Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyd's At-One Stock

Boolit Grand Master

Boyd's At-One Stock

I am considering getting a new stock for my T/C Compass. The rifle is amazingly accurate but ugly.

Has anyone mounted the At-One stock on one and have any information to share?

I like the idea of having a range of adjustments to get the right fit. Fit helps with recoil and getting the right comb height for the scope.

Thanks
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    I am surprised no one has bought one of these. Any feedback on the quality of their other stocks?
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I am surprised no one has bought one of these. Any feedback on the quality of their other stocks?
    I bought a Boyds stock for a Savage Axis in 2015.
    I posted about it in this thread. see post #35
    It was a tight fit for sure, but once I got a feel for what was needed to install it, it went on great.
    I'm very happy with fit and finish.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3512157
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have purchased Boyd's stocks for two different Savage rifles. Both were a drop in fit with no issues. Both rifles shot better groups afterwards.

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased the At-One stock for a savage rifle. Stock is a pile in my opinion, basically a 2x4 fitted for a rifle action. All the edges are square and uncomfortable in the hand, its heavy and generally just not worth the money. I've tried to sell it a few times but no takers, one of these days I might list it for cheap or take a sander to it and see if I can make it resemble a rifle stock.

Boolit Master

I reckon I’m just old fashioned. I can’t seem to make myself take a liking to these new adjustable or even tactical stocks. I prefer a wood stock in classic or a modified Monte Carlo style.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered one of their new "Spike Camp " style for my Winchester XPR .I ordered it on the 18th of this month,and have not got it yet,but to me they look a lot like the At One thumb hole stock without the adjustments,or plastic grips.They are $99 bucks for Nutmeg,Pepper,or Forest Camo ,and about $15-16 bucks for the other colors,and it seems that they make them for most rifles.I ordered what they call 'Boyds Walnut".I don't really know what that means,but it looked nice in the picture.I am a little concerned about the strength of the walnut due to the thumb hole,but I doubt that Boyds would offer it as an option if it were weak.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86139.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	255621

I have put them on two savages and one tikka, always a great fit, I prefer the prairie hunter or heritage styles. Almost went with an at one for the tikka but just cant warm up to the hard lines.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I reckon I’m just old fashioned. I can’t seem to make myself take a liking to these new adjustable or even tactical stocks. I prefer a wood stock in classic or a modified Monte Carlo style.
    The way I check a stock is to close my eyes, bring the gun up and open them. If the eye is not perfectly centered behind the sight, it does not fit. If I need to move my head forward/backward or side to side, to get a full view on the scope, it does not fit. It is next to impossible to get that with a traditional stock. LOP, comb height, and offset adjustments are typically needed. Also the comb needs to be angled away from the check to reduce recoil into the face. Angles need to be slightly upward front to back, and if right handed, angled right at the front to and left in the rear
    Last edited by dverna; 01-28-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I am considering getting a new stock for my T/C Compass. The rifle is amazingly accurate but ugly.

Has anyone mounted the At-One stock on one and have any information to share?

I like the idea of having a range of adjustments to get the right fit. Fit helps with recoil and getting the right comb height for the scope.

Thanks
    So, you want to take an ugly rifle and put it into an even more ugly stock? IMHO, it certainly won't look any better! I'm sorry, and I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just cannot force myself to like that particular stock, though. It looks to me like Boyd's bean counters looked at all the scrap laminate laying around, and asked 'what can we do with this stuff that will make us some money?' And thus the AT-One stock was born.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Bub
    I got tired of the boat oar stock on my Ruger .223 last year. Looked at Boyd's offerings. I'm not so fussy to need all the adjustments and didn't like the look of the At-One, so went with a Prairie Hunter. Action had a tight press fit after minor deburring. Free float was good. Slim wrist, flat fore end for the bench bag, and comb is high enough. I'm happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1027.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TankerDon View Post
    I got tired of the boat oar stock on my Ruger .223 last year. Looked at Boyd's offerings. I'm not so fussy to need all the adjustments and didn't like the look of the At-One, so went with a Prairie Hunter. Action had a tight press fit after minor deburring. Free float was good. Slim wrist, flat fore end for the bench bag, and comb is high enough. I'm happy with it.
    Now that is a nice looking rifle. Makes me want to go get one.

Boolit Master
    I have handled two of them. The squared edges I am not a fan. The wrist is also funky as it just doesn’t feel right. I think it is a good idea but could sure use a lot more refinement by a shooter.

I have a couple of their other offerings. I have no issue with them. Some guys get all bent out of shape when they are a snug fit and may require a bit of sanding and fitting, not a turn key drop in.
    I would rather have it snug to the point of being tight as to it flopping around like a fish in the bottom of a boat. The snug fit may help accuracy for those not using pillars.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was not aware of the "squared edges" and looking at the grip I see how it is a bit funky. The Thumbhole version may be better?

Maybe go with a more traditional offering. I know a guy who modified my trap gun with an adjustable comb and that may be an option but it would cost more.
    Don Verna

I have one of their thumbhole stocks on a varmint rifle. It works fine for me.

I had 2 Boyds stocks, a featherweight thumbhole and an At- One, both lefthand, both for Axis. The action fit right in the thumbhole, tight but needed no adjustment. The At-One needed a bit of wood gouged out at the rear so the tang would set in and safety would function properly and had to file a bit out of the sides so the magazine would fit, and function . Very easy, just a few minutes. Groups improved slightly with both rifles. But you need big hands. My hands are small, fingers short, for me the large squared edges above the wrist/ safety area, were uncomfortable, hard to get my hand/ fingers right, and difficult to reach the trigger. I liked their looks a lot but sold both.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy

I have handled a Rem model 7, in the Boyds At-One stock, with thumb hole. The stock works as advertised, is adjustable and can be made to fit anyone. The thumb hole felt fine and I would prefer that over the standard stock.
    That said, I think the stock is butt ugly. Also, the inletting was very rough. The action fit fine, but I hated the rough inletting. The owner sanded the inletting more by hand, and added some poly , as he didn't like the rough finish either. The exterior fit and finish was fine.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Pro Varmint for my Axis. It fit very well and later on I bedded it and added pillars. It does fit me well as is. I was prepared to make the comb adjustable but found I didn't need to, probably cause I only have medium height rings on the scope.

These are not in the same class as the higher end after market stuff. It is less expensive for a reason. They might require a little work on your part but they do function well.

Boolit Master
    very hard people to deal with,i just tried buying a feather weight thumbhole from them for a ruger m77,they only do 1 barrel contour and are not interested in doing one that fits your gun,i went with stockystock and had it in 4 days

Boolit Buddy
    The "Spike Camp" stock that I ordered for my Winchester XPR from Boyds on the 18th of last month FINALLY came today .It was cheaply priced,and the stock reflects that fact.The action fit is good,but, the butt pad is a little higher than the stock.I saw pictures before I bought it,but I was a little surprised at how skimpy,and low the butt stock area is.I already had it together,and can't be sure till I take it apart again,but I am pretty sure I can see the grain of the wood running through what looks like the reinforcement lugs in the stock.I think they are in fact painted black dots..I also think these stocks would look better on a shorter barreled rifle.I guess it is not a bad stock for a base price of $100,and would be money well spent to replace a flimsy stock,but even though it was plastic the XPR factory stock was stiff,and had little to no flex,or twist to speak of.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faleWlG.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	257440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uorFz3G.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	257441

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast