RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Breachseating pp bullets ahead of case.

Boolit Master

Breachseating pp bullets ahead of case.

One for the brains trust

I have some 0.310" pp’ed bullets that if I breachseat firmly enough they will about 60 thou ahead of the chambers neck .
    Nicely seated in the tapered lead , engraved and capsulated.

But that is 200 thou ahead of the case mouth.

Leaving 200 thou of case neck outside diameter free bore.

How does one use 15-16 grains of powder in a 30 wcf . For a full load of fast powder.

If I use a filler like Dacron and a cardboard or even paper disk on the case mouth they will be still a couple of hundred thou short.

I know shutzen shooters do it with soft plain base lead bullets but they would have less pressure than
    a 1700 -1800 fps load.

I am thinking of chamber ringing from the effect of filler not being on the bullet base.

Any thoughts.

I don’t think I could get away with just the powder in the case un restrained.

A 200 thou scrunched up piece of grease proof paper behind the bullet before the case maybe.
    Or a wax wad somehow inserted?

I was playing around cos it was raining and I have a few hundred rounds of powder left in an old tin to use up.
    And now one batch of patched bullets lube from the extreme heat has softened.
    Making the outside wrap of patch to allow compression by a simple push tool.

Any thoughts experiences welcome.

They could just shoot fearsomely awesome.
    Or not at all.
    Cheers.

I really don’t want to ring the chamber.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-28-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Bruce, I really don't think you would damage the chamber if you load with something like a dacron fiber plug to retain the propellant as long as you are not using black powder. I do believe trouble would follow if you used something over powder which would form a piston but not be in contact with the bullet base as it would be analogous to an obstructed bore. Wads or fillers on top of smokless powder makes me very uncomfortable.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I was a pea of Kapok user but only over 14 of 4227. Some of the 32 Miller crowd was using Floral foam cut into thin sheet and pushed down over case mouth with thumb to install.

Boolit Master
    Thank you gentleman.
    I may stick to a pea size Dacron.
    I have fired thousands of loads using that technique no noticeable side effects but not in this application.

Others say it is the most sure way to ring a chamber.

Let us know how it works. You are an adventurous fellow.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I would also like to know. Got a 308 win I would like to try this in

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Bruce, I really don't think you would damage the chamber if you load with something like a dacron fiber plug to retain the propellant as long as you are not using black powder. I do believe trouble would follow if you used something over powder which would form a piston but not be in contact with the bullet base as it would be analogous to an obstructed bore. Wads or fillers on top of smokless powder makes me very uncomfortable.
    Years ago, I ruined a really nice Winchester XTR doing exactly that! Don't do it!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Taking all things in to consideration.

I think I’ll gut out of it.

I will try a cutting grease wad with the seater and placing it between the base of the bullet and case mouth thou. In the longer seating arrangement.

And

With seated with the base next to the case mouth using conventional methods of powder positioning.

Maybe I should just use a kicker charge of fast powder over a case full of real slow powder with a card wad on the mouth of the case.

Anyone ever tried dried used coffee grounds?

I could keep making up a handy supply.

How the mind wanders when you have an infected toe and there is nothing on the oogle box you can bring yourself to watch.

Have you considered Trail Boss?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    No I haven’t considered trail boss .

I don’t want to buy a whole heap to try either.

Maybe if I could get a small amount to try I would.

Seems or seemed to be the flavour of the month a few years ago.
    The people I know who have used it didn’t seem to get any great shakes in accuracy out of it.
    Then again they said things like.
    "It’s a slow powder"
    "If you compress it you can get 2000 fps out of it"

Ha not for me thanks

It's marginally slower than AS30N but a lot bulkier which makes powder position a non issue. More expensive too I think.

I did once try a breach seated boolit. I had a case with a damaged neck or something so I cut it back to behind the shoulder. I must have used a tuft of dacron to keep the powder in place. It fired Ok with no signs of abnormal pressure (it was a low pressure load) but - there was this big inward collapse at the case end! No gas leakage. I think I would want the base of the breach seated boolit within the case neck which wouldn't be a problem with an unsized neck given a slight flare.

Oh yes, there is a specific warning not to compress Trail Boss as dangerous pressure could result.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

303 Guy, The collapsed case neck is a symptom of insufficient pressure with a slow powder. Even a relatively fast powder like Reloader 7 in insufficient quantity will cause neck collapse and sooty cases.

If you had a 6.5 to shoot that far into the rifling, it might do it with their longer bullets. Try a lighter longer bullet to shoot in that lever gun, and hook up a little into the case. Zinc or copper, single shot.
    Or extend a PP to the case from a .300 bullet.