WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Miroku/Winchester 1885 sights needed

Boolit Buddy

Miroku/Winchester 1885 sights needed

Hello Friends! I am reaching out in semi-desperation. I bought a 24" traditional hunter in 45-70 this last fall, and want to use it for deer season this year. The problem is that the buckhorn sights are perhaps minute of deer, and I don't want to keep the scope mounted any longer than it takes to develop a load that the rifle really likes.

I would love to find a set of peep sights (factory marble's) or go to the Skinner sights.

Thank you all for any insight or parts you may have.
    Zingger

Its drilled and tapped for a tang sight I would go to MVA get a base and one of their sights. One base fits all of their vernier and soule sights. They have several options for a hunting sights. You will not get better sights for that rifle. Buy once cry once, the Beech front sight or the #115 would be the cats meow. I use their sights on any thing I can fit them on, hunting and long range. Kelly and Baldwin are good with limited options.

Boolit Master
    Depending upon what your average distance to your deer is in your area a full blown tang sight might be an expensive over kill. For out to 200 yards the much shorter and handier new versions of the folding Marbles tang sight might be what you need. I have one of the Williams 5D on my tang-less Browning 1885 .45-70 and it is very accurate and pretty much snag free here in the Georgia under brush. That having been said, if you plan to set up over wide meadows or clear cut areas the taller tang sight coupled with a rangefinder might be just the ticket.GF

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for your insight(s)! Does anyone happen to have a Marble's sitting around gathering dust? I have used Skinner sights in the past with great success and was looking that direction if a traditional didn't show up.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't get a tang sight, UNLESS the hunting situation dictated it. They are pretty delicate compared to a regular receiver sight, and like Gray fox said, under about 200 yards, just aren't needed. I'd get the Skinner, and learn where my loads hit out to 200, and go hunting. I might use a tang sight in conjunction with an open sight or a mid mount Marbles aperture, if I wanted two sight settings, or I might not, since I don't like the feel of the rifle with the tang folded down..JMO...
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Buddy
    Barrel mounted ladder sights will work. I had a Browning high wall that didnt have a tang and used a barrel mounted ladder sight. It worked great with a lyman globe on the front end.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all! I have a direction to head once the sight-in with scope is complete. For now it has a 3-9 for my load development, but there is something against shooting a single with a scope!

Boolit Master
    Unless it is a MVA. The long tubes look at home.

Smith Enterprise Long Range Rear Sight Marlin 1895 Steel Matte - If you have $175 to spend, this version made for 3/8" dovetail slot on a Marlin 1895 probably would work real well. And it's adjustable out to long distance. (Midway and many other places carry this)

But for general woods hunting, I'd get a replacement Marble adjustable leaf rear sight with a flat-top sight blade. If it's the buckhorn shape you don't like, that flat-top blade is much easier and quicker to use. Would be about $30. I've got a 1885 High Wall reproduction, and that works for me out to 200 yards.

Good luck, garrisonjoe