RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Bullets in different guns - 223 and 9mm - Some feed, some don't

Boolit Bub

Bullets in different guns - 223 and 9mm - Some feed, some don't

So - I go shooting with my buddy. Good little setup. I load 9mm lead bullets and 223s. Go to the spot start shooting.....all my 9mm feed great in my Glock 19 and Canik....but he puts them in his Glock 19x and wham! They lock it up.....twice. My ARs shoot all my bullets I reloaded fine - about 600 of them....and he can't get them to feed right in his ARs. I did case gauge checks, they are fine. Maybe cleanliness of the guns (mine are always cleaned and lubed) Magazines? Not sure. Any ideas??

Did you try your magazines in his AR?

Boolit Master

Seating depth, feed ramp angle and feed ramp polish.

I had same problems since I have 5 different 9mm Lugers. OAL on one cartridge will work great in one gun but stove pipe the next. Take a look at the feed ramp and make sure it is polished then slowly adjust your AOL till they feed in all the guns.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Some autoloaders can be finicky. OAL and power need to be within norms. Not sure what you mean by 'locks it up'. OAL too long or case not sized correctly, and the round won't chamber reliably and may be hard to extract. OAL too short and you can get feed problems. Like Rcmaveric said, vary your OAL and try to find the sweet spot. I always start by adjusting my bullet seater on a factory round, then try longer/shorter for better accuracy. Remember that bullet weight changes the ogive and heavier bullets may need to be seated a bit deeper. I stay with 55 gr bullets in my 223 for plinking even though I get better accuracy with the heavies.

As for power, I've seen a couple guys at the range have their slides lock back after most shots (9mm). In both cases the problem was too hot of a load, rounds with middling horsepower cycled fine. Of course too little power isn't good either, resulting in stovepipes, fail to feed, or jams. Cleanliness? If you're 600 rounds into an afternoon I'm assuming your rifle isn't really pristine either. If a gun cycles factory ammo without complaining but has issues with my reloads, I always assume it's my reloads at fault.

Boolit Bub
    I will check it out on the OAL. It would not feed into his 19x. Both Glocks, mine is a regular 19. We had to use a rubber hammer to get it into battery and then it shot through. Cast boolits - so I may just spend a little extra and buy "regular" FMJs. I agree with the use of a factory bullet to check the depth - had an issue with Walthers brand guns and reloads with too long of OAL. Great idea. Just a bit frustrating....I mean I use the same dies as everyone else....why the heck doesn't it work right?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNapper View Post
    Some autoloaders can be finicky. OAL and power need to be within norms. Not sure what you mean by 'locks it up'. OAL too long or case not sized correctly, and the round won't chamber reliably and may be hard to extract. OAL too short and you can get feed problems. Like Rcmaveric said, vary your OAL and try to find the sweet spot. I always start by adjusting my bullet seater on a factory round, then try longer/shorter for better accuracy. Remember that bullet weight changes the ogive and heavier bullets may need to be seated a bit deeper. I stay with 55 gr bullets in my 223 for plinking even though I get better accuracy with the heavies.

As for power, I've seen a couple guys at the range have their slides lock back after most shots (9mm). In both cases the problem was too hot of a load, rounds with middling horsepower cycled fine. Of course too little power isn't good either, resulting in stovepipes, fail to feed, or jams. Cleanliness? If you're 600 rounds into an afternoon I'm assuming your rifle isn't really pristine either. If a gun cycles factory ammo without complaining but has issues with my reloads, I always assume it's my reloads at fault.

Boolit Grand Master
    Check your alloy as well. Try some bullets cast from Linotype.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    How do they jam , not completely closing the slide ?
    More information would be helpful like Boolit profile , charge ,OAL , size .....

I am with Tazman, try your mags in his AR and is his Glock stock? Glocks are not known to be unreliable until people start “upgrading” them.

Boolit Master
    Just a suggestion , if your gun does not go into battery in a normal fashion when trying new loads to the gun don't force it , extract the round and look for marks on it they may give you a clue as to what the problem is.
    This also gives you the opportunity to check for a bore obstruction .

Banned

check your seating depth and make sure your not over crimping

Boolit Master
    Mark another vote for OAL. Your Glock has a longer freebore/leade than your buddies'. You need to seat your bullets a little shorter if you want him to shoot your ammo. I have noticed the same difference between my regular glock 9's and my 5" IDP-length Glock. The 5" has a shorter leade/freebore, and the normal Glocks are... like enormously long and will feed almost anything that will fit in the mag.

I use the Bator 223 mold. I have some mags which feed fine, and one which won't, because the mag sits lower. The top cartridge is held maybe ~40 thous lower when the mag is seated.