Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Most Reliable Semi-Auto Pistol

Banned
    You went and did it.. another "Best-Most reliable" part in the title of the thread. You will now get 50-100 different answers on what peoples favorite pistol is. I'll answer this fast. There is no best most reliable pistol. All seem to have reputations for being good and or working and that is all you need. People buy according to the features they want on their particular hand gun. Some guns fit peoples hands better than others which prompts people to buy. Some people like a double stack magazine and others favor a single stack. Some like a hammer less model and others don't.

Its all just as simple as you buy what you want what fits your particular needs and that is it. You really don't need someone telling you a Glock 17 is best or a 1911 is best. Just audition the guns (most good shops have guns you can rent so you can try out what your interested in) and make up your own mind based on the features you deem to be important to you. ....my opinion.

Banned

I have a Ruger SR1911 I bought new in late 2012 that I have 10,500 rounds through without so much as a hiccup! The most reliable 1911 I have ever owned!

Boolit Grand Master

There are a lot of reliable semi auto pistol available today. Most of my 1911's run reliably. My Sig's run flawlessly. My Glock has been 100% reliable. I probably had the only Browning HiPower in existence that was not reliable. My S&W M-59 was not dependable.

My carry and beside pistol is a Glock. Its not as much fun to shoot as my 1911's.

Glock is definitely well known for being very reliable. I only own one (G20) and it hasnt had a hiccup for the ~2000 rounds that have gone through it. Thats not a lot of rounds but I still trust it because of their reputation.

The only semi-auto I have had trouble with that wasnt ammo or magazine related was a Sig 320 in .45. Not my gun. But a coworker had me look at it after two trips back to Sig for warranty and a trip to the local "gunsmith". Turned out to be the extractor was waaaaay too tight. Seems like a bit of a fluke for the 320s though with how many are out there in the wild running perfectly fine with no issues.

I also have an ongoing experiment with the red-headed stepchild of my gunsafe. The S&W Sigma SW40VE. For about 10 years I have only cleaned the barrel/bore and added more oil/grease after each range trip. Its a sludge-fest inside of that gun and it just keeps running. Its fired over 10k rounds like this. I also have a 9mm upper for it that feeds fine using the .40 mags and it eats everything off of its plate every time it gets loaded.

In my opinion almost any newly manufactured semi-auto based on a proven design will be reliable.
    There can always be problems based on a manufacturing defect or possibly a new type of design but I believe those to be a fairly small percentage based on the total number of firearms being produced each year.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know that it is the best but my Sig 1911 never skipped a beat
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Pistols preference is a more personal choice as to how it fits the hand, operates (safety features, etc.), and pleases the eye than just reliability. Reliability is a prime concern, however, especially to those among us whose lives depend on their operating every time they are put into use. While I'll put reliability over "personality" in pistols I expect to protect me and my family (and friends), I prefer pistols that "feel" at home in my hand and are an extension of my senses. While the Glock has become one of the most used pistols for most law enforcement agencies (large and small), I believe most of their popularity is because they are the simplest to use and train others to shoot. Be advised that most police departments do employ an "armorer" to maintain their firearms and send many of their officers to Glock training courses; none-the-less, the Glock pistol is probably among the top 10 most reliable pistols on the market today.
    I personally prefer the CZ75B or CZP07 for additional safety features and handling qualities. CZ pistols did pass the rigid NATO tests for reliability and function where only a few manufactures would subject their products. Until the Glock 4 series came out I felt the Glock handled like a "brick", in my hand at least; plus, I did not like the idea of only having a small tab as the only safety devise and my trigger finger holstering a pistol already "half cocked" with a round in the chamber! (The Springfield XD, at least, has an additional grip safety to prevent accidental discharges!). Before I get hate mail from all the law enforcement folks who have been indoctrinated on Glocks (my indoc was with 1911's), understand I'll concede that your choice is valid if that's your "Huckleberry". We are very fortunate to have many pistols on the market to chose from that are just as reliable as the Glock, while satisfying the shooter and collector. My .02

Boolit Buddy

What Kaiser said +1.

Boolit Grand Master

I carry a Shield or M&P most of the time but laugh if you want. The only semi I've never had jam with anything is a HiPoint.

Truth be told, any semi from a major manu like Glock, SW, Sig, Tanfaglio, CZ etc will and should work for you. The only one I ever gave up on were 2 Kel Tec's
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    Have owned & carried many S&W 39 & variations for years, but am seeing that Glock now seems to be most preferred. Have tried and just do not care for many of the Colt based 45acp semies. Is Glock best choice?
    I love Glocks, but the .45 acp versions are pretty big in the grip while the S&W M&P series feel better, as do the XD series. Both are absolutely reliable. It all comes down to what fits your hand the best.

If you are talking 9mm, then the Glocks are wonderful, especially the Gen 5 models with no finger grooves and adjustable backstraps. Most folks who complain about Glocks feeling like a brick haven't handled one in 30 years. Unless they are talking about the .45 and 10mm versions; those are still pretty fat.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

As kaiser stated Glock is one of the most use LE pistols in the nation. One reason (beside being reliable, easy to shoot and repair) is because Glock gives them to LE departments at a very attractive cost. Most departments have armorers that maintain duty & off duty firearms. And almost every department has a very short list of approved duty & off duty firearms. It only makes sense from economic and training perspectives to limit choices to a few pistols. Imagine if the armorers had to stock parts for several manufacturer’s pistols and get certified to repair all of them.
    Over 90% of the LE officers I talk to carry Glocks because that is their only option.

Banned

Don't tell my glocks that. Ive shot well over a 100k through glocks 99 percent of it cast. that's said are they the best? Cant answer that. Id say its a toss up between glocks and M&Ps and the new sigs for reliability. There all good as are a few others like berretta storms, rugers ect. in my opinion if you have to put one on top its the old steel sigs. I have more glocks then any other but im close in M&Ps and especially with the 2.0 versions with there better trigger and the fact they feel better in my hand then a glock they are probably the best bang for the buck in a black gun at least for me. Best bang for the buck in a black gun at my house was a new 9mm shield for 225 bucks from psa and a glock 22 police trade in with night sights that was like new for 300 bucks with 4 glock mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't like Glock's. I think a Glock puts cast bullet shooters at a disadvantage. But nobody would ever question the reliability of Glock handguns.

Groo here
    If you treat and feed them correctly most modern autos work well.
    You will get a ruff one out of the factory once in a while but for the most part they work.
    The biggest problem is the ammo.[ 9mm mostly]
    The further away from standard , the worse it gets.
    More modern rounds seem to hold standard better [aka non millitary rounds]
    The only mill spec round that holds is 45acp [specs carved in stone] and the russian rounds .

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I love Glocks, but the .45 acp versions are pretty big in the grip while the S&W M&P series feel better, as do the XD series. Both are absolutely reliable. It all comes down to what fits your hand the best.

If you are talking 9mm, then the Glocks are wonderful, especially the Gen 5 models with no finger grooves and adjustable backstraps. Most folks who complain about Glocks feeling like a brick haven't handled one in 30 years. Unless they are talking about the .45 and 10mm versions; those are still pretty fat.
    I was that person for a long time. I handled a few when they first became available and hated the feel. I never touched one again until about a year ago.
    I must say the the new versions are much better than the originals. They also have a reputation for both accuracy and reliability.
    I still don't like the grip angle but I could get used to it fairly quickly. I just have too much invested in the pistols I currently own to replace them with Glocks.

I have fired almost 10,000 various reloads through my 69C Hi Power with neither a failure to load or fire. How is that for reliability?
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

I've only owned 2 pistols that I can say were totally reliable with any load or bullet shape and staked my life on when I was a young LEO first was a Ruger P90 in 45 that thing was a tank and would feed empty brass hand cycling it from the mag . The other was a Glock 19
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus

I'm gonna say I am the "Best-Most reliable" person to comment on which semi-auto handgun is "Best-Most reliable" ...LOL

Ok, I just had a George Herter's moment, please forgive me.

From the early 1990s until now, I've owned many different brands and models of semi-auto handguns. CZ, Ruger, 1911, Magnum Research, Taurus PT24/7, S&W, Browning, Sig, Hi-Point, AMT Auto-Mag, Glock, Springfield, ect...ect.
    Yeah, I am pretty sure I am not alone in this claim, and others may well have much more experience than me.
    With that said, The Ruger P-series guns seemed the "Best-Most reliable" out of the box, in regards to all aspects, but most especially for not being picky about ammo projectile types...which seems to be the Achilles Heel of most semi-auto handguns.
    I've sold all my Ruger P-series handguns that I had owned, one of which I used in a pistol league, when I was downsizing. But after a year or so after that auction, Ruger came out with a model 9e, it was so reasonably priced and looked and felt the same as the P-series guns, so I bought one...and it is like all the P-series guns I previously owned, "Best-Most reliable" !!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I once had a m1921/m400 Astra that would fire 9mm Largo, 9mm Luger, and .380 mixed in the magazine reliably until I replaced the tired recoil spring. I bushed the chamber for 9mm Luger and carried on. My Marine nephew owns it now and it’s still accurate and runs through jhp like it was made for them. I don’t recall ever seeing that tubular wonder pistol jam!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'm gonna say I am the "Best-Most reliable" person to comment on which semi-auto handgun is "Best-Most reliable" ...LOL

Ok, I just had a George Herter's moment, please forgive me.

From the early 1990s until now, I've owned many different brands and models of semi-auto handguns. CZ, Ruger, 1911, Magnum Research, Taurus PT24/7, S&W, Browning, Sig, Hi-Point, AMT Auto-Mag, Glock, Springfield, ect...ect.
    Yeah, I am pretty sure I am not alone in this claim, and others may well have much more experience than me.
    With that said, The Ruger P-series guns seemed the "Best-Most reliable" out of the box, in regards to all aspects, but most especially for not being picky about ammo projectile types...which seems to be the Achilles Heel of most semi-auto handguns.
    I've sold all my Ruger P-series handguns that I had owned, one of which I used in a pistol league, when I was downsizing. But after a year or so after that auction, Ruger came out with a model 9e, it was so reasonably priced and looked and felt the same as the P-series guns, so I bought one...and it is like all the P-series guns I previously owned, "Best-Most reliable" !!!
    You know, I'd forgotten my first Semi Auto which was Ruger P-85. Bought used, it rattled, wasn't that accurate (or I wasn't, I prefer to blame it on the pistol) and never jammed on anything from commercial stuff to steel Russian junk. Great pistol.
    Cops in a local small town went from a GP100 to a P-90 maybe?, P series anyways to probably a Glock by now. Boy, sure wish I had that GP100 back.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-29-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I think that all the opinions above have some reason, it is good to comment on weapons that one owns and uses. Before repeating what is read on the network.
    I own a G17 that buys it for a business opportunity. When I used it, I fell in love with it, until it was the most reliable weapon I have today. I also have her Austrian cousin, the Steyr M9, but I haven't fired as many shots with her as with the G17.
    Before them, I have had and used a Browning HP35, and I have to say that it has shot well everything I have put in the mag.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Ruger P-90 in .45, has never failed to fire, will gobble up any ammo it seems like! Mixed up in the mag, hardball, cast , hollow point it will feed and fire, and eject!! Just my opinion
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast