Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Best way to slug a bore?

Boolit Buddy

Best way to slug a bore?

What is the best way to slug a bore, especially if you don't own a bunch of molds (yet)?

Cerrosafe?

Partially peen out a store-bought cast bullet and tap it gently into the bore via the throat?

Info on how to do this for lever actions is the most needed.

I've used sliding sinkers that can be found at any sporting goods store, a softer rubber mallet, and a wooden dowel. Measure from groove to groove in the bore taking care not to damage the muzzle in any way, then use that measurement to find a sliding sinker (oval or round is best) that is just slightly bigger than your muzzle measurement. The wooden dowel's diameter should be smaller than your measurement, and cut to 6 inch pieces. The reason for cutting the dowel is so that they won't flex/bend when tapping the sinker through the muzzle with the mallet. Tap the sinker through the muzzle all the way down through the chamber until it falls out. The depressed areas on the sinker will be your groove marks, and that will be the bullet diameter for that particular rifle. A little grease around the sinker helps with pushing the sinker in, but be sure to really clean the bore well afterwards.

Years ago I purchased two spools of lead wire intended to be used as fishing sinkers. The idea is that you cut off what you think you'll need with some dikes, then cut a slot or two in the wire and mash it onto your line. But it wasn't long that I found the lead to be great for slugging bores, as it's dead soft. So I cut off a piece from the spool closest to the bore diameter that I'm going to slug, then stand the piece on end and tap it with a small hammer. As it shortens it widens, and when I'm certain that it's bigger than the bore I'm going to slug I'm ready. I'm of the opinion that, for several reasons, it's better to slug the bore from the breech rather than the muzzle. One reason is that the throat of the chamber will guide the slug into the bore, and another is that if you miss the slug in pounding it into the bore from the muzzle you may miss the slug and ding the muzzle. I have a couple of steel WW II vintage barracks cleaning rods, solid one piece, that I usually use to drive the slug. If it is smaller than .30 cal. I favor a wooden dowel. They're inexpensive and obtainable at most hardware stores and lumber yards, so if one breaks I've got spares. Specifically addressing lever actions, it isn't that difficult to remove the bolt on most of them, usually remove a screw or two from the receiver, and to me the time spent in doing so is worth not having to drive a slug in from the muzzle. After all, you're only going to have to do this once per rifle, and while you've got the bolt out you can give everything a good cleaning.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    This information is most appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Andy

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a piece of 1/4" brass welding rod.....I have several lengths for various types of firearms. I won't use wood dowels, which can shatter and jamb in the barrel. I prefer to slug from the breech, but I have done many from the muzzle because it's easier. You can use steel rod, but if you do, wrap electrical tape around it to protect the bore.

The slugs themselves are not a problem for me, as I have pure lead and 35 different moulds to cast them with. By the way, the used slug can be re-used by squeezing it in a vice to increase the diameter. Lacking that, pour some melted pure lead into an oiled empty casing.

Clean the barrel and lightly oil it, tap the slug into the muzzle using a brass hammer, then use a bench vice (or an assistant) to hold the firearm steady. I never have an assistant handy, so I pad the firearm with a bath towel and drive the slug through the barrel. A micrometer is preferable for measuring the slug, but a vernier caliper can be used if that's all you have.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Don't bother slugging the bore and measure throat diameter instead, via either chamber cast or pound cast, and size bullets accordingly. You're welcome.

Boolit Grand Master
    Egg shaped fishing sinkers.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Read the sticky on bullet fit.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Titled "Cast Bullet Size". I'm glad it was made a sticky.
    Thanks!