Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: The Lee 358-148 Wad Cutter Bullet And The Star Sizer

The Lee 358-148 Wad Cutter Bullet And The Star Sizer

Im looking at getting a .38 wad cutter bullet mould . The Lee 6 cavity moulds I have are great . Im wondering how the Star lube sizer does with this Lee 358-148 wad cutter bullet as it has 3 grease grooves. All my bullet moulds have a single grease groove, my Star .358 sizing die has a lot of holes it was a standard die and I only have one row of 3 holes open . I have lubed multi grease grove 8mm bullets on my Lyman lube sizer but not on the Star .

I like The SAECO #358 148 double end wad cutter 4 cavity mould also it has a single large grease groove which I think will lube great but its pricy I have some Proofmark cast bullets that look like them but with a smaller center lube groove

How many holes in rows on a Star die can be open vertically and get good results

Tests made over the last 4 decades show that the vast majority of wadcutters are more accurate when used with a single lube groove filled with lube. The groove in question is the bottom one.
    I see no reason that would not apply to the Lee version since it is so similar to others.
    So don't open any more holes before you try some of your wadcutters with just one groove filled. You may just love it.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC, haven't looked, the LEE mold is a clone of a Lyman or Ideal mold.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    I have worn out two of those molds over the last 10 years or so. I think it is the best wc mold going. I agree with Tazman on only lube the bottom groove. My test reveal the same results he has referenced. With very light loads, 20:1 alloy is slightly more accurate but coww plus tin is fine. All three of mine threw a .359/.360 as cast, so if your sizing to .358 don't wait more than a few days to size them as that small lube groove tends to close up.
    Tony

Banned
    Its a simple matter of measuring the distance between the lube grooves C-C on your Star sizing/lube die. Once this is done and you record the findings simply measure the distance C-C on lube grooves on the lee bullet. If they match up your in business. If not then you contact lathesmith and have him make you a custom sizing die like I do to accommodate your particular bullets.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 01-29-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Tests made over the last 4 decades show that the vast majority of wadcutters are more accurate when used with a single lube groove filled with lube. The groove in question is the bottom one.
    I see no reason that would not apply to the Lee version since it is so similar to others.
    So don't open any more holes before you try some of your wadcutters with just one groove filled. You may just love it.
    Never seen anyone just lube one groove but then I don't shoot many 38/357 wad cutters. I have a couple of 1lb coffee cans sized and lubed but that's about it. I have a magma 158gr SWC mold.

Boolit Master
    Seems to me that irregardless of star hole location, they fill well but some stem adjustments are needed.
    Thanks

Banned
    Its a given that when trying to size a different bullet height adjustments may be needed. My experience seems to indicate if the lube hole placement in the die is incorrect its not going to possibly fill the lube grooves or leak past the lube grooves. Since I don't use the Star/Magma sizing /lube dies with multiple holes I cannot accurately tell you if it will work with 100% certainly. I can tell you that if you choose to fill only the last lube groove like tazman suggested you can most certainly find a lube hole combination that will work with the correct punch height.

Moderator Emeritus

Keith,
    It's common practice to fill only the bottom lube groove on a WC boolit. Even if you are lubing the Lee with shallow lube grooves, if you use a quality lube, it's all you need...and as Tazman points out, it will likely be more accurate then with multiple grooves filled.
    Myself, I tumble lube WC's for 38 spl target loads.

I did a quick search, there are many threads talking about this subject, this one was the first on the list.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rs-what-a-pain
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I use a magma lubesizer to size and lube 3 grove 148 grain wad cutters in just the bottom grove or sometimes 1 & 1/2 of the groves with spillover. I find the sizer faster than tumble lube considering drying time . Just fill 2 rows of holes with shot and adjust the depth of the punch . Lube , heat , size , and pressure make a difference ..

Thanks for the adviceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee148Grwadcutters.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	256430 I got the Lee 6 cavity 358-148 mould and will lube the bottom groove only with red carnauba . I have one set of holes open on my star .358 die and will set it up with the top punch and that will work

I lubed some today with my Star sizer and some with my Lyman 4500 lube sizer with .358 dies on both, I set up the Star to lube the bottom only groove , There are small lube grooves on this Lee wad cutter bullet . No problems with the Star and it can do two grooves but it would not do three with my set up on the die which is having only the center three holes open and all the rest plugged with shot for the Lyman Round nose flat point 158gr Cowboy bullet , but I can drill out some of the lead shots and it would do all three lube groves if that's what you want . Then I would have to plug them for the Lyman Cowboy bullet or get a dedicated Star die for this Lee WC. The Lyman will do all three lube grooves or 2 or just 1 depending on the bullet depth adjustment but slower then the Star , so Im feeling "groovy" with this new Lee 358-148 6 cavity mould . It works great and very easy to use and it turns out a bunch of nice classic looking wad cutter bullets in no time at a very reasonable price . I loaded up some and there looking good

Boolit Master
    I don't think I can add another mold to my self, but something is calling on me out on this. Read another WC thread and my S&W M15 is just crying for a nice WC. No experience today, but that is gonna change. Thanks for posting!