Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: I had a dud CCI Standard Velocity!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

I had a dud CCI Standard Velocity!!!!!!!!!

Next I suppose you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus.

In over 25 years of using these for NRA Bullseye, I have NEVER EVER EVER had a dud. This is the one and only rimfire ammo I can say that about. That's the very reason I settled on these so many years ago. I've NEVER needed an alibi with these. I am beyond flabbergasted.

In fact, it so threw me that I messed up, and couldn't get an alibi. According to the rules, you are supposed to freeze and put your non shooting hand up to call the RO so he can verify the alibi is legit. You are not supposed to touch the gun. I was so shocked I racked the action to see if somehow I didn't chamber a round. Dope!!! Had I left it alone it would have been the best possible conditions to shoot an alibi since it was the first round of the string. I wouldn't have had to throw out any shots.

Might as well switch to Thunderduds now...

Boolit Master

make a few million a day, every once in a while one is gonna slip through.

Boolit Master

I also shoot Bullseye. As a matter of fact. I just finished scoring our
    Last relay.

I had my first dud of the season myself!

I don’t remember the last one either.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I had on last week, bought two bricks, fired one box, one dud. Could not believe it, good strike by the firing pin, second strike on the opposite side did not fire either.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    I shot countless thousands of these over many years. I got some duds with them, but just statistically less than with some other name brand std vel ammo. Some of the really cheap stuff does it a lot more, but I never shot much of the cheap stuff because none of it ever shot as well as the better stuff....accuracy wise. I wouldn't be too surprised about getting a dud on a rare occasion. Sometimes you'll get one if your chamber isn't as clean as it should be. The round moves just a wee bit when hit and doesn't go off. It happens.

Boolit Master

I have no way of Monsignor if ya know what “Bullseye” entails. Most better bullseye shooters, shoot allot of ammo. Personally speaking, I go thro more than a case a season with my wife and while shooting two leagues and practice. (That’s MORE THAN 1 case a year.)
    I shot Remington STD thru the 1980’s with excellent results. Then some time in the early 1990’s it went to pot. Many many duds. We tried Winchester and Federal and ultimately, switched to CCI std Velocity and have been shooting it ever since. Had a foray into RCBS Tgt Rifle as well as CCI Green Tag. RWS prices skyrocketed and Green Tag dried up. I sold off two guns cause RES 25 was silly costly and CCI Short was “too heavy” for the mechanism of my Walther. My Olympic liked the CCI Shorts, but again they about tripled in cost from mid nineties till the time RF dried up.

A national match course is three targets or 30 total shots. A typical 900 match is three of those. In my case X2 twice a week then in summer again two weekends out of a month. It can be allot of ammo. Duds in a NRA Circe of Fire can seriously effect your score as there is provisions for only one per
    National Match course of fire. If ya get more your don’t if you cannot safely eject it and get remainder of your shots on target in remaining time.

Boolit Master

Yes I know what Bullseye entails. Our league shoots the NMC. I've shot a few 900 and 2700 matches. Clearly not as many as you, but yes I understand.

Boolit Master

I disrespect meant!!
    The written word leaves much to actual Conversation!!

I started back in 1986 Shot my first matches the following season 1987. Been hooked ever since. Been Officer in my own club and held President and V President seats in our State League. I even posted in the top 50 in the country couple years back in the 90’s!

I shot a 286/15 Last night. Kicked myself cause my dot flickered and died on #8 so my Rapid was only a 95 cause I dropped last two shots in white. FUN FUN!

CW

Boolit Grand Master
    Fond memories. Bullseye is where you learn to shoot a pistol accurately.

In Canada, you had yo be 21 to have a pistol. In my first year, I won a gold ring at the university range. You paid $.10 for a target to be shot for record. If you shot 10 targets that score 90 or better slow fire, you won the ring. I was the only winner that year

Some of the best .22’s I shot were from Poland, and half the price of CIL, or any of the American stuff. It grouped 1 1/2” at 50 yards for 50 shots. Eley was just over an inch. Using a HiStandard Military in a Ransom rest. The Polish ammunition came in a wooden crate of 10k rounds.

I took a lot of flack for using “commie” ammunition. Lol.

Back to topic...none of the cheap stuff made today is near the quality of what we had over 45 years ago. I will not pay over $5 a box to get “good” .22 ammunition for plinking. I feel sorry for Bullseye shooters today
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Next I suppose you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus.

In over 25 years of using these for NRA Bullseye, I have NEVER EVER EVER had a dud. This is the one and only rimfire ammo I can say that about. That's the very reason I settled on these so many years ago. I've NEVER needed an alibi with these. I am beyond flabbergasted.

In fact, it so threw me that I messed up, and couldn't get an alibi. According to the rules, you are supposed to freeze and put your non shooting hand up to call the RO so he can verify the alibi is legit. You are not supposed to touch the gun. I was so shocked I racked the action to see if somehow I didn't chamber a round. Dope!!! Had I left it alone it would have been the best possible conditions to shoot an alibi since it was the first round of the string. I wouldn't have had to throw out any shots.

Might as well switch to Thunderduds now...
    I feel pretty much the same as you about that brand of ammo.
    Had one fail to fire and upon carefully checking, I found a crust of burnt lead that found it's way under the rim to cushion the blow of the firing pin.
    After removal of the crust, the round, chambered and fired.
    Maybe same for you.
    Stuff happens!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I would have a misfire, I would raise the bolt lever to re-cock and fire again. Most of the time it would work. I wasn’t shooting competition, but maybe you would have gotten away with it.

Boolit Master

Not so lucky! I actually pulled the bullet, dumped the powder, and looked inside. Sure enough, the famous "horseshoe pattern" of priming compound, with my firing pin strike right where there was no priming!

Like others said, stuff happens. Hopefully I'll go another 25 before my next one...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Fond memories. Bullseye is where you learn to shoot a pistol accurately.

In Canada, you had yo be 21 to have a pistol. In my first year, I won a gold ring at the university range. You paid $.10 for a target to be shot for record. If you shot 10 targets that score 90 or better slow fire, you won the ring. I was the only winner that year

Some of the best .22’s I shot were from Poland, and half the price of CIL, or any of the American stuff. It grouped 1 1/2” at 50 yards for 50 shots. Eley was just over an inch. Using a HiStandard Military in a Ransom rest. The Polish ammunition came in a wooden crate of 10k rounds.

I took a lot of flack for using “commie” ammunition. Lol.

Back to topic...none of the cheap stuff made today is near the quality of what we had over 45 years ago. I will not pay over $5 a box to get “good” .22 ammunition for plinking. I feel sorry for Bullseye shooters today
    I had to look that up. Did it look like this :
    https://www.joesalter.com/category/p...Ammo-By-Nitron

I dont think that was "commie" ammo, although possible, but I'm guessing if it was then every other one would be a dud

I had one recently, too. First ever. Saving it as a museum piece. Now I see others reporting CCI duds and wonder whether CCI needs to review their priming process.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    I probably shot over 40-50 years without a dud, but in recent years plenty !!!!

Boolit Buddy

The only dud I ever had in the last 18 years of using CCI SV was in the NM portion of a 900 Sectional Match. A 14 shot alibi that cost me some points by me dropping the last 2 shots into the "9" ring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180502_073154.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	255942

For all interested in BE last Thursday night one of our Master shooters on our team shot a 297 NM course in rimfire at 50 feet. Those in the know will attest to how much more difficult the 50 foot targets are to get a HM score on.

2shot