WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Looking for a mold for my .41 Magnum Blackhawk

Boolit Mold

Looking for a mold for my .41 Magnum Blackhawk

I want to start casting whitetail hunting and plinking bullets for my .41. I would like to use a Keith type bullet but would like to go ahead and get something with gas checks so that if I ever get a lever gun I could run warmer loads through it. Does anyone make a Keith type .41 mold with a gas check?

Try noe. Most of their molds you can get plain base or gas check.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Lyman 410610 is a gas check design 215 grain SWC.. I got mine used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2265.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Arsenal molds has a Keith bullet with a gas check option. Accurate molds can accommodate you if it's not in the catalogue already. NOE does not offer one.

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?pro...d=70&limit=100

Look at Accurate molds. He makes a pile of them, but I think NOE makes one with HP pins

Boolit Grand Master

Do yourself a favor and get a 230gr class WFN design. It’ll feed better in the lever gun and will be less likely to give you OAL problems with the lever gun as well.

NOE has Keith HP style but no gas checks. His one gc design is a tapered boolit like the mehi 413640. The Keiths are equal drive bands, square lube groove and plain based, kind of like a Lyman 410459 only heavier.

Cast Hunter

I never did get very good results with the Lyman 410610 in my Blackhawks. I designed a 240 gn Kieth on the Mountain Molds site and that shot better than anything else. That Kieth also shoots great in my .41 mag Henry BBS. NOE and Accurate should have good options.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by blindbernie View Post
    I want to start casting whitetail hunting and plinking bullets for my .41. I would like to use a Keith type bullet but would like to go ahead and get something with gas checks so that if I ever get a lever gun I could run warmer loads through it. Does anyone make a Keith type .41 mold with a gas check?
    Bernie,
    welcome to the forum.
    I have a bunch of 41 molds...but I recommend the following...
    A year ago, Arsenal molds ran a group buy for this mold (41-220-RF). I bought a 5 cavity mold, cut so 4 cavities are plain base and 1 cavity is GC. I have both a Marlin and a Henry, and this boolit cycles reliably in each gun...some leverguns won't reliably cycle SWC,,,so be aware of that. It has a decent sized meplat, so it will likely be as good or even better than most SWC boolits for hunting. Why mostly plain base? you will find out that you don't need a GC when shooting in handguns, so it becomes a wasted expense and a waste of extra time during sizing.
    that's my 2˘

http://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?ro...product_id=209
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have that same mold, only all 5 cavities are plain base and it is a nlg design. It looks more like a wfn design. It is a great bullet.

Go to Accurate. Tomwill mod any of the molds shown.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I have this mold but haven't cast any bullets with it yet. It comes highly recommended by some of the guys on the Single Action forum. You can get it gas checked and with the hollow point pins. It's not a Keith bullet but a good performer from what I'm told.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/41-...-multi-choice/
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Grand Master

Here are my two favorite designs , both from NOE .
    I've been a 41 magnum fan for 4 decades now .

NOE 412-237- SWC (KEITH)...hunting and general purpose .

NOE 413 -215-WC (413432)..,\. Targets, tin cans and plinking at 41 special velocities . My favorite and most accurate boolit .

Order them with hollow points , cup points and/or flat solid point.
    Flat plain base or gas checked.
    Out of a revolver these two designs cover a lot of territory .

My avatar is a S&W model 58 in 41 Magnum that shoots these boolits very well.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

The Aresenal 41-220-RF is a good one. I don't have a 41 magnum rifle, so can't comment there. It works well in my 41 magnum S&W 57-1 4". The meplat is only 73%, so not a true WFN, and should cycle well.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 02-03-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Tom, at Accurate Molds offers a couple of Keith Type SWC's. A 210 grain and a 220 grain one. I just got one of them but have not cast anything with it yet. Its been my experience that a Keith Type SWC may have feeding problems in a lever action. You may want to go with a more rounded nose.

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    I have this mold but haven't cast any bullets with it yet. It comes highly recommended by some of the guys on the Single Action forum. You can get it gas checked and with the hollow point pins. It's not a Keith bullet but a good performer from what I'm told.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/41-...-multi-choice/
    I also have this mold and it is a very good bullet. I have been using the sm hp for deer hunting over 9gns of unique, and the flat point over 16.5gns of 2400. They are both very accurate.

Boolit Mold
    Just a quick newbie question. What happens if you do not put a gas check on a gas check design bullet and shoot it. Do you see accuracy issues?

Boolit Master
    On mold choice, I have to say go with one of the customs and save a bunch of cussing. I have multiples of several molds that were supposed to be “the” holy grail, under sized,oversized,nose and driving band variations, I don’t even look at molds built for the masses anymore.

No gas check on a bullet designed for one, I know there are a huge number of folks that swear they get good results. I just happen not to be one of them, and believe me I have tried.

You put a tire on a rim, and rings on a piston don’t ya?
    Imho gas checks just make it a bit easier to get good accuracy with less work.

Boolit Master
    If you go custom, consider the ones with hp pins. I have a miha and NOE and I can get 7 modified, or not, boolits from them. Solids, penta, hp, cup points. Now add to this you can PC or normal size and lube and it is like wow. I will likely get another NOE for the 237 grain keith with HP pins. While I have 5 normal 2 cav or one is a 4 cav mold ….I do not use them much any more. Those three give me 9-10 boolits to choose from the 3 basic molds