Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: I finally went and did it!!

Boolit Buddy

I finally went and did it!!

The first handgun I purchased after turning 21 (18 years ago) was the beautiful 7.5" Ruger Bisley Hunter, chambered in .44mag. In the last 18 years, this firearm has only seen 2 boxes of factory ammo out of the thousands of rounds fired through it. She has seen everything from 240gr pills at 1000fps to 310gr pills at 1400fps. My favorite, and most used load, is a 265gr boolit launched at 1250fps with a healthy dose of HS-6. This gun has eaten likely over 5K of the latter load.

Well, the other day I was working on a new load for hunting using 23gr of H-110 under a 250gr boolit. After sighting in, I was ringing a 4" plate at 50 yards at least 5 out of every cylinder. I was about 40 rounds in when it happened. I lined up my sights, squeezed the trigger, and something hit me in the face. Unsure of what happened, I looked over the firearm to see what had happened.

I didn't see anything that stood out, she seemed tight with a good lockup. Hmmm, I loaded a single round, positioned it under the hammer and fired a second time. This is when I noticed the recoil impulse felt a bit off.

I put the gun up for the day so I could investigate when I got home. Well, when I got home I discovered that I had sheered off one of the screws next to the hammer. It had broke off too deep in the threads for easy removal, so I opted to contact Ruger the next day.

All I can say about Ruger is that they are the absolute best company to deal with. The girl gave me instructions on how to ship the firearm back for a warranty repair as well as instructed me to remove any internal aftermarket parts that I wish to keep, as they will be replacing all the internal components as part of the warranty service. Unlike my experience with Smith, there was no questions about what loads have been shot, how many round have been shot, nothing of the sort. Just simply, send it back and well replace all the internal components and get her back to you ASAP free of charge except for shipping to us.

Yay for you!!! I’m happy to hear a happy ending. I wish more companies would have that great of a warranty.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

The customer service at Ruger is the best I have ever had any dealings with. I have had some issues with the products in the past, but they never snivel or make some weak knee'd excuses, they just fix it. During my ham handed approach days, I cracked the bottom metal on a model 77 that I had had for years and they sent me a new one for no more than a phone call. They even fixed a mini-14 that I bought used. One of the reasons my carry gun is an Ec9s is the reliability that is paramount in a weapon you are going to bet your life with.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banner Sponsor

Excellent news.
    I have an old model single six that spits lead terribly. I'd like to send it back for a new cylinder, but I don't want the transfer bar parts upgraded.

Boolit Master
    First off,, it's good you weren't hurt.

And yes,, Ruger will fix it the correct way.

But if anyone ever looks for a written warranty for Ruger firearms,,,, you won't find one now. Long, long ago,, Bill Ruger discovered he was building a top quality product. AND,, it was actually much cheaper & easier to fix the few problems,, than be bound by a written warranty. His lawyers showed him the hows & whys. So,, he did away with any written warranty,, and they just fixed stuff.
    To this day,, it's still the way they do things.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Excellent news.
    I have an old model single six that spits lead terribly. I'd like to send it back for a new cylinder, but I don't want the transfer bar parts upgraded.
    When Ruger upgrades the old-style revolvers to the transfer-bar system, they return the original parts to the owner. You can then put them back and set aside the new parts to go with the gun to its eventual new owner.

Tatume, all too many of us don't realize that these guns will ALL go to their eventual new owner!

Anyway, Ruger and Dillon are the best companies shooters have to do business with!
    Regards,

Gary