Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMR 3031 in 30-06

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Twenty to thirty years ago, when I was shooting a lot of .3006, 3031 was all I used. I used it mainly for hunting and plinking off season, with a 180gn jacketed bullet. I can’t remember the charge, but it was near maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I went back and tested some again yesterday with nicer weather. I got a circular 1" 5 shot group with 46.0 grains 3031. The 48 grain charge did a 3" 5 shot group, glad I retested instead of just going with it. That's using a 4 power scope. I ain't never been much of a target shooter, so I'm still working on my technique.
    Looks like you are good to go there.

Boolit Buddy
    IMR 3031 is one of my favorite powders. I have worked up really nice hunting loads for my 303 Brit, 7.5x55 Swiss, 30-06 & 7.7 Jap. Bullet range from 150 - 165 gr.

Though my go to 06 powder is IMR 4895.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Looks like you got your load . Unless you are a real good shot you wont likely beat a 1" 5 shot group . If you can repeat that group with that load I would stick with it and be happy for the rest of my life . Never been a big 06' fan but I do love the 3031 , never been without it since I started loading and bought a pound of it as my first smokeless powder to load 8mm . I gave $1.35 for that pound of powder , wish I could still buy it for that !
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I have some 150 NBTs loaded in front of 3031 but it was so long ago I have no idea the amount (Hornady Manual) and the ammo is not real handy to get to right now.
    I will try to remember to look tomorrow when I am looking for 45 boolits.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    If what I read somewhere a few years ago is true, it's great trivia. The standard powder for 30-06 was IMR 4895, and it was made in huge batches (trainloads of 600 ton batches) during WW2. If a batch had a slightly faster burn rate than desired, it was labeled 3031 so the ammo manufactures would cut the powder charge to compensate. If it had a slower burn rate, the code was 4064 and more was added to the cartridges.

Thanks for the replies.

Norske, if that's true, that's real neat. You got an article on it?

Boolit Master
    No, didn't save it.

Boolit Master

I load 3031 on the other end of the spectrum (lightest to cycle the action) using PC boolits.
    34g works for me using 311413 (~171g on my alloy) & 37g on NOE-311-150SP (152g).
    Not meant for matches, but I can dump clips after clips with decent grouping (at best 8 shots almost touching @ 50yds) with neither a sore 80-yr old rifle nor shoulder. ymmv
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Thanks for the info sig, I been pondering working a load with the 31141.

The animals and targets you shoot will not know the difference between IMR 3031, 4064, Varget, 4895, Benchmark, 4350....etc....
    The average velocity difference even with the most temperature intolerant powders will not make so much of a difference to cause a miss at average woods hunting distances. IMR 3031 has proven to fluxuate at approximately 1.31 feet per degree of change from your baseline load criteria. So do the math and you can see that a swing of 50 fps will not make much of a difference to a deer rib cage or elk hide. Where the difference can be seen is at more profound shooting distances and circumstances. IMR 3031 is an excellent extruded powder and often produces very low ES in the 30.06. I know this from experimentation over the last 25 years with the old 06.
    My hunting load is---and I repeat my gun, my load, use discretion
    Lapua brass
    Rem 9 1/2 primers
    53 gr IMR 4064
    Sierra 150 gr Gameking
    Has been deer poison for going on 35 years with my grand paps Win Model 70 Sporter
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

In addition to the above reply on the difference between 3031, 4064, 4895.
    If you examine IMR powders from the above lists you will notice some very similar traits. Smell, texture, color all appear the same. Difference is the dimensions and length of the extrusion. The nitro based solutions are the same along with the graphite coating. The difference in burn rate comes from the design of the stick. Circumference and length. Most of your stick IMR powders are from the same allotment of ingredients. Thus your difference from fast burning to slower burning magnum sticks like 4350 and 7828.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12