Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need Advice for Loading Cast in 9mm

Boolit Master

Need Advice for Loading Cast in 9mm

I have this mold:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...um-6-Cav-Brass

And am waiting for this one in No Lube Groove:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-8-cav-Solid

I plan to use either of them to load both for myself and my two grandsons. Loads will be used for practice and plinking. Obviously, I'm not looking for max loads or even close. The grandsons are not completely new to firearms since their father, my son, is familiar with guns and loves to hunt. Both grandsons are, or shortly will be over 21. I'm hoping that they can become proficient enough to feel comfortable with concealed carry.

All this to try to limit my question and the responses. I'm looking for dependable loads using the 135 gr boolit referenced above. I have several powders including Bullseye, Red Dot, HS-6 and a little of AA#5. I also have a jug of Promo and have wondered if it would be suitable since it is more dense than Red Dot. I ask about Red Dot and Promo because I don't find loads using either for bullets of this weight or more in the several manuals I have.

Any help or direction on this will be appreciated.
    John
    W.TN

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I no longer have any 9mm autoloaders, so load only for REVOLVERS, S&W 940 and Ruger SP101.

I use Accurate 36-142H cast in COWW and sized .357" with 3.2 grains of Bullseye. Friends I shoot with also use this load in Browning HP, Ruger P9S and S&W Shield. Not full charge load, but good for practice.

Attachment 255488
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Thanks, Outpost 75. I'll look seriously at that Accurate bullet. I only have one Accurate mold at present but have several on my radar. I've been favorably impressed by the one mold I have. I do have an 8 lb jug of Bullseys

I'm wondering if the Ruger P9S is a typo? I gave each of my two sons a Ruger P95 a few years ago after I had checked both of them out. I was very impressed that both guns digested just about anything I loaded them with.

I'm hoping that I can come up with a load that will work in any of the 9mm autoloaders we have. Between us we have autoloaders from S&W(Shield), Ruger, SigSauer, Springfield and Glock. I have yet to see anyone recommend powder coat boolits in Glock. I'm not ready to use regular lubed cast in Glock just yet, even though I've seen several post that indicate they use cast without problems.
    John
    W.TN

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Sorry, Ruger LC9. We are using LLA and NOT powder coating.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I use Bullseye in both of my 9 mm pistols. I get a lot of shots per pound.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have the NOE version of that boolit. Look at the loads for both 125 grain and 147 grain and split the difference. The 135 grain is right in the middle on weight.
    All of the powders you have should work fine for your stated use.

Moderator Emeritus

I prefer Bullseye for 9mm. but I have used Unique and PowerPistol.

I like using Red Dot for other calibers, mostly because I acquired a large quantity in a swap, so I have almost nothing invested (20+ lbs in cans from the 1970s)...I got that lot shortly after I first started loading in late 90s/early 2000s, and I am still working on using it up. But, I've never used it for 9mm, Because of metering issues. Lee data book, 2nd Ed. lists 4.3gr RD starting load for a 125gr Lead boolit. RD in that low of a charge, doesn't meter consistent enough for my liking in the Lee auto-disk measure (what I use on a turret press).

I got a jug of Promo during the shortage...just in case, but I haven't cracked the seal yet...but it should work the same as Red Dot, just be sure to work up a charge.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Red Dot, Promo, Unique and any largish flake powders are positively dangerous in the Lee Auto Disk measures in charges below about 3.8 grains. Do not attempt!!!

Bullseye vastly better than any large flake powder when used in small charges such as these.

Boolit Master

I don't use or even have a Lee Auto Disk measure. Based on replies so far, I am not going to use Red Dot/Promo in the 9mm. Right now Bullseye is at the top of my list. Hopefully, I can work up a load and then set up the Dillon 550B to load some serious quantities.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    True Blue is a good spherical powder also.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Mihec bullet (in your link) cast from 8/9bhn range scrap need protected with the right expander
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sized to .358", no wasp waist or bullet bulge or bullet base showing when looking at the 9mm case/loaded round.
    [IMG][/IMG]

5.0gr ow wst Not hand/cherry picked target by any means. Nothing more than the test target used that day testing loads, 10-shot groups @ 50ft with a mn 1911 chambered in 9mm.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm using the same bullet in your link cast with 8/9bhn ranger scrap. Pc'd and sized to .358" and seated in 1 stage to 1.130" and a +/- 2/1000th's taper crimp in a separate stage. wst or aa#2 are the best powders I've found so far for target loads with the 9mm.

3.5 Red Dot with a 135 Coated Cast Bayou Bullet gives 975fps in my Sig226 and 1128 in my Colt 9mmAR.
    6.6 HS-6 with the 135 Bayou Bullet gives 1132fps in the Sig226. The HS-6 load is pretty hot; the Colt 9mm AR 16inch barrel delivers it at 1390fps.

As always, I am not recommending, just sharing.