Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Load data for a GC .44 Rem Mag

Load data for a GC .44 Rem Mag

Been looking around for load data to put behind a 225g LSW with a copper GC. Bin on the PB as best I can tell with the LEE tester is around 16 - 17.

Any suggestions?

Not looking to break any speed records, just something "middle of the road" for target that would still keep in mind a good simulation of over the counter vanilla FMJs.

Thanks in advance.

Trutrh
    I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei

Moderator Emeritus

I would use H110 data out of the Hodgdon manual...that should get you what you are looking for.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I had some "hard cast" 225 gr GC'd 44 bullets some years back and 8.5 gr Unique was a nice comfortable load. As I recall they ran 1000 fps +/- out of my 6 1/2" Ruger FTBH.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I recommend against H110 in this application. My experience indicates that the bullet is too light to cause H110 to build pressure and ignite properly. A medium load of Unique would be perfect. If you desire a hot load with this bullet, 2400 will get the job done with aplomb.

Alliant: https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...rs/index.aspx&
    Pistols and Revolvers
    44 Rem. Magnum
    225 gr cast SWC GC

Max loads, reduce 10% or more & work up (or just use Gibson's suggestion above).

OAL Powder Charge Velocity
    1.635 Unique 11 1,259
    1.635 2400 21 1,482

Banned
    You didn't say if this is a rifle or revolver.

Rifle data Lyman CB#4

revolver data

This will give you a good place to start

Moderator Emeritus

Conditor22,
    Thanks for posting those images.
    I forgot how big of a velocity difference there was between Revolver and Rifle with a Max load of H110 (and same boolit)
    1369fps and 1818fps
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    Original poster stated he wasn't interested in setting speed records. Hence, H110 wouldn't be my recommendation, since H110/296 is at it's best for higher end loadings. My recommendation would be 2400, since downloading isn't a problem. Plus it's more versatile for other cast calibers.

Winelover

Moderator Emeritus

I not gonna argue this, because the OP kind of gave us conflicting goals.

But I feel I now need to point out that the OP mentioned, "would still keep in mind a good simulation of over the counter vanilla FMJs" (assuming that means jacketed factory ammo loads). Also mentioned, they are using a GC boolit, that is cast from a 16 BHN alloy.

Since a GC isn't really needed, but does help when you get to jacketed factory ammo loads, I suggested what I would use...and that's H110, following Hodgdon's guidelines and applying a strong crimp, and a Mag primer if specified.

If they want "middle of the road for target", I'd suggest a plain base boolit, that is cast from a softer alloy like COWW ...and the powders/loads that all you other fellows suggested.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    I've been reloading for my 6" S&W M 29 since '67 Never found any meaningful difference between jacketed and cast 240 gr SWC (GC and no GC) with modest to hot loads of Unique/2400 (up to 1,475 fps) over normal primers. Never tried H-110 for anything less than full charges.
    Last edited by 1hole; 01-30-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Many thanks to all who offerd help.

For clarification:

Primarily for a Mod 629 w/ 6" bbl. Also shoot a Ruger Vaquero chambered in .44 mag., which is why I'm not looking for particularly hot loads... the trigger guard slams the middle finger like a hammer with loads much higher than a .44 spl. So much so, that it's no fun to shoot.

My reason for the inquiry was mainly because I was having trouble finding a lot of info on the "CAST 225g SWC", and the chart provided by Conditor22 was very helpful, as were all the posts.

Thanks again.

Truth
    I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei

Moderator Emeritus

I found some interesting Chrono info in regards to factory 44 Mag ammo.
    tests were with a 22" barreled Rem mod 788 (8 shot strings)

winchester super-X 240-gr SP: 1866 fps
    remington 240-gr SP: 1774 fps
    magtech 240-gr SJSP: 1606 fps
    hornady leverevolution 225-gr: 1759 fps
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 and RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 both have data for the
    225 gr. cast SWC with gas check for the 44 magnum .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    9.0 grains of Unique is what I use for just about all my 44 mag loads. The recoil from H110 is enough that about 5 rounds is all I want.

Lyman put out the 50th Edition manual that has load data for jacketed as well cast bullets. They also put out a Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition is the latest. It has load data for just cast bullets. They give loads for Lyman casrt as well as other popular cast from RCBS, Saeco and Lee.
    Lee's book has cast Data, not quite as bullet specific as Lyman or other sources, just by weight. On cast bullets the weight is the major factor in the loads. The gas check isn't really a factor as far as pressure goes. It just may factor in to amount of leading or accuracy, not as sure on that last bit. I drive plain cast as fast as I can jacketed with no loss of accuracy and no leading. Size is what matters for that.
    What I'm saying is if you find data for a 225 cast bullet if it has a gas check or not it can be used.
    I agree with others, for mid range loads Unique or something in that burning speed range will work well to get loads in the 1000 fps second range. For slower loads I might go faster, Like Bullseye or that burn speed. Faster velocity then go with a slower powder. 2400 will get you there. H110 will gain a bit of velocity with heavier bullets. Never tried with lighter.
    I tend to like heavier bullets in my 44's. 240 is about as light as I go. Shot tons of 429421's out of straight WW's with 8.5 grs of Unique. Some bullet with 21.5 grs of 2400 for a top load, I could load higher but recoils gets intense at those levels.
    Leo