ADvertise hereTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners

Thread: Higher altitude baking tricks

Higher altitude baking tricks

Back home here in western Pa it's only like 1500 ft mom can bake with the best of them and dad was always a happy man because of it , last few years they have been spending about half the year in Colorado Springs don't know exact elevation but a lot more than back home. Seems like no matter what Mom tries with her baking recipes nothing is turning out well and well Dad is getting thinner and less happy about his pies and cookies and other baked goods .Maybe this is why there's hardly any bake shops in Co springs and no lady locks(cream horns) to be found anywhere So what's the secrets to baking in higher altitudes ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Most recipies will list what to do for high altitude. Usually you add a very small amount of flour.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

At the store, have your Mom check for High altitude flour (yes, there is such a thing). I think its usually known as Hungarian High altitude flour. Have her check at King Supers supermarket. Sometimes Safeway or Wally world don't carry it. Usually on the package, they tell you how to compensate for the higher altitude. CO Springs is around 6000 ft, same as at my house. Things are a lot different, baking at altitude.

We are at 7000' here in Flagstaff. Normally you need to slightly increase liquid, reduce baking powder and sugar slightly, cook longer and increase temperature by about 25 degrees. My wife does all the baking, and she's got it dialed in for our elevation.

Years ago (like 1960s) the county extension offices published a cookbook and tips for high altitude cooking. Most older cookbooks also had tips. The local church groups also publish proven local recipes.

Boolit Buddy

We're at 3,700 feet elev. Most recipes recommend using high elevation adjustments above 3,00 feet. My wife always raises the temp 25 degrees and follows the recommendations listed on the recipes. And I am eating fine baked goods here !