MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Smoked backstrap

Boolit Buddy

Smoked backstrap

So I had some friends over and broke out the backstrap today, smoked it over hickory coals for 3 hours till medium rare!!! Fried some onions and jalapeños with some cheese, fried corn and a home made apple cobbler(with apples from the back yard)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C12ADD4-4279-49AD-941A-5FB801763496.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	255502

Boolit Master

YUM!!!!
    Good eating
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Looks good!

Boolit Master
    Now I'm wiping my chin off.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

We wrapped one in bacon and smoked it about a month ago. Mighty fine. I'm going to save most of my backstraps this way now. Cut it half and freeze it

Boolit Buddy
    I keep most of my meat in large muscle groups I don’t cut steaks when I’m butchering, if I want steaks I’ll pull a top side out and make steaks

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I guess I need to get a real smoker one of these days. All I have is my little electric totem smoker. I’m guessing it wouldn’t ever get hot enough to do something like this? It makes good venison jerky. I had to leave it in for 24 hours the other day just to get it done. I’ve smoked fish in it on summer days which takes about eight hours. But I’m guessing actually smoking meat like this get an acceptable internal temperature on the traps it would never get hot enough.

I’m wondering if I could just smoke it for a couple hours to get the smoky flavor in it and then finish it off in the oven to get it hot enough???

Moderator Emeritus

Use the totem to apply smoke for 1-2 hours then transfer the meat to the oven to finish.

I’ll have to go to try thanks Mary.

Used the pit boss to smoke some little bacon wrapped venison tenderloins this evening. Good thing I took a sample bite because Wife and Son devoured the rest

Boolit Master

It’s my Christmas Eve thing here.

One of our absolute favorites next to Salmon done same.

I have don’t more than my share of making converts into eating bambi feeding folks this!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Use the totem to apply smoke for 1-2 hours then transfer the meat to the oven to finish.
    Mary I tried this for the first time yesterday on an 11 pound turkey. I rubbed it with kosher salt and brown sugar before putting in my lil totem smoker for 2 hours. Normally in times past it seems 2 hours burns most of my wood so I figured that would be a good removal point. I used some twigs off my cherry trees for wood. After two hours I removed it. The bird was pretty wet yet but I could see the tips of the wings were a little brown and the bottom stuck to the pan I had it sitting on in the smoker. I left the juice that accumulated on the cavity as I had a bunch of brown sugar I put in it before smoking. I painted it down with mayonnaise and some poultry seasoning. Then I put it in the oven at 325. It said 3 to 3.5 hours. After two hours I covered the top with tin foil. I check it at the three hour mark and the breast pegged the temp scale at 190 degrees and the through was 180 as suggested on the directions for the correct temp. When I poked the breast to check temp and removed my thermometer juice shot out of my three test spots like a garden hose. This was the first turkey I ever made that I didn’t shoot out of the woods. I can tell you it was the best turkey I ever ate! Extremely tender and juicy with a good smokey flavor! I’ll be doing this ALOT more!!!

I don’t know if it was the smoke or the mayo that locked in all the juice but I never had a juicier turkey at all the restaurants, Christmas, and thanksgiving sacrifices that made it to the table,Lol.

I’ll have to try it with a venison back strap next.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-09-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I was just given a old metal school locker thats going to get racks fire pot and pan for a smoker This will be nice and should be very use able. I currently use a old grill with the fire pot and pan off to the side. It does do a fair job though. If things go right the louvers at the bottom and top of the door will be enough to maintain fir and smoke flow like it needs. I can fit a sliding piece over the lower louvers for some added control also.

I have done salmon, steaks, briskets, pork loins, chops, various fish, and even some vegetables in the existing one. I did do one turkey for thanksgiving but the almost 12 hours was a long time to be sitting the smoker. I did do one pheasant and it was very good also.

Havent tried any venison yet

Smoking done low and slow is great eating.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Mary I tried this for the first time yesterday on an 11 pound turkey. I rubbed it with kosher salt and brown sugar before putting in my lil totem smoker for 2 hours. Normally in times past it seems 2 hours burns most of my wood so I figured that would be a good removal point. I used some twigs off my cherry trees for wood. After two hours I removed it. The bird was pretty wet yet but I could see the tips of the wings were a little brown and the bottom stuck to the pan I had it sitting on in the smoker. I left the juice that accumulated on the cavity as I had a bunch of brown sugar I put in it before smoking. I painted it down with mayonnaise and some poultry seasoning. Then I put it in the oven at 325. It said 3 to 3.5 hours. After two hours I covered the top with tin foil. I check it at the three hour mark and the breast pegged the temp scale at 190 degrees and the through was 180 as suggested on the directions for the correct temp. When I poked the breast to check temp and removed my thermometer juice shot out of my three test spots like a garden hose. This was the first turkey I ever made that I didn’t shoot out of the woods. I can tell you it was the best turkey I ever ate! Extremely tender and juicy with a good smokey flavor! I’ll be doing this ALOT more!!!

I don’t know if it was the smoke or the mayo that locked in all the juice but I never had a juicier turkey at all the restaurants, Christmas, and thanksgiving sacrifices that made it to the table,Lol.

I’ll have to try it with a venison back strap next.
    The smoke forms a skin on the bird that keeps moisture in. I dry them off, rub with butter under the skin over the breast/season/drape with bacon if I am in the mood for that then into the fridge uncovered until the skin feels tacky on the legs. This can be 2-6 hours depending on how humid your fridge is. That is called a pellicle and it will help keep moisture in as does the smoke for 2-3 hours to get a nice color. Then I bump the Traeger to 350 and bake. Once you get the Traeger above the smoke setting you don't get a lot more smoke flavor, I have baked bread and pies in mine!

Boolit Master
    I did a venison backstrip wrapped in bacon, just salt and pepper, pulled it off at 125 deg internal and took to my son and his girlfriend. I got a couple slices, I think it was good???
    As far as baking, I am thinking that a dark chocolate cake, lightly smoked , would be perfect. Especially with some Coursair Hydra, neat!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos