Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buckhorn rear sight or receiver mounted peep sight?

I've got 2 with receiver sights, and one with open sights.
    Buckhorns or even semi buckhorns are pretty imprecise to my eyes. My 32-20 has had the top of the rear sight filed flat across the top and then had the U filed out to a square notch, similar to a handgun patridge style sight. That works for me.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master
    I vote for the Lyman sight you desire. I have mostly Williams peeps. I have receiver peeps, full buckhorns, semi-buckhorns, and tang. I've always preferred the peep on any field gun. For a field gun, get peep or full buckhorn. For target, get the tang.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Put the Lyman on it, put a nice blank in the barrel dovetail, and enjoy.
    Hadn't thought about the buckhorn rear sight being in the way if I install the receiver sight. So, where do they sell dovetail blanks?

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Hadn't thought about the buckhorn rear sight being in the way if I install the receiver sight. So, where do they sell dovetail blanks?

Don
    midway usa and brownells and buffalo arms for sure.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used my 45/70 for bear protection for years when I lived in the Alaska Bush and needed it. I had the peep sight with te largest opening, so I could acquire a target as fast as possible. Now I only use it for targets and plinking. I’ve thought about making it more accurate with a smaller peep sight, but if I do, I will have to modify or change the front sight too. That big blade is too big for real accuracy. Bottom line, you need both front and rear sights to be compatible with what you want to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago when we had a really nasty winter here the local deer herd was starving , and every evening about eight of them would come out of the woods early before dusk to dig for acorns in the backyard. I was able to lay out all of my lever guns in the back porch to see which sights worked best. (without shooting) . the hands down winner after about a week were the receiver mounted peep sights .five years ago when Ohio had it's first rifle season in many years I used My Marlin 45-70 with the Williams Fool Proof to take a big Whitetail Doe. receiver sights for Me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post

Don
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    midway usa and brownells and buffalo arms for sure.
    In addition to just buying a plain dovetail blank; I have made them from broken dovetail sights, usually the ones with a pointed finial at the front end. Just cut the leaf and file the opposite end to match.

It really does look better than it sounds.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I have a different situation, but on my .357 Rossi 92 I have a folding dove tail U rear sight and a tang sight. The standard rear sight is faster for me but the tang sight is more precise.

folding dovetail sight
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005904476

tang sight
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005873468
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Okay, now you've gone and done it. Just placed an order for the Lyman receiver sight. The dovetail blank will have to wait, as the place where I got the sight for a good price doesn't sell the blanks.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12