Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereRotoMetals2

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Need loads for 44 Special

  1. #1
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    245

    Need loads for 44 Special

    Starting to work up some loads for the 44 Special to be used in my Ruger Bisley Flat Top. I will be loading a 200 Gr Laser Cast. Looking for around 900 fps using both Tite Group and Unique. I really need to get some new reloading manuals. Any info would be appreciated'

    Art

  2. #2
    Boolit Grand Master Outpost75's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Posts
    8,027
    I recently had Larry Gibson pressure-test a load for me, for a full-charge load with Bullseye powder and Accurate 43-206H

    Attachment 255400

    Depending upon barrel length and cylinder gap 6 grains of Alliant Bullseye is very close to what you want, within reasonable safe pressures and is a very accurate and satisfactory load. Hopefully Larry can chime in with the specific test data. With TiteGroup I would start at 5 grains and work up to approach 6 grains for similar results.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master Boogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Ar.
    Posts
    524
    Hodgdons online data shows 4,5gr,start to 5.4 gr, of Titegroup with a 200gr, cast bullet
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master

    stubshaft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southernmost State of the Union
    Posts
    4,329
    Skeeters load of 7.5 Unique gives me 905 fps and good accuracy out of my Lipsey.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44ft2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	255433
    Without the dark night, you would never see the bright stars...

    You can live forever if you give up all of the things that make it worthwhile.

    Why a .45...Because they don't make a .46!

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Saratoga N.Y.
    Posts
    518
    unique start at 7gr mine likes 7.9 with lee 214gr

  6. #6
    Boolit Master Thumbcocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,892
    Love those grips.
    You'll go far providin' you ain't burnt alive or scalped."

    Will Geer as Bear Claw in "Jeramiah Johnson"

  7. #7
    Boolit Grand Master


    Larry Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, Arizona
    Posts
    18,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I recently had Larry Gibson pressure-test a load for me, for a full-charge load with Bullseye powder and Accurate 43-206H

    Attachment 255400

    Depending upon barrel length and cylinder gap 6 grains of Alliant Bullseye is very close to what you want, within reasonable safe pressures and is a very accurate and satisfactory load. Hopefully Larry can chime in with the specific test data. With TiteGroup I would start at 5 grains and work up to approach 6 grains for similar results.
    As outpost 75 says the 6 gr Bullseye load under the 43-206H or under the Lee 429-200-RF has proven to be an excellent load in the 44 SPL. The pressure (pressure measured via an Oehler M43 and Contender test barrel) will run right at 14,000 psi +/-. The velocity range will be close to what you want in your revolver and accuracy should prove excellent. TiteGroup is close to Bullseye in burn rate and the 5 - 6 range Outpost75 mentions is what I would try also.

    While Unique will get the 200 gr bullet out of the barrel at the low velocity you want the pressure will be very low and it will not obturate the cases to seal the chambers. Resulting in not the best accuracy and a dirty burn. Just not enough bullet mass with the 200 gr bullets. As stubshaft mentions it is an excellent choice for use with 240 - 255 gr "Keith" type cast bullets.

    Lastly; if the 200 gr hardcast commercial Laser Cast bullets give you leading simple TL them with a light coat of LLA, let dry thoroughly and then load them. I have shot thousands of Laser Cast bullets in various cartridges including their 200 gr 44 bullets with negligible or no leading when the bullets have been lubed with LLA.
    Larry Gibson

    “Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

  8. #8
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As outpost 75 says the 6 gr Bullseye load under the 43-206H or under the Lee 429-200-RF has proven to be an excellent load in the 44 SPL. The pressure (pressure measured via an Oehler M43 and Contender test barrel) will run right at 14,000 psi +/-. The velocity range will be close to what you want in your revolver and accuracy should prove excellent. TiteGroup is close to Bullseye in burn rate and the 5 - 6 range Outpost75 mentions is what I would try also.

    While Unique will get the 200 gr bullet out of the barrel at the low velocity you want the pressure will be very low and it will not obturate the cases to seal the chambers. Resulting in not the best accuracy and a dirty burn. Just not enough bullet mass with the 200 gr bullets. As stubshaft mentions it is an excellent choice for use with 240 - 255 gr "Keith" type cast bullets.

    Lastly; if the 200 gr hardcast commercial Laser Cast bullets give you leading simple TL them with a light coat of LLA, let dry thoroughly and then load them. I have shot thousands of Laser Cast bullets in various cartridges including their 200 gr 44 bullets with negligible or no leading when the bullets have been lubed with LLA.
    Going to show my ignorance Larry. What is LLA? Also, thank you for the info.

    Art

  9. #9
    Boolit Grand Master Outpost75's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Posts
    8,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Going to show my ignorance Larry. What is LLA? Also, thank you for the info.

    Art
    I'm not Larry, but Lee Liquid Alox.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    rintinglen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Orange, VA NOW
    Posts
    4,692
    +1pn the Lee Liquid alox advice. I was having grief with leading from store bought hard-cast boolits leading, but a light coating of LLA or 45/45/10 liquid made leading history for me. I would use Red Dot or promo, with the same 5.0-6.0 grain range as suggested for the Bullseye, and Titegroup loads above. Be prepared for excellent accuracy if you choose any of them.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    641
    I do the same exact thing with Laser Cast bullets and LLA. Works beautifully.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    797
    I've used 6 gr. Bullseye with the 200 grain SAECO flat nose. Good load and reasonably accurate, but I've found 7.5 grs. Herco to be slightly more accurate though muzzle velocity is a little less.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check