MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataPBcastcoInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Most Reliable Semi-Auto Pistol

Best Most Reliable Semi-Auto Pistol

Have owned & carried many S&W 39 & variations for years, but am seeing that Glock now seems to be most preferred. Have tried and just do not care for many of the Colt based 45acp semies. Is Glock best choice?

They always go bang when I pull the trigger. Not the prettiest, but they work, work work.

I spent some time trying to make a very low recoil round for a Glock and it took some effort to get a round that would not cycle the Glock 19X. If your rounds are made with published loads and they are the correct shape, they will work.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't like Glock's. I think a Glock puts cast bullet shooters at a disadvantage. But nobody would ever question the reliability of Glock handguns.

Boolit Buddy
    SIG-Enough said!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

I used to say I would never own a glock , well I put aside preconceived ides and bought a 9mm , and the rest have just grown since then , I own 1911 I see little to no difference in handling and shooting , I use wheelguns single and double action and they all seem to fit . Glock puts no cast shooter to a disadvantage , I use cast exclusively , there are some jacketed bullets in this house but all I shoot is cast from all semi auto or wheelguns , My glocks do not know the difference nor do they care , go check out the semi auto selection at your local store and see how they feel , buy what feels right for you and use your own expertise when selecting what make model or caliber .

I have 9mm 40s&w 45gap and 45acp in glocks and as a reliable firearm that shoots cast they work fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can afford anything and carry a Glock. It is tge most reliable semi-auto I have ever owned.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Glocks are reliable, fairly rust resistant, and homely enough to where I don’t worry about sweating on one when I carry in hot weather.

Boolit Master
    I got rid of all of my Glocks, but they would go bang every time I pulled the trigger.

When I got my CZ 75 SP 01 settled down to my handloads I can say the same thing about it.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not think anyone really knows what the “most reliable” semi automatic pistol is.

There is opinion, there is the manufacturer’s word for it, and there is reality. Hard to separate them sometimes.

I will observe I have a number of pretty reliable makes of auto pistols. But all are subject to breakage eventually or user error, so reliability is relative to that no matter who makes it.

Boolit Master
    browning hi power seems to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    Have owned & carried many S&W 39 & variations for years, but am seeing that Glock now seems to be most preferred. Have tried and just do not care for many of the Colt based 45acp semies. Is Glock best choice?
    There is more to consider than just a name. The grip angle is somewhat different between the S&W and the Glock. There are many other very reliable guns out there.
    I own a couple of Springfield XDm series pistols. As long as I am shooting factory ammunition or jacketed reloads, they have never failed. The only time I had issues was with some old reloads made for a pistol with a large chamber. The tighter chambers didn't like them.
    When I used cast reloads that were sized for the XDm chamber, no failures with any nose shape or powder charge.
    There is a published video that was on the XDm site that showed an XDm 10mm pistol go through 10,000 rounds just to see if the pistol would hold up. It did with no failures.
    I would call that very reliable.
    I find my XDm pistols to be as accurate as any handgun I shoot with the possible exception of mt S&W K frame Target Masterpiece.

Boolit Master
    XD Tactical .45 and S&W Shield 9mm put slugs down the barrel every time I pull the trigger.

Boolit Master
    Every Glock I owned has been ultra reliable. My M&P S&W 45 is just as good. I can't remember any of them jamming, failing to feed, etc.
    East Tennessee

My Glocks seem to be very corrosion resistant. I have never had one fail to fire. They seem accurate enough and are very easy to work on. I wish that I like them more.

Boolit Master
    I have carried and shot a browning h-p for the last 15 years with no problems at all.

Boolit Master
    yugo M57 tokarev works every time, has a colt 1903 based design, so much like a 1911, inexpensive, quality made, and indestructable. also shoots thru just about anything.

Boolit Master
    i would go with the venerable 1911 military issue type semi-auto pistols. The pistols outlasted all of the other semi's with the longest service life. The Tokarevs are a close second too. Interestingly enough after watching numerous videos of people abusing HiPoint semi-auto pistols, I would say that those ought to rank up there high on the list of reliable pistols too.

Boolit Master
    As long as you are picking something from the "big three" kind of deal with polymer frame gun, you are almost always going to have a very solid, reliable gun. Glock, S&W, Springfield, etc. Yes there are lots more to chose from especially if you include metallic frames. A good frame of reference is what guns are commonly used by military and police. The Glock us a keystone figure in it all, you really can't argue with their product, their reputation needs no explanation. The M&P series is of equal terms. It and many others haven't been around as long but again, their service history needs no explanation.The same can be said for other companies so it really can be boiled down to what attributes are most desirable to you. Me personally, I like the M&P's more. The grip angle & shape feel better to me and the trigger is better, excellent with an Apex in it. Just a more svelte gun. They are tough as hell, I turn an M&P 9L Performance Center into a USPSA race gun that I used for about 4 years shooting very hot 9mm. This gun was pushed far beyond its designed usage. Rental Glocks at ranges have found a Glock slide lasts about 30,000rd average before they crack. Thats a ton of ammo, far more than most would ever shoot. My M&P took about 50,000rds of crazy hot ammo before it cracked. Then I Tig welded it and shot it till the barrel was shot out, adding another 15,000-20,000 on it. Way beyond the intended usage. Solid, tough guns. Ive also been very impressed with the Canik TP9 family of guns. They are affordably priced and really solid guns right out the box. They do offer some higher end versions too. I had a basic SF model that had 7000-10,000rds on. Currently my SFX has been my Production class gun, now Carry Optics, it has about 25,000rds on it. The TP9's have probably the BEST box stock triggers and with a light clean & polish they are really good!

Really any big reputable brand these days has something that fills the bill. Do a little research on your considered choices and pick something that has been around for a while.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Ruger P series; my favorite is my P97 .45 ACP.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is amazing there are so many reliable semi automatic pistols available. I remember many old timers saying they would never carry one as the revolver was more reliable.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast