RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Forever 21 isn't a store

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Forever 21 isn't a store

My cousin Georgie was KIA 51 years ago today. Every time memorial day or veterans day rolls around I can't help become slightly melancholy. My Uncle Jim, Georgie and my sister in law's nephew Alex Viola paid so dearly for this republic.

Attachment 255564

BERNARD GEORGE PURVIS
    Wall Name:BERNARD G PURVIS
    Date of Birth: 4/29/1948
    Date of Casualty: 1/27/1969
    Home of Record: NORFOLK
    County of Record: ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY
    State: NY
    Branch of Service: MARINE CORPS
    Panel/Row:33W, 4
    Casualty Province: QUANG NAM
    Awarded posthumously for actions during the Vietnam WarThe President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Lance Corporal Bernard G. Purvis (MCSN: 2391296), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a Squad Leader with Company A, First Battalion, Third Marines, THIRD Marine Division in connection with operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam. On 29 January 1969, Lance Corporal Purvis' squad was participating in a combat patrol near An Hoa in Quang Nam Province when the Marines came under a heavy volume of hostile fire delivered by a well-concealed enemy force. Reacting instantly, he skillfully deployed his men into effective fighting positions and unhesitatingly led an aggressive assault against the hostile unit. Completely disregarding his own safety, he repeatedly exposed himself to the intense enemy fire as he fearlessly moved about the hazardous area, shouting words of encouragement to his men and directing their accurate fire upon the hostile emplacements until he was mortally wounded. His outstanding leadership and aggressive fighting spirit inspired all who observed him and were instrumental in the subsequent defeat of the enemy. By his courage, bold initiative and unfaltering devotion to duty, Lance Corporal Purvis contributed significantly to the accomplishment of his unit's mission and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Sobering to read. I thank you for your family's service and sacrifice.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Wow! That is a very inspiring write up on your cousin George, and his combat actions. I am thankful that his brave service was noted. I am saddened that it happened to him and so many like him. He was a handsome and brave boy who made the ultimate sacrifice for us. Words are not adequate for his sacrifice.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Wow! That is a very inspiring write up on your cousin George, and his combat actions. I am thankful that his brave service was noted. I am saddened that it happened to him and so many like him. He was a handsome and brave boy who made the ultimate sacrifice for us. Words are not adequate for his sacrifice.
    So true. Words cannot express what someone feels when another gives all. My nephew is in the Marine reserves and is a Police Officer. Some folks are willing to be a shield or sword. God bless.

Boolit Master
    What a man. What a Marine. Well done.

Boolit Mold
    An outstanding young man. SEMPER FI Marine

Boolit Buddy

As a veteran that had the luxury of serving during peace times I feel for all my brothers and sisters who have gone on before me and well after me that gave their all to insure the protection of this Great Nation and the protection to those who could not help themselves when help was needed. Thank you for sharing this with us you should be very proud of your family members.
    There is a great song written by Tom T. Hall called " A hero from Harlan " that makes me teary eyed Everytime I listen to it. The last verse say " They fold up the Stars and Stripes for his mother and gently they trade Her a flag for a son. No harder exchange ever took place in Harlan but it's not the first time its ever be done".
    God Bless
    Last edited by Kylongrifle32; 01-28-2020 at 03:17 PM.

A fine tribute to a genuine American hero.

Boolit Master

Nice tribute to your cousin. I know several fellow Marines and others whose names are on the Wall. A sad place to visit, I got all choked up when I went there.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master
    Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy

Outstanding Marine