Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge "Economy RB" test with Mihec .680

Boolit Master
    Breakfast at 11?? Eggs and, what is that, cucumbers??

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    There is not much daylight this time of year in Finland. LOL
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Yep I wake up at 6 but only have coffee and water until 10-11. I don't know what that green was but it screamed.

I managed to test shoot some before dark,I had a hard alloy in the pot so these came out a little smaller than pure.

Petals survive the trip:

That 35 meter "group" is mostly my bad shooting in the dark. I will bench these of course when the weather permits.

Boolit Master
    Lubing the gun helped,i fired several five shot strings without problems yesterday.

Inertia...

Boolit Grand Master

Looking at your post #14 the wad petals look to be just shy of the top of the ball so when roll crimped it would appear that for the ball to be held tightly by the crimp the petals would have to be pushed back a bit. The crimps look great by the way!

One would figure that the wad petals would suffer at firing... or this "one" would anyway. However, in your post #23 above the petals on recovered wads look pretty much perfect and not mangled/wrinkled in any way. That makes a guy wonder! This guy anyway. Yes, I have experience the same thing and have little explanation. It looks at though the petals are going to do the crimp opening but they show little if any signs of doing so.

Is the hull thick enough that the RB hits the edge and rolls it open? Does gas blow by help? I don't know, I just know that it seems to work.

Great pics by the way!

I've got to get out to the range and shoot some slugs! The snow is melting fast now but we're headed for -12°C in the next few days, not much more snow I hope but colder weather. We hardly had any snow until after new years but then it snowed steady for days... weeks! We had about 3' of snow on the ground in Castlegar and record snow packs in the mountains! The range was a no go. Should be accessible now though.

You've got me all excited about getting out with slugs again!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    This load came together just like that,by itself. I'm really glad I got the mold "without really needing it". My 20 ball loads use a cork that I press in with a press,that whole step is missing from this 12 load.

K.I.S.S.

I only chose the closest felt wad that I found, I must have dozens of different cork and felt wads because all that little stuff has to be ordered from Italy,is cheap and only the freight costs... so I tend to order all kinds of wads "I might need one day". I do the same with other little things like NOE expanders,I always get extra.

This mold is a delight to cast with.

Winter came here last weekend,got some snow,now we have a cold week and Sun! Haven't seen much Sun for months,impossible to chrono a thing. Can't wait to see the velocity.

Boolit Master
    Almost got stuck with the car...

Got them chronoed, 1150 fps. Weather is -11°C,no wind,nice Sun.

Feels like spring already.

USMC 77, USRA 79

how nice and even those Alders and conifers are spaced? is that something you guys do on purpose??? ours are fighting for inches of space.. looks like somebody went in and thinned them?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Mold
    Yep, that's a "managed" spruce forest with some birch in it. Managed as in somewhat more of a forest / tree plantation rather than a fully wild one.

I'm most happy having found this thread, have dabbled a bit in reloading rifle and revolver cartridges but not shotshells (have lurked here for some time). I think something along these lines would be a good start. None of the reloaders I know IRL reload shotshells (the closest is a friend who got a Lee Load all but haven't used it once yet ) so very happy to find all the tips on this forum and this thread. Still at a loss as to what slug mold to get but will think of putting my late grandfathers roll crimp tools to work (he passed away right before the wall came down and used these to reload shotshells I think in the 1930s-1950s):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200204_194756.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the forum! And the insanity!

As you have probably read by now, slug loading/shooting is a bit of a mystery as to how to get consistent loading and accuracy mostly due to so many variables in shotshell loading. I also tend to think there is a bit of black magic involved in getting good consistent results!

Of course it also depends on whether you are shooting smoothbore... cylinder bore or choked as well or rifled gun/rifled choke tube. If smoothbore then either round ball or drag stabilized slug is required. In Europe there seems to be a much wider selection of Brenneke or Gualandi style drag stabilized slugs than in North America. Here the Foster was the most common slug until rifled barrels showed up and maybe Fosters are still the most common.

For home casting round ball or Foster slug moulds are common but now the Russian Svarog and similar moulds are available and those use special wads like Gualandi for drag stabilization.

Largely it depends on what gun/barrel you are planning to use and the purpose of the slugs (hunting, target, plinking). Commonly used are the Lee and Lyman wad slug moulds as they are readily available and use standard trap wads so no need for custom wad columns. Round balls that fit into shotcups are also easy to load and give quite good accuracy out to 50m or so from either smoothbore or rifled barrel. From what Petander says, it is hardly worth reloading as factory trap and hunting rounds are cheaper to use with slug subbed for shot.

Personally I like round balls and have had pretty good success with working up some good loads. Petander has done quite well with is round ball for shot subs in both 20 ga. and 12 ga.

Let us know what gun(s) you have and what you want to accomplish slug shooting and I am sure you will get lots of good advice.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Welcome,Scoo- I saw your PM and almost dropped my eyes: a Cast Boolit PM in finnish language?

Never happened before.

Anyway I'll get you started with some Mihec RB:s and pellet slugs to experiment with.

Boolit Mold
    Many thanks for the warm welcome! I shall not hijack this thread any more than I have already have but can state that the urge took hold and I have a Svarog Match (Lyman 525 / diabolo type mold) on its way. This mostly as the kit offer a range of nominal weights that would suit the stock I have and foresee to work with (will get a shotshell reloading press in the future).

Got an italian Fabarm STF12 pump last summer (coincidentally right before it was announced our national police selected these to replace ageing 870P:s), mostly because it comes with interchangeable chokes (improved cylinder by default) and I got a good deal on one (right about the same price as a 590A1 ten years ago here in Finland, sadly we're a small market and the importer who is the sole retailer only carry a small range of models). Have inherited 1950s O/U:s that I've only dared fire #4 buck in apart from birdshot, with the new pump I dare start exploring properly. Usage would be plinking apart from teaching the wife and kids the utility of a shotgun, my personal use would be 3gun and (literally translated) applied reservist shooting which is akin to IPSC but with more emphasis on service weapons and not so much "space guns".

I've also inherited a great deal of 1960s-1970s shotshells (trap & skeet, most is 32g or 1 1/8 oz) of which the older paper hulled ones work like a charm today, the then new plastic hulled ones have caused extraction problems in the pump due to the plastic having become brittle splitting along the length upon firing (not an issue in O/U:s with ejectors), some have started to split even before firing. I suppose I'll re-melt the shot in these and those that are fitted with the then new "Eley monowad" could have the wad put to use.

Boolit Master

Welcome and I like your choice of the lyman 525. Petander's Round Ball loads are simple and if the opportunity arises will no doubt be efective on game.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Greetings, I'm enjoying your post with great interest, thanks for sharing it.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    The American SlugShooting Association
    http://slugshooting.accountsupport.c...c61f2234aa8ca7

Boolit Master
    I really should get another bottom pourer for pure lead.

But which one? Nobody sells their old Pro Melts...

USMC 77, USRA 79

sooooo Mr. Petlander... what sort of machine are you referring to on the roll crimp process?? how about a pic or 2 of the machine and them nice looking crimps???
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    Greetings, here are the Lee bottom pour ones but I see the prices have all gone up.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ur+lead+melter

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    The American SlugShooting Association
    http://slugshooting.accountsupport.c...c61f2234aa8ca7

Boolit Master
    I'm not ready for a Lee pot at this age.

Scoo,my casting and shipping will be delayed,I caught this horrible flu/cold whatever and it's holding tight. Almost like in The Amazonas around 1990,completely out of game. Shaking,heavy joint pain,food goes through... fourth day now.

I have a stent and an a-fib heart condition so this combination is not exactly the most enjoyable. Gotta stay calm.

Boolit Mold
    Not a problem at all! Got today a parcel (delayed Christmas gift for myself) that contained amongst others an added Lee Load-All 2 and finally a stand for my powder dispenser. No more fiddling about when loading straight walled cases as has been the case with the dispenser tacked onto the press. Take care and get well.

Banned
    Greetings Petander, Praying for your speedy recovery, hope you recover and you need to brisk walk to keep your blood flowing ! !

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast