going to jail. I would grade their corporate dishonesty on a par with VW and their diesel vehicle claims and will leave it there.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

This is a fine time to be buying the S&W police turn in K frames from places like AIM Surplus. Better quality for half the price, even better with no MIM parts, external locks, or two piece barrels, and with a hammer mounted firing pin.

I bought a stainless 65, no worry about finish, and it's an excellent shooter. Who knows how much longer they'll be around?

Boolit Master
    S&W needed to replace the frame (they can’t repair aluminum frames so those are replaced when this happens) they sent him a bill for $145 even though they said it had nothing to do with anything he had done.
    What a load of horse-hockey. I guarantee that Ruger would not have done that.

those are replaced when this happens
    When this happens? Not very assuring, I know that will never be buy one.

I do know that since S&W bought out Thompson Center that quality has dropped.
    I don't know about any of T/C's other products but I have a T/C made contender, a T/C made G2, and a S&W G2. The S&W G2 I've had most problems with. Cracked stock from the factory. The rimfire pin in the hammer fell out. When I sent it back to S&W they returned the thing to me with an entirely new hammer and the trigger stunk.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if the Ruger LCR would suffer the same problems under the same conditions? Or Taurus.

I really do want a light .357 but, I may have to stay with a semi-auto.

Boolit Master
    I thought the warning pertaining to light bullets was to prevent erosion of Ti cylinders. From what I’ve read on other forums, Ti is somewhat porous and does not tolerate heat terribly well.

It also seems to me heavier bullets would be more inclined to creep.

I once had a 325 PD, which I sometimes regret trading (not so much when I see stories like this about Sc frames cracking.) I could shoot five rounds of just about any 230 grain factory ball and bullet #6 would slip crimp significantly.

Another thing about Titanium is that it reacts adversely with graphite, a common additive to smokeless propellant and some cast bullet lubes (like Moly-Bee).

Boolit Grand Master
    I appreciate the heads-up, Outpost. I have a nearly-new Model 642/38 +P, I will keep an eye on the stress points. So far, no issues for about 450 rounds.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I bought a M642 in .357 when they came out almost 25yrs ago. Fired 2 mag rds. Emptied the cylinder and reloaded with .38 W/C's. Never fired another magnum, fitted it with Packs. Sold it off to a friend who shot REM 125gr JHP's.
    Cylinder cracked after 60rds. Smith replaced the Cylinder and told him to change brands of ammo. Forcing cone cracked after another 100+ rds of Fed 158gr JHP's. Smith refused to replace the Revolver, accusing him of using hot handloads.
    Cost me a Good Friend.

Another Friend bought a New M19 Classic-4" bbl. I made him a Beautiful Carved Holster, a copy of the Bianchi #5 lined.
    Blasted gun didn't fit, 4.25" bbl.

GEEZ ! S&W is getting to just not be worth the effort.
    OLD IRON is the way to go.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I've been shooting my 2016 produced M442Pro using almost exclusively Federal 130 grain HST and Lee RNFPs ballistically matched to that load (as well as I can). I shoot around 25 round per week. It's nearing 1000 rounds with zero problems. I don't like the 642s and related matte gray finish guns because it's hard to see the sights, especially in sunlight. I shoot my wife's 638 sometimes. I blacked out the sights with Britemark which needs to be periodically restored.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12