RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Nikon out of rifle scope business???

Boolit Master

Nikon out of rifle scope business???

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/ge...e-riflescopes/

I’d seen this a few times on the internets but figured when it makes outdoor life it’s probably true.

Boolit Master
    That’s actually very sad. Been a huge fan of their optics for years but I guess I’ll have to be happy with what B&L and now Nikon scopes I can find in the used sector.

Boolit Master

I heard the same. Sad because I am huge fan of the prostaff

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I bought two scopes for my Ar's. 3x9 for the HBAR and 1x3 for the carbine. Both were made in the Phillipines. Wanted to see if I could shoot better with optics rather than the irons. In reading the article that was linked it seems Nikon is abandoning the whole hunting optic line entirely. The other Nikon scope I have a 8.5x20 I had on my 40x in 308. Good optics and have had the scope for close to 25 years. I don't consider Nikon to be a low end scope manufacturer Way up in the middle at least. Then you start getting onto the high dollar like Leupold, IOR valdada, Some of the german made scopes. When I see 3-4 thousand dollar prices just for scopes more power to them but the money surely won't becoming from me. Now if someone said that they are bringing back Unertl scopes, now that would peak my interest. But that ain't gonna happen they would be so expensive no one could afford them. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I think Nikon is more of a middle level scope manufacturer and there are a ton of scopes in that category now. I'm a big fan of Nikon and most of my hunting rifles wear them. Sad to see them go. Now would be a good time to get them on clearance as I've seen some very good sales on Nikons.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

The shotgun slug scopes are the best I've found and very reasonable.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Cast Hunter

If you read the article, it appears their decision was anti-gun/anti-hunting based.

“The Nikon contraction is completely about internal politics rather than consumer preference. They are trying to expand binocular sales in Europe and association with guns causes problems in some types of shops over there. Additionally, there is just no domestic—as in Japanese domestic—support for being a part of the blood sports.” ... “We were told to remove any hero shots of hunters with their products,” says the former marketer.

“We always heard that Nikon stayed in the sports optics market because the margins were so high they couldn’t afford not to"

That last sentence tells me it wasn't a financial decision. Disappointing. If that is their reasoning then good riddance.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

There's a ton of other manufacturers who will gladly fill the void.

Boolit Master

Been very impressed repeatedly with Vortex optics and their mid level glass is amazing and their top shelf ones are grand!
    Last edited by nagantguy; 01-29-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have over a dozen and a half of them and are my favorite optic! Best,brightest, and clearest glass for the money! ...p’s me off to no extent!

I’ll probably have to switch over to Vortex. I’ve looked through a few of those that are pretty nice to and are about the same price range. It’s too bad my cheapest prostaff Nikons are brighter, crisper, and clearer than a couple of the Leupold mark 4 optics I paid over 1600 bucks for it! I have quite a few monarchs as well that are phenomenal.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Been very impressed repeatedly with Votec optics and their mid level glass is amazing and their top shelf ones are grand!
    I have mostly Leupold rifle scopes, but have a couple of Vortex binos. I am very impressed with the Vortex clarity (Diamondback series).
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    So, how about that "lifetime guarantee"?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    So, how about that "lifetime guarantee"?
    My question as well. I have four Nikons would have purchased more if I hadn't heard about this development.
    Maineboy

Boolit Buddy
    I contacted them when this story broke and was told that they intend to honor their lifetime warranty. Only time will tell but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Have used several of the 3 - 9 X 40 and 2.5 - 10 X 40 scopes and really hate to see them drop out of the market.

Boolit Buddy
    Bye Felicia.

I've owned two of their ProStaff optics. Both were junk...Crappy tracking and wandering zeros on both. Replaced them with Vortex and now I'm livin' my best life.

This is a good decision for them. They should stick to what they know...Amateur-grade DSLRs and budget birder binos.

Boolit Master
    Whenever a product maker drops a line for political or economic reasons it is a sad day. All this reminds me of when the original Redfield scopes went away. I was a fan and still am, still take in the older Redfield scopes (but not the current "name only" line) when they are available. Sure, there is no factory repair service, but service can be bought if needed.

Boolit Master
    Isn't Japan the only country that still hunts whales?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Isn't Japan the only country that still hunts whales?
    For research that's all research...

Have one Nikon scope. Ancient Japan made 2-7x32 sitting on a Ruger 77/22 for decades. FOV is tight, nice color, clear good squirrel gun. Budget Vortex or Swift for the other rimfires, Leupold for everything else.

Pretty sure Leupold won't go PC, may end up moving out of Oregon one day though.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Their quality control was really slipping. I sent one scope in recently that had the turrets installed backwards.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    prostaff shotgun 2-7-32 on my 45-70 my favorite scope very bright and clear .same if they are quiting for pc reasons