WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: walnut tree value

Boolit Master

First off it should be at least a sentence of 20 years at hard labor for anyone found guilty of cutting up a walnut tree for firewood!!!! Even to suggest such a thing should be considered a felony!

I wish I lived close enough to help you out there, the $200 figure that has been mentioned is about right for the tree you have described but they also should have to clean up the mess for you. I have bought a couple of trees here locally and salvaged one from a couple of dum,,,,,,err,,,well less than real smart folks, who were cutting up a huge very old walnut for firewood that likely would have brought them a couple of thousand had they sold it. I paid $100 for two other trees and gave two fellas $200 ($100 ea) to cut them down and clean up the mess then I salvaged the forks and sold the logs to a lumber yard for most of my money back and I got the forks which is what I was mostly after, if a fork is large and solid it can be worth way more than the log (to the right people, such as me ) ! If you have someone cut that thing DON'T LET THEM RUIN THE CROTCH WOOD BY CUTTING IT TOO SHORT!!!!!! It makes me sick to see some of the otherwise beautiful pieces of walnut crotch RUINED by the logger cutting as close to it as he can, he gains about $10 worth of log and ruins a piece of crotch wood that could otherwise be worth more than the stikin log!

I have a large walnut crotch here drying right now that I gave $200 for and I can't wait to cut it open to see what I have, if there is rot I may not have much and that sometimes happens but usually I can find a few pieces that are the equal of wood blanks I see on Ebay for as much as $1000 or even more. If you have that tree cut then have the logger leave at least a foot of wood below where the bark starts to split. You might be surprised at how much interest you would get listing that crotch on Craigslist.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

We had a similar size black walnut die at my workplace this year. I looked briefly into it's value as lumber and didn't have any good options.

It made me sad but we just cut it for firewood. It still has value and will be appreciated!

Boolit Grand Master

First off it should be at least a sentence of 20 years at hard labor for anyone found guilty of cutting up a walnut tree for firewood!!!! Even to suggest such a thing should be considered a felony!

How about Cherry? There are a few trees near my camp up north that are spectacular. One fell down in a storm and I measured 3 Veneer grade logs out of the trunk about 36 in DBH. It then had a bunch of branches that could be sawn up for bowls, stocks etc. I didn't have time to get it done when I was there on vacation so let it sit for the next year. When I got back the next summer I went over to take a look. The camp a few miles from me had cut the entire thing up for camp wood. Split and all.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    You might be surprised at how much interest you would get listing that crotch on Craigslist.
    Yup...

I have had 5 Camphor trees offered for free just for cutting and removal. The cost of labour from a commercial tree feller was too much @ $3000. When dry it has about the same density as walnut and IMHO better grain figure.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Good luck. I have a Brazilian Rosewood tree down on my property and can't seem to find anyone interested in it. Before rainy season this year it will be cut and stacked for firewood. I do not have a mill nor am I interested in getting one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Good luck. I have a Brazilian Rosewood tree down on my property and can't seem to find anyone interested in it. Before rainy season this year it will be cut and stacked for firewood. I do not have a mill nor am I interested in getting one.
    When I still lived in Fla. a group of luthiers would get together to buy a tree and make stringed instruments for folk and bluegrass. You might find a weekly jam in your area and make a connection for your Brazilian rosewood.

Boolit Master

that i wouldnt do, especially since in recent years they have made brazillian rosewood an endangered species an no longer import it into the USA. in a few years as supplies dry up, it could really gain value.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    jonp,
    Not so much for cherry unless it is figured ( not often)!
    But depending on where you are you never know
    In NEPA we have a lot of wild black cherry ...yes cabinet makers like it but it dosen't have the value of Black Walnut
    But I sure wouldn't make firewood out of that either!

I do not know much out of Camphor Wood never heard of it being used for a gunstock
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Call Martin Guitar company before you cut it , they might be interested in buying it on the stump .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

While I agree in concept, from a global kinda perspective....we all live in different worlds/environments. It grows like a weed around here. I live in an area referred to as 'Walnut Grove'....go to a church by the same name. It's literally everywhere....so if it's not a spectacular specimen of a tree, it's absolutely free game for firewood. I have dozens, maybe 100s, on my property, but none are bigger than maybe 14dbh, most smaller than that. I don't cut them for firewood...but if one dies or falls, it's probably gonna end up in the wood furnace. Locally it's just not that big a thing.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    BAW...Camphor Laurel splits as it dries......woodturners use it by turning green and wet and microwaving the finished object ......apparently sets the sap ,and slows shrinkage.

Boolit Master

everything splits as it dries if you dont seal the ends.

One of the issues is in this area black walnut is fairly common and don't really bring a premium same with all of the hardwoods really their everywhere . My dad had a few acres logged about 8 years ago most all of that lumber ended up as pallet wood or dunage for industry according to the guys logging it .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I used to work as a veneer buyer a few years back. I would cringe whenever a land owner would call me for a yard tree. Our mill wouldn't buy them for rist of embedded metal. We would resell all the walnut we got to a bigger sawmill. He would have walnut auctions occasionally and I was there for one. The majority of buyers were from China. I know logs but walnut is a specialty. They can go for big bucks for things that would be considered firewood in hard maple. I would suggest hiring someone to cut the tree down for you if you are unable to yourself. Then call around to some bigger sawmills and see if they will come out and look at what you have. If they will buy a yard tree you may be looking at a few thousand dollars if the wood is nice. Being the tree is around 40 years old and 22 inch diameter it was a fast grown tree with wide growth rings. That really hurts the value so I wouldn't get my hopes up much. Walnut is big business in your area so go online and find some sawmills that specialize in it and ask them before you do anything.
    /\ This is pretty close to my view and experience.

My family had a large number of black walnut trees on a property but their value was a bit of a moving target.
    As a veneer log, it had one value and was relatively easy to harvest. As specialty lumber (quarter sawn boards for furniture and high end trim) it had another value - but only as a finished product. Nobody would pay top dollar for it as a standing tree.
    As wood for gun stocks, people would talk a big game but absolutely no one would actually pay for the standing tree. Most conversations went like this: "that tree is worth $5000 (or some other big number)"; "OK, give me $1000 and you can cut it down and take it away". "oh,.....ah.......er..........I'll get back to you".

Boolit Buddy
    Don't use it for fire wood!
    Here's a forum I'm on and I'm sure if you post it on there someone will want it.
    http://luthiersforum.com/forum/index...21875a8ca506ea
    If you'd like I'll post it and pass on contact info to the right people.
    P.M. me !!!!!!!!!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Better check in to that before making it into firewood. Rosewood is toxic, and can poison you when cutting it. I always disliked working with it to make forend and grip caps, even with a respirator it would make me feel ill. I hate to think what the smoke would be like from burning it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    jonp,
    Not so much for cherry unless it is figured ( not often)!
    But depending on where you are you never know
    In NEPA we have a lot of wild black cherry ...yes cabinet makers like it but it dosen't have the value of Black Walnut
    But I sure wouldn't make firewood out of that either!

I do not know much out of Camphor Wood never heard of it being used for a gunstock
    Cherry up where I am is not common and there are 2 Ethan Allen Furniture Plants not far that would buy it for that use. They pay top dollar for that type of wood not only cherry but maple, beech, birch etc as long as it's top grade. Lesser is of more value as firewood.

I've also never heard of camphor wood. Looks pretty, though.
    Here is an interesting sight that lists woods and what they are used for https://www.wood-database.com/wood-f...=C&fwp_paged=2
    Last edited by jonp; 01-31-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    So perspective , the thing with logs is you never know what's inside till it's cut .
    Plain Jain walnut isn't really all that valuable . And a 22 inch 8 ft log won't yield all that much lumber. Maybe 150 bdf on a thinner Kerf
    Circle mill if it's dead straight and not much taper .
    A band mill might get 160bdf yield .
    In my area , that log is worth about $0.30 a bdf if you haul it to a sawmill yourself to sell .

Boolit Master

It's worth way more than that here, I got a $1.10 a bdf for those logs I sold. Besides it's that crotch wood that can bring a good bit of change, just check prices for that stuff on Ebay, even one good stock piece from a solid fork with good figure can bring hundreds. I have several pieces drying now and a couple ready to work plus a couple I have turned into stocks already, these all came from forks that were destined for firewood before I salvaged them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JSQ7tyI.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	255798

Name:	LcmVoEW.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	255799

Name:	bhw5_zps129263fa.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	255800

The first two are both sides of the same stock and the bottom one is a lousy phone pic that washes out the figure in the rear of the larger rifle, the forearm came from the same piece of wood and the stock has much better figure on the other side and at the rear. The stock on the smaller rifle actually came from a fairly young tree that was twisted and curved so was totally worthless for any kind of saw mill lumber but that twisted trunk yielded two stock blanks the likes of which I have seen go for well over a thousand bucks on Ebay, I was delighted when I cut open that log! Even a small fork cut properly can yield surprising pieces of wood sometimes, ya just never know what's in there till you open one up.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast